PDA

View Full Version : Help installing speakers

thw_goalie
05-09-2005, 09:11 PM
I bought two new speakers for my truck. All the wiring is done, and they both work, but the old holes don't line up with the new holes on the speaker mounts. I was hoping someone could give me a way to get around this.

I was thinking I could buy a piece of sheet metal and cut a piece that lines up with the old holes, and then drill the new holes in it, and bolt the speakers to that. I could also use some of that dynamat from FutureShop to stop the vibrations.

I was wondering if anyone has any easier suggestions. Thanks.

pyro
05-09-2005, 09:33 PM
couldent u just turn the speaker a bit and make new holes or make some O rings out of mdf :dunno:

thw_goalie
05-09-2005, 10:28 PM
Could I use a washer?

Audio_Rookie
05-09-2005, 11:05 PM
so it sounds like the new speakers are smaller than the old.

Are they the same shape? what speaker size whole you got and what speaker do you got to work with?

you can get adapter kits if its smaller and same shape, kinda like what you were talking about, it bolts to existing hole and you bolt new speaker into adapter that bolts into the hole.

It really depends on shape..if u got 1 thats circular and have an oval hole right now, take out the grinder, do some work...drill new holes, and screw in...

Weapon_R
05-09-2005, 11:12 PM
Cant you just drill new holes in your mount?

As long as you get them to sit, you should be fine.

thw_goalie
05-10-2005, 06:08 PM
They're both 4x6, the holes just don't line up. It's not really a tough thing to solve, I was just trying to find the best way to do it, so next time I do it the right way.

I think i'll just buy some 1/4" MDF and do it with that. Either make one big piece that the speaker fits through, screw the speakers to that, and then screw that into the existing holes. Or, I could make 4 separate pieces for each hole. Which do you think would be best?

Also, is it worth getting some of that dynamat stuff? And do I just put it between the speaker and wherever I'm screwing it to?