PDA

View Full Version : need help with workout....

infamous
05-09-2005, 06:50 PM
hey i know there are a lot of people on here who are in good shape, and i would really appreciate some advice....

i'm 6'3, 200ish lbs, and i want to get big....not fat, but i want my chest and arms to be bigger.

right now, my diet sucks. i know that i need to change it. i eat lots of junk food, and fast food is one of my staple foods :drool: lol.....so i really need some help with my diet....on top of that, i smoke, but rarely drink....

as for supplements and that sort of stuff, i'm open to any suggestions (as long as it's not steroids).....

now for my physical workout part (definately the hardest part)....what i am hoping for is a decent sized chest, bigger arms, and mabye a six pack (but most likely almost impossible for me)

where i live, we have a workout room, and here's what it all has
-dumbells: 1- 40 lbs
-treadmills
-stair thingy (it sucks)
-bicycle thing
-one of those all in one machines, with about 10 different exercizes that you can do. there's the chest press, butterfly press (i think that's what it's called), the pulldown bar thing, the one handed pulldown bar thing (can you tell that i've used a gym lots? :rofl:

i really want to gain a lot of muscle, as quick as possible. i want to see if i can totally turn my lazy ass into something better.

any help is greatly appreciated. i am hoping to get to about 220-230 by the end of july......

so am i just dreaming? or if i really apply myself to this is it possible?

and i'll post a before pic later tonite

davidI
05-09-2005, 09:29 PM
You won't gain 30 pounds of muscle that quickly but I can see you having newbie gains and getting up to 210-215 and maintaining ~ current bf. Or if you eat big and bulk up a bit I can see getting your 20-30 pounds but a lot of that will be water and fat (if you get up to 215 that will be a lot of water too).

Instead of buying supplements I'd suggest buying a gym membership. You will be pretty limited as to what you can do with 40 pound DBs. Also, instead of wasting your money on fast food pick up tuna, chicken, oats, eggs, milk etc. lots of calories and protein!

Your question is pretty basic / general and I don't have the time or motivation to type a million page post right now on something that you can easily read up on. Check out bodybuilding.com and you'll find tons of articles for beginners that suggest excercises, diets, etc. Then, when you have a better understanding of things I'd be happy to answer any questions you've got!

Wildcat
05-09-2005, 11:05 PM
just eat eat eat. IMO, at your level it shouldnt matter what your eating as long as your eating LOTS. the only really important thing is keeping your protein levels up, so buy a powder drink mix, have at least 1g of protein for every pound you weigh at a minimum everyday. and drink lots of water and quit smoking. :D

just keep it simple really, if you want to be 240lbs, start eating like it.

Tyler883
05-10-2005, 08:23 AM
get a good amount of protien in your meals, then make sure you calorie intake is high enough that your body isn't burning the protien for energy.

then find yourself a decent weight training program, it doesn't have to be perfect.

TrevorK
05-10-2005, 10:11 AM
The only way to get big, is to lift big.

And you can't lift big with your current equipment.

You can get some size, and some great definition with that equipment, but you won't get the size you're probably looking for.

JAYMEZ
05-10-2005, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by davidI

Instead of buying supplements I'd suggest buying a gym membership. You will be pretty limited as to what you can do with 40 pound DBs. Also, instead of wasting your money on fast food pick up tuna, chicken, oats, eggs, milk etc. lots of calories and protein!

Thats the best advice!

jumperman8
05-10-2005, 11:34 AM
Jsut work out with decent weight and decent exercises, over time you will turn fat to muscle and gain alot of strength. If you want to have a bigger chest focus onthat and arms, but makes sure you still to your back. Always work pro and antagonist muscles.

The way you are eating is terrible, but jsut get in the gym. Im fit and i eat fast food sometimes, not daily or even once a week. But what im trying ot say if you can gain strangth if you put the time in.

davidI
05-10-2005, 05:16 PM
^
You can't turn 'fat to muscle' - you either gain muscle or lose fat. I suggest a high calorie high protein diet (bulking) where you will gain muscle and maintain or increase body fat.
Don't focus on chest and arms or you will be one of those 'beach lifters' that I hate and you won't get big. Do a split routine that includes chest/back/shoulders/arms/legs/abs but only hit each muscle group once a week.

Ex.
Monday - Chest/Tris
Tuesday - Back/Bis
Wednesday - Off
Thursday - Shoulders/Abs
Friday - Legs
Sat/Sun - Off

You can tailor this to however many days a week you want to workout but hopefully you understand the idea of isolating muscle groups for each work out.

JordanEG6
05-10-2005, 11:45 PM
^ good idea.

cross training is also a good idea. like the above, for the days that your off, you can do some light cardio for about 20-30 minutes (treadmill, cycle etc.) or even walk for maybe an hour or 2....if it doesnt snow in calgary first. hahaha

quad_turbo
05-11-2005, 12:09 AM
the first thing you need to do is change your mind set....you CAN gain 30lbs by summer by taking creatin for instance and working out twice a day (i gained 10 in one week on creatine) but now i can honestly say take your time with it...if you load on all that weight really fast you willl have sausage arms that have no definition and youll look like a dink but you can lift lots

be patient with it, i know everyone wants to have bulging pythons for the beach but you can have that for next summer along with everything else you want as long as you change your lifestyle(what seems to be a lot) and dont take any days off

read as much as you can on the subject and educate yourself before you go out there and start swingin around heavy weights because you might hurt yourself or end up looking like a doofus

TrevorK
05-11-2005, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by quad_turbo
the first thing you need to do is change your mind set....you CAN gain 30lbs by summer by taking creatin for instance and working out twice a day (i gained 10 in one week on creatine)

It's called water weight.

This bloating will take away from the effect of looking 20-30lbs heavier, because you will lose definition (if you are gaining at that kind of rate).

infamous
05-16-2005, 11:02 PM
hey here's some pics of my chest and stuff....my before pics

i'm going to start my workout tomorrow....i went out tonite and bought a whole bunch of healthy food....whole wheat bread, tuna, pasta, rice, etc.

i'm really proud of myself for doing this, because it's the first step! so here are my 2 before pics...

infamous
05-16-2005, 11:03 PM
pic 2

infamous
05-21-2005, 02:25 PM
UPDATE:

so far, things are going well. somewhat. lol....i changed my diet so durastically that i had to change it back. my body didn't like all the healthy foods all at once (i've never had to go that many times in one day) so i switched it up to include mostly health foods, and the odd junk food. i've worked out 3 times since i started and went jogging twice.

i am finding that the hardest part is getting myself pumped up to go to the gym. do you guys have any suggestions for how i can get motivated more? after i get to the gym and workout for a while, i get going, but never before then.....

wow i'm down to 184 lbs, i've lost 10 lbs in not quite a week. is this normal? i'm guessing it is, because my body seems more leaner and i feel more light on my feet.

mike

TrevorK
05-24-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by infamous
wow i'm down to 184 lbs, i've lost 10 lbs in not quite a week. is this normal? i'm guessing it is, because my body seems more leaner and i feel more light on my feet.

Three reasons working together to provide you with a 10lbs "weight loss":
1) Water weight
2) Weighing yourself at different times throughout the day can give different results. As well as your eating habits.
3) You lost SOME weight (Not 10lbs).

davidI
05-24-2005, 05:23 PM
UPDATE:
i am finding that the hardest part is getting myself pumped up to go to the gym. do you guys have any suggestions for how i can get motivated more? after i get to the gym and workout for a while, i get going, but never before then.....

Just go every day at the same time with some planned break days. I find I have this same motivation problem too if I take a couple unscheduled breaks. I've also got some Arnie pics on my walls that make me feel like a lazy bitch if I'm sitting around.

Trevor is right about how you could have lost 10 pounds. A healthier rate of loss is a couple pounds of week. Just remember that weight is not always a great measure as people carry weight differently and muscle weighs more than fat. This said, measuring yourself in the morning after a piss will allow you to record some progress but I'd base it more on how you feel and how you look in the mirror!

Best of luck.

infamous
05-24-2005, 08:41 PM
sweet....thanks for the tips trevor and david....i'm off to the gym now (after working an unusual 12 hour day at work)...

[arnold'svoice]LET'S GET PUMPED UP!!!!![/arnold'svoice]

:rofl:

any more tips to get me motivated will help!

mike

1-Cent
05-25-2005, 10:56 AM
Might want to slow down on the weight loss bro, seems like a good things I know but in reality you can't lose fat that quickly without putting your body in an extremely catabolic state (muscle wasting/loss). You're trying to keep as much muscle as possible while dieting, try to limit your weight loss to 2lbs per week if you want optimal fat loss while keeping the most lean mass.
The guys you see in the gym cutting off 20lbs of bodyfat in 2 weeks with little muscle loss are not doing it naturally so don't sweat it or draw comparisons, use them for motivation if anything but don't think of what they're using to accomplish this lol.

For over the counter supplements you could try E/C or Y/N/C (E/C being much easier to find or put together yourself, start there). The beginner dosage of E/C should be 25mg Ephedrine and 200mg of caffiene. Keep in mind when buying Ephedrine, it can be spelt with f's instead of ph, but do not use Ephedra its unrefined and contains many impurities. I do not recommend adding aspirine to the stack for a variety of reasons, maybe I'll post a thread about it if anyone is actually that interested... if not just trust me on it lol.

It seems like you're serious about your goals and thats something to be proud of. You've already gotten further than most people in North America have, and that being you actually started a diet and got yourself into the gym. Keep your motivation high and you'll see results man, after 1-2 months it starts to become routine to step in the gym every day, you just have to get to that point where working out and diet are life rather than a chore, then its easy! Good luck to you bro. :thumbsup:

TrevorK
05-25-2005, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by 1-Cent
For over the counter supplements you could try E/C or Y/N/C (E/C being much easier to find or put together yourself, start there).

Yohimbine in the form needed for the application you're referring to isn't available over the counter (As far as I know)

~Leah~
05-25-2005, 12:55 PM
If you guys want a product that'll work just as well as an ECA stack but without the harmful effects of ephedra, try Tight by SAN, it's sold at GNC stores, and I know quite a few guys that have seen some awesome results from that product.

1-Cent
05-25-2005, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by TrevorK

Yohimbine in the form needed for the application you're referring to isn't available over the counter (As far as I know)

Somewhat true, Yohimbine is the extract of yohimbe bark, it is available through perscription in a time-release version but you can also find it at many herbal stores in capsules or liquids (caps being more effective and pure). Often there are other ingrediants when buying herbal so watch out for that. Or else you can simply order pure Yohimbine online, it is not a controlled substance in Canada and you won't have any issues with customs...

The version I threw out there was YNC (theres many variations), which is Yohimbine/Norephedrine/Caffiene. Norephedrine (must be 1R,2S) can also be a pain in the ass to aquire but is not a controlled substance either, just not a popular supplement since there hasn't been much study on it, but it does work VASTLY better when combined with Yohimbine than regular Ephedrine. So ECY is another possible combo as well. 1R,2S Norephedrine is a close second only to amphetamine in raising metabolic rate, keep that in mind, it is very powerful. I think there is only one main producer of it and the DEA regulates the hell out of it so its rare for that reason.

The best ECY stack I've seen is;

Ephedrine 25 mg
Caffeine 200 mg
Yohimbine 5 mg
Guggelsterones 40 mg
Acetyl-L-carnitine 75 mg

Taken up to 3x per day, if that won't take the fat right off your teeth you should take up knitting ;)

TrevorK
05-26-2005, 10:08 AM

you can also find it at many herbal stores in capsules or liquids (caps being more effective and pure).

It looks like you're right - it appears it's just not allowed to be sold as a "sports nutrition product" (I think Ephedrine is the same way, which is why it's sold as a "nasal decongestant").

1R,2S Norephedrine is a close second only to amphetamine in raising metabolic rate, keep that in mind, it is very powerful.[/B]

Interesting - do you have any links (Or is it kind of underground?) on where to locate this?

1-Cent
05-26-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by TrevorK

It looks like you're right - it appears it's just not allowed to be sold as a "sports nutrition product" (I think Ephedrine is the same way, which is why it's sold as a "nasal decongestant").

Yeah the nasel decongestant thing always cracks me up, I think it also can't be sold in tabs over 8mg each, they used to be 25mg or 50mg back in the day.

Interesting - do you have any links (Or is it kind of underground?) on where to locate this?

Its sort of underground I guess, by that I mean if you came across it in a herbal shop I'd be very surprised and tell you to buy them out of stock immediately and besides that I don't think many consumers would make the distinction between Ephedrine and Norephedrine with a couple letters and numbers in front of it lol. its not schedualed or illegal in anyway but like I said I think only one producer over in Asia makes it and sends it thru the states where the FDA regulates it heavily (not sure in what way). When I've bought it its come direct from overseas, I'd have to take a look to see where to get it now, if I come across it I'll drop you a PM if you're interested.

TrevorK
05-27-2005, 10:22 AM
if I come across it I'll drop you a PM if you're interested.

Thanks - that'd be great!

5hift
05-27-2005, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by ~Leah~
If you guys want a product that'll work just as well as an ECA stack but without the harmful effects of ephedra, try Tight by SAN, it's sold at GNC stores, and I know quite a few guys that have seen some awesome results from that product.

Has anyone hear ever used this product?

infamous
05-27-2005, 06:06 PM
okay, now that this topic has went totally off topic, can we get back on topic? :rolleyes:

what motivates you to go and workout?

ecstasy_civic
05-27-2005, 07:57 PM
summer........

1-Cent
05-27-2005, 08:06 PM
okay, now that this topic has went totally off topic, can we get back on topic? :rolleyes:

what motivates you to go and workout?

Adding another X to my shirt size haha

But really I just love the sport, its not a chore for me its just my lifestyle. For most people I've trained I'd say its a close tie between women and longevity. However the people that train to impress the ladies usualy lose interest quickly and quit because they want the quick fix - they'll come in 1 or 2 months before spring break and be like "make me look like arnold for spring break so I can get laid" lol it doesn't work that way.

Wildcat
05-27-2005, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Khali

Has anyone hear ever used this product?

yah, its the best legal fat burner on the market by far. its a one a day capulate, i had 2 and my hands were shaking. its pretty potent.

5hift
05-28-2005, 07:28 AM
hmm so much for no side effects huh.

Wildcat
05-28-2005, 11:44 AM
in general side effects would be; lack of sleep, cold sweats, become more irritable, stressed, panicked.

cant say i noticed anything like that, you should take one first thing in the morning when your metabolism is at its lowest.

5hift
05-28-2005, 12:24 PM
Wildcat, in your opinion does it help with fat loss in the way that its worth taking a chance for any side effects I might get. What side effects if any have you had with this?

1-Cent
05-28-2005, 12:26 PM
I don't think I've seen someone get the shakes from Yohimbine, the stimulant in "Tight", its a pretty small amount.

Taking it 15-30 mins before cardio would be optimal, taking it as soon as you wake up would greatly increase catabolism especialy since Guggelsterones stimulates T3. Of course muscle tissue weighs much more than adipose tissue so by eating it away you'll seemingly lose weight quicker.

Wildcat
05-28-2005, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Khali
Wildcat, in your opinion does it help with fat loss in the way that its worth taking a chance for any side effects I might get. What side effects if any have you had with this?

lol, its safe guy trust me. unless your family has a history of heart problems, but im guessing your young and healthy.