PDA

View Full Version : Athabasca University grads?

NRGetic
05-09-2005, 10:51 PM
Hello everyone!
If was just wondering if there's any Athabasca grads around here, or maybe someone thats well familiar with the beings of such an individual. I'm an Ontario CAAT grad with a 3 year coop diploma in software engineering. I am employed and working in the field at the moment but would like to earn a bachelors degree as I feer in the not too distant future anything but a helpdesk will require such a designation. Athabasca U offers a post-diploma 2 year program which will grant me a B.Sc in CIS. Around here Athabasca isnt very well known and I've been wondering what kind of recognition have the Athabsca grads been getting following graduation. Macleans doesnt seem to "Rate it" and I wouldnt want to put in a lot of time and effort into something that wont be taken seriously by employers (mine doesnt really care as long as there's experience to back one up). Any kind of feedback from AU grads would be greatly appreciated.

MS

eina15
05-09-2005, 11:26 PM
IMO Athabasca is just as highly regarded as any other Uni in the area. The employers I have spoken to on the subject agree (although I know I am going to get some argument from here!)

nismodrifter
05-10-2005, 12:07 AM
my mom did her bachelors in nursing through Athabasca by corespondance and she only has good things to say about it. Seems like a good school

elmo909
05-13-2005, 07:14 AM
they don't offer engineering programs iirc

NRGetic
05-15-2005, 07:32 PM
I am aware that AU does not offer degrees in the faculty of engineering.... What I'm interested in is B.Sc (Computing and Information Systems) .

googe
05-16-2005, 12:55 AM
be warned that most replies you are going to get are going to be younger people talking out of their ass. best to ask someone in the industry that makes hiring decisions. :)

eina15
05-16-2005, 08:13 AM
I am a recruiter for an employment agency ;) As such, I make hiring decisions and work closely with heads of companies who also make hiring decisions.

The consensus is the degree matters, and as long as it is from an acredited school it doesn't matter which one.