PDA

View Full Version : stolen cheque

thinmyster
05-09-2005, 03:28 PM
well being the dumbass i am i ended up losing my gov check within hours of receiving it.. Somewhere between leaving my house to going to TKD. Anyways apparently its been cashed, so now i have to go down to the gov building tomorrow and sign a decloration? or something. I hope the fucker that cashed it burns :whipped: :whipped: even though i wasn't a heavy check i still need that shit for school !!! Anyone else gone through a similar problem? Or know if ill get my money back ?

Mr. Burns
05-09-2005, 03:34 PM
Shitty for you man. The gov't should be able to find out who cashed it though... correct me if I am wrong.

sabad66
05-09-2005, 03:34 PM
Did you sign it as soon as you got it? I always sign my cheques at the bank to prevent shit like this from happening.

skandalz
05-09-2005, 03:43 PM
i always thought that a person had to show ID when cashing a cheque? wouldn't the teller notice that the persons name who is cashing the cheque doesn't match who the cheque is made out to?

thinmyster
05-09-2005, 03:43 PM
no i had'nt signed it at all... folded it up put it in my pocket? called that night to cancel it?? that was nearly a month ago i think... anyways they were supposed to send me something in the mail but they never did. I called today and apparently it has been cashed.. Im like well how can someone do that? and the lady's like lots of places will take them? I dont know how or why because the name wouldnt match ?

thinmyster
05-09-2005, 03:44 PM
i have to go tomorrow to sign that decloration saying the signatures not the same

thinmyster
05-09-2005, 03:47 PM
oh yeah and i asked the lady where when and who cashed it and she either didnt know or wouldnt/coundnt tell me?

garyb
05-09-2005, 03:53 PM
to cash a gov't cheque at a bank, you either need an account or have 2 pieces of Gov't issued ID that match the cheque, including address

eblend
05-09-2005, 03:53 PM
hum...singing your cheques?? why would you do that? if you sign a check on the back that means you endorsed it, and ANYONE can cash it in because your signature authorizes your release

thinmyster
05-09-2005, 03:59 PM
yeah well she said it was cashed and it was definately not by me. it was issued on the 30 and i have my statements going all the way back to then ? I dont know how you would bypass this but maybe one of those check/ credit union places that cash them for yah ?

garyb
05-09-2005, 04:04 PM
banks dont just accept any signature on the back of the cheque. they need to be able to confirm that it is indeed that persons signature

lude_grl
05-09-2005, 05:09 PM
no, not anyone can
usually it needs to match because you cant verrify someone signed it over to you
and i doubt whoever took your cheque knew your homebranch with your sig. card :)

p.s. could have been a lazy teller not doing her job