PDA

View Full Version : cavaliers

Lilac Wine
05-09-2005, 09:28 AM
So i'm looking at 2 cavaliers right now...
I don't need to here how they suck etc.... Its what I want right now and within my budget so it's what I will be going for.
I won't go into price, i'll just say they are the same price but one I have to pay taxes for so it will be about $1000 more.
1) is a 1998 Z22 manual transmission (which i'm going to have to learn to drive, I have everything set up to learn) It is in excellent shape, dark red, no sunroof, no automatic locks or windows. Only 80,000km with a gm warrenty and roadside assistance up to 100,00km. I would be buying this one form a coworker and would not pay tax.
2) is a 1999 z24 automatic (much more convenient) It is in pretty good shape, just a couple little chips and dings, dark red (nicer than the other one) sunroof, automatic everything. I like the other one, but this one is pretty much exactly what I always wanted except it has 141,000km :( Is that too much for a 1999 cavalier?
I am so torn!
Opinions please.

infected
05-09-2005, 09:45 AM
I'd go for the first one just becuase you'll have more fun with it.

Aleks
05-09-2005, 09:59 AM
1st one less km, manual will be somewhat better on gas.

Barking_Spidre
05-09-2005, 10:00 AM
I'd have to say the first one. Automatic locks and windows aren't a big deal, and manual is way more fun then auto.
And it has warranty on it. You're also buying it from a co-worker, who you can probably trust much more then a stealership. :thumbsup:

A790
05-09-2005, 10:28 AM
Yea, the Z22 will be a better choice. The 94 Z24 doesn't offer anything spectacular, and it's an auto.

BumpinTalon
05-09-2005, 10:34 AM
Cavaliers aren't so bad, I just about bought one until I got the Talon
get the lower mileage one with the manual tranny for sure.

Nissanaddict
05-09-2005, 12:50 PM
yeah, the automatic on that Z24 will kill a lot. A ecotec (less hp than a 2.4) with only an intake and a 5 speed, roasts a 2.4 auto with intake, full exhaust (headers too) throttle body spacer, and other little stuff.

Weapon_R
05-09-2005, 12:53 PM
Seeing as how the price is some sort of big secret, its impossible for anyone to give you a decent opinion. Personally, i'd take neither. There is no reason for you to settle for one from a dealership and pay $1000 in taxes (which I don't even understand, that would mean you are paying around 8-8.5k for them, and neither is worth half that much)

Mr. Burns
05-09-2005, 12:59 PM
I guess If I had to choose between the 2 I'd go with the z22 ONLY because of the manual trans.

Lilac Wine
05-10-2005, 12:04 PM
does everyone here prefer manual transmissions?
I guess first of all I will have to see if I can learn to drive it/like it.

tapout
05-10-2005, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Lilac Wine
So i'm looking at 2 cavaliers right now...
I don't need to here how they suck etc.... Its what I want right now and within my budget so it's what I will be going for.
I won't go into price, i'll just say they are the same price but one I have to pay taxes for so it will be about $1000 more.
1) is a 1998 Z22 manual transmission (which i'm going to have to learn to drive, I have everything set up to learn) It is in excellent shape, dark red, no sunroof, no automatic locks or windows. Only 80,000km with a gm warrenty and roadside assistance up to 100,00km. I would be buying this one form a coworker and would not pay tax.
2) is a 1999 z24 automatic (much more convenient) It is in pretty good shape, just a couple little chips and dings, dark red (nicer than the other one) sunroof, automatic everything. I like the other one, but this one is pretty much exactly what I always wanted except it has 141,000km :( Is that too much for a 1999 cavalier?
I am so torn!
Opinions please. what ever u do make sure u go for a z24 & not z22 resale value is beter z24 is beter and comes with more options and beter engine.i saw in the buysell 2000 z24 5 spd loaded 52000 km for 5500 obo let me no i will get the # for ya cheers:thumbsup:

Mr. Burns
05-10-2005, 12:28 PM
^ I think her options are limited because of her location.

Lilac Wine
05-10-2005, 12:29 PM
yeah, there isn't too much in kamloops.
and I never see cheap cavaliers.

heavyD
05-10-2005, 12:59 PM
yeah, there isn't too much in kamloops.
and I never see cheap cavaliers.

Why the grumpy pic in your avatar? You haven't even bought the car yet and you are having J-body buyer's depression.;)

AsianCaucasian
05-10-2005, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Why the grumpy pic in your avatar? You haven't even bought the car yet and you are having J-body buyer's depression.;)

lol:rofl: :rofl:

Weapon_R
05-10-2005, 01:09 PM
It may be worthwhile to come out here and get one. A Z24 would be better, but with 140k, it won't take long for it to hit 170k, and then they're worthless after that.

You can pick up a 2000 Z24 manual OR automatic here for 5k. Use the rest to take your husband out for a 3 day vacation to Calgary (which is probably like Mexico compared to Kamloops :poosie: )

Phy
05-10-2005, 01:25 PM
^I don't think it snows in May in Mexico.

Lilac Wine
05-10-2005, 01:31 PM
Haha first of all that is just me looking devilish.
And i've been to calgary many times and don't care to live there.
And I do'nt have a husdand...

heavyD
05-10-2005, 05:16 PM
And I do'nt have a husdand...

More pics please!:D

Darkane
05-10-2005, 05:18 PM
^ hahaha excellent! :devil:

Lilac Wine
05-10-2005, 07:14 PM
I can't get any other pic to work as my avatar!!!
:dunno:

ex1z7
05-10-2005, 07:37 PM
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. E-Mackin' !

FiveFreshFish
05-10-2005, 10:06 PM
does everyone here prefer manual transmissions?
I guess first of all I will have to see if I can learn to drive it/like it.

It's YOUR preference that's important.

My sister bought a new car with a manual transmission and had to learn how to drive it. She muddled through 6 years of ownership before giving it up and going back to an automatic. Obviously, she should have bought an automatic in the first place, but pressure from her "expert" car friends led her astray.

Learning to drive a manual isn't that hard. Driving it WELL is another thing that takes lots of time and practice before it comes naturally, and many people never get to that point no matter how long they've been driving.

k_dawg
05-11-2005, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by ex1z7
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. E-Mackin' !

lol aww I got here too late, everyone is already e-macking. This has turned into a mack thread lol. IMO I would go with number 1 because of the lesser kilometers and the fact that you will save money with manual than automatic on gas. Also the first one still has the warrenty does the second one come with warrenty?

tapout
05-11-2005, 02:54 AM
Haha first of all that is just me looking devilish.
And i've been to calgary many times and don't care to live there.
And I do'nt have a husdand... weapon r is rightu will save lots buying one here u can fly in and out la hansen fowarding charges 200 $ to ship a car from calgary to vancouver

heavyD
05-11-2005, 08:06 AM
I can't get any other pic to work as my avatar!!!
:dunno:

Just attach some pics to your message. You can see by my avatar that I'm a pretty handsome man.;)

Lilac Wine
05-11-2005, 12:18 PM
eww that better not be your real pic.
The one at the dealership comes with a 90 day 15% parts and labour warrenty

AsianCaucasian
05-11-2005, 12:21 PM

OWNED :eek:

heavyD
05-11-2005, 12:33 PM

The lighting was bad in that pic plus I've lost 3 pounds since then, and I've been using "just for men" to get my hair color back to natural.

Besides I only want to get to know you for your personality as I can't be sure that's you in your avatar anyway.:)

BTW: I would take option 1 as a high mileage J-body is very hard to sell for a decent return and you will be better off in the long run opting for the 5-speed and it's always good to learn new things (you will get the hang of it eventually). The 60000 extra km's on the other car are like 2-3 years more wear & tear on the car. You don't necessarily have to get either car if they don't meet your criteria (ie: automatic, Z24, mileage, price, etc.) as there are tons of Cavaliers out there and you shouldn't have a problem getting the one that suits you best. Just be patient and don't rush into anything you don't feel comfortable with.

Lilac Wine
05-11-2005, 08:30 PM
yeah i'm just going to take the lessons and see (cause the guy/coworker I plan on buying from is paying for them)
and that is me in the pic! Except I usually dont' look quite that grumpy.