PDA

View Full Version : What are problems on 2nd Gen MR2'S

Lo Pro
05-09-2005, 12:15 AM
Just like the title says im wondering about any problems that people have encountered with there MR2'S.....are there any that are really common that i should know about.......a major is with the T-Top, does it tend to leak alot?....other than that if you could tell me some other problems i may run into that would be great....

thanks

Redlyne_mr2
05-09-2005, 12:18 AM
ttop leaks are an easy fix, just replace the seals. The turbo will wear out around 160 000kms. The early MKII had weak synchros which an lead to tranmission failure. The cd players barely play cds after a while because they are so old and dirty. Thats about it.

90awdwagovan.
05-10-2005, 09:36 AM
don't forget the HFH, hahaha.

Redlyne_mr2
05-10-2005, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by 90awdwagovan.
don't forget the HFH, hahaha.
Sweet jesus dont remind me:rofl:

3S-GTE
05-10-2005, 06:25 PM
hmmmmmmmm lemme think for me the problem is not enough hp:)

clem24
05-11-2005, 03:58 PM
Check www.mr2.com. Best resource for noobs with lots of FAQs and articles. Then check out www.mr2oc.com.

Hmm, the major things I've had to replace in my MR2 aside from regular maintenance items like brakes and struts:

Rear crossmember ($950)
Power window actuator ($200)
T-stat ($15)
T top inserts ($20)
Sticky starter (not yet replaced est. ~$225)
Worn syncs (not yet replaced est ~$2,000)

That's about it. Not too bad for such an old car. My baby will turn 200,000 in 3,000kms. It's still running on the original engine/turbo. Boosts to 9psi stock no problems, 13.5psi with boost control. Anything above that and I hit fuel cut (which is very scary might I add). I'd install an FCD, but I don't think I need anything above that. It's fairly quick, but no match for WRXes.

Definitely the most troublesome item is the synchros, as Ryan says. You won't notice them if you shift like a granny, but as soon as you try to do a quick 1-2 or (more commonly) 2-3 at about 4k rpms, you'll notice a crunch. I think just about every 91-92 has worn syncs unless it's been rebuilt.

Without going into details, I'd have to say the turbo doesn't usually go bad; it's usually *other* stuff the breaks in the engine that causes the ecu to limit boost. This makes it seem like your turbo is going bad.

clem..

Ek9Max
05-11-2005, 04:08 PM
ym stupid alternator just pooched

Lo Pro
05-18-2005, 08:53 PM
i have been reading some more on the mr2 and it said that steering becomes a little light after 200km because apparently the front end tends to lift up a bit, is this happened to anyone

Ek9Max
05-18-2005, 10:55 PM
The whole car is a problem!!!! I'm ready to burn this POS. And every other mr2 I ever see.

CanadianFC
05-19-2005, 09:48 AM
Let's see..

So far - Struts, new tires, t-stat, ball joints. Not too bad I guess.
Oh and lots of gas... But that's only within the last 2 months.

The biggest problem I find are all the creaks and rattles, even after pulling out all the panels off and replacing all the clips, screws, etc.

clem24
05-19-2005, 04:08 PM
Hey you get that too hey? My MKII creaks like crazy. There aren't any rattles though. But just moving from a stand still, I can hear creaks. My 90 Celica doesn't even do that. Have you lowered your car? I just wonder if this is an after effect of lowering. I just wonder if the harsher struts and springs transfers more of the energy to the chassis, thus weakening it. Just need more chassis reinforcements I guess?

EK9: I don't know man, I'd have to say given the type of car, it is quite reliable. Just keep in mind you're dealing with an old car and things break. I think the MR2 is worth it. Maybe your problems aren't typical? DOn't burn it down man!! (or mine).

clem..

Lo Pro
05-20-2005, 08:07 AM
ok well thanks for that info but no one really answered my question above......are the creaks really bad and are they all the time

Lo Pro
05-20-2005, 08:15 AM
is parts and labor really that exspensive for this car...what does toyota charge an hour 95 bucks....do you guys not reccomend this car unless you have cash money

thinmyster
05-20-2005, 08:39 AM
im poor and i drive one although not a daily driver and not in the winter... this should hopefully prolong the life of the car

jvillain
05-20-2005, 10:37 AM
These cars are very reliable. Most big problems with these cars are self induced.

The speed problem was really only a factor on the 91/92. There are a number of things you can do to help keep the car down at speed. First swap to the 93+ nose or add a lip, lower the car, add the wind deflectors to the front tires, make sure the tops are in, put the spare back in the frunk, make sure you don't jack the rake with a goofy wheel combo, make sure your suspension componenents are in good shape.

I've had my 91 up to the speed limiter and it wasn't bad. It isn't as good as my 240SX-SE was on the speed limiter but it isn't bad. The 240 was stabler at 240kmh than it was 30.

clem24
05-20-2005, 08:17 PM
Dude you're nuts. Where can you safely (and legally) go 240 in calgary?!? Sorry I just get pissed off if ppl have a complete disregard for public safety and do whatever they want. Kinda like drunk drivers that usually end up killing someone else, not themselves. Sorry man I am not attacking you personally or anything...

clem..

Lo Pro
05-21-2005, 12:11 AM
okay this topic is getting off topic....who cares if he goes 240, dont tell me you havnt because i wont believe because everyone test the limits.....so does anyone have problems with creaks in there veichles like the guys above....have you guys replaced any of your interior parts yet like screws etc

thinmyster
05-21-2005, 01:57 PM
ive almost completed my whole interior swap?

Ek9Max
05-21-2005, 02:37 PM
Wel I find this car WAY more solid than any honda I ever owned.....

jvillain
05-23-2005, 07:51 AM
Dude you're nuts. Where can you safely (and legally) go 240 in calgary?!? Sorry I just get pissed off if ppl have a complete disregard for public safety and do whatever they want. Kinda like drunk drivers that usually end up killing someone else, not themselves. Sorry man I am not attacking you personally or anything...

clem..

I also hate it when people jump to conclusions and then blast people from some supposed BS high ground.

No one is going to run that fast inside of Calgary with the exception of Race City where I can get close to but not quite up to the speed limiter on the front strait with a good run out of the carasel. My other runs were all done on closed roads.

I work hard to get racers off the street and into organized events because the street racers are destroying it with the insurance companies for us.

Redlyne_mr2
05-23-2005, 11:29 AM
This is the first time Ive ever heard of creeks in an mr2. Mine is super super solid as are many others that Ive driven. The only think I could imagine a creek coming from is an improperly mounted side door. Either because of an accident or the person putting it back together didnt know what they were doing.

CanadianFC
05-23-2005, 09:51 PM
There's little rattles here and there, but that's really expected from a older light car. May have to do with the suspension set up as well.

clem24
05-24-2005, 01:35 PM
Heh heh that's good man. I am glad you're not one of "those". Like I said, I wasn't attacking you personally, but your post just made it not sound good. Sorry if I offended you, but at least we believe in the same cause! :drama:

Insurance isn't that bad. I think I pay about $570 for 6 months? Only problem is, if I smash it up, they're not going to pay me what the car is actually worth, and I don't think it's worth the extra $$$ if they insure it for the appraised value. Just gotta be extra careful!! (although going to the track makes the point moot!! haha)

clem..

Originally posted by jvillain

I also hate it when people jump to conclusions and then blast people from some supposed BS high ground.

No one is going to run that fast inside of Calgary with the exception of Race City where I can get close to but not quite up to the speed limiter on the front strait with a good run out of the carasel. My other runs were all done on closed roads.

I work hard to get racers off the street and into organized events because the street racers are destroying it with the insurance companies for us.

jvillain
05-24-2005, 05:24 PM
The problem is if your car is modded or you use it for racing your insurance company can refuse your claims or drop you from coverage. Relief may be on the way though. If you look at this link
http://www.solocanada.ca/

There is this story

Auto Hobbyists Feel Insurance Heat

Auto hobbyists feel insurance heat; Ont. brake maker tries something new (Modified - Car - Insurance).
Source: The Canadian Press
Jan 16, 2005 13:35

Give it a read. There are some forum threads over there on it as well.