PDA

View Full Version : telus bandwidth usage, wtf???

finboy
05-09-2005, 11:12 PM
so a couple months ago i got an e-mail from telus saying i used more then 100 gig's of bandwidth space, so i blocked out all my files from file sharing probrams thinking that maybe that was causing the issues.

since then, i've downloaded maybe 50 songs, a couple movies, and other then that, just some average msn and beyond cruising, no files being hosted off my computer.

now i have recieved a second e-mail saying that i am stoll using too much badwidth, wtf????

i don't have wirless, so no one is mooching off me, and i haven't changed any surfing habbits in the past couple months so why the e-mails now?

GoChris
05-09-2005, 11:18 PM
you can check your usage online.
login at www.telus.net it will show you what you are using

maybe they lowered the limit from 100gb for the emails down to 50 or something, who knows. if i get another one it should be in about 4-5 days when my month cycle is up.

Kamen
05-09-2005, 11:18 PM
Check to see if you have any adware or whatnot. I know that adware can cause bandwidth problems as I've experienced it in the past. I got charged a $10 fee for every additional GB over the limit they set for me!
So I switched to shaw and said fuck off to my old ISP...:D

Weapon_R
05-09-2005, 11:19 PM
Tell them to fuck off or you're moving to Shaw.

YCB
05-09-2005, 11:27 PM
wtf.. why does mine say : TELUS Plans and Services
high speed Internet 10 GB
TOTAL MONTHLY LIMIT 10 GB

i already downloaded 8 gigs.. and the month only started?? when did they start this?

finboy
05-10-2005, 12:05 AM
their site won't even let me load the internet section.

telus = TEH SUCK

BlackArcher101
05-10-2005, 12:49 AM
Yep... the limit is 10GB... no more free downloading. :cry:

I recommend going here: http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/telus

There's a stickied message near the top explaining the whole thing. That and it's a great forum to read about the problems.

finboy
05-10-2005, 01:01 AM
10 gb? damn, that doesn't seem like much at all

Team_Mclaren
05-10-2005, 01:05 AM
switch, and when you do, send them a fucking letter tell them how much they suck!

eikna
05-10-2005, 01:11 AM
hehe
i am on telus but im switching soon
their technical support sucks,,,,
and my internet sometimes go down for hours,,,,

finboy
05-10-2005, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by eikna
hehe
i am on telus but im switching soon
their technical support sucks,,,,
and my internet sometimes go down for hours,,,,

i've had that problem since we upgraded to highspeed years ago, i never have been really impressed with telus' service or customer support as the issues never get fixed, just patched up until the same problem occurs a month later.

Chandler_Racing
05-10-2005, 01:32 AM
10gb limit :confused:

I'm sure a few people do that in a day. Think it is time to tell them to fuck off and trade ISPs

USHER
05-10-2005, 01:57 AM
word i hate telus fuking scammers

SUPRAPHAT
05-10-2005, 02:22 AM
I was getting this fuckin email too!

I really don't want to have to switch but I guess that's what it'll take.

Jason

cityhunter2501
05-10-2005, 03:39 AM
wow just checked our telus mail after months and I got
2 Notice Of Copyright Complaint mails dated back in january.

my april bandwidth usage was 40GB and right now is at 24GB. no complaint mail and still paying CAD$26.70 :)

xDiMSuMx
05-10-2005, 01:10 PM
10 gb? haha
anyone switching to shaw, pm me for modem deals

Despair*
05-10-2005, 01:33 PM
wow, Telus is really starting to crackdown with their bandwidth usage. Hopefully shaw still stays as lenient as they are now :thumbsup:

Shoebox//Racer
05-10-2005, 01:54 PM
10 gigs!?! holy hell.... i do that in under 1 and a half hours if i find some stuff i want on Newsgroups.

ronaldo
05-10-2005, 01:56 PM
i easily do 10gb/day....telus is really starting to piss me off now
but im not a huge fan of shaw either

how is telus enforcing this limit??:dunno:

Khyron
05-10-2005, 02:27 PM
One of the newer viruses is spamming 500 megs of email a day - had a couple of contaminated machines found when the isp called to ask about the spike. If you don't have a scanner, you probably have it.

Type netstat -a in a dos window and see if you have a bunch of connections to mail.telus etc.

Khyron

Skyline_Addict
05-11-2005, 10:00 PM
10gb a day is peanuts!

just downloading one ps2 game and you've gotta call it a day! ;)

cityhunter2501
05-12-2005, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Khyron
One of the newer viruses is spamming 500 megs of email a day - had a couple of contaminated machines found when the isp called to ask about the spike. If you don't have a scanner, you probably have it.

Type netstat -a in a dos window and see if you have a bunch of connections to mail.telus etc.

Khyron
im not infected :)

ronin893
05-12-2005, 10:17 AM
yea i never check the e-mail but they actually sent me a letter too
so then i checked the e-mail and they only sent me it on the months that were over 100 gbs
the e-mail says i gotta upgrade my internet or else if i keep going over the limit, they'll suspend service

think they're actually gonna do something about it? i mean, like probably 1 out of 3 people probably go wayy over 10 gb/month...

403Gemini
05-12-2005, 10:57 AM
heh i did easily 10 gigs yesterday, silly telus, we'll see what happens when they call ;)

GoChris
05-12-2005, 11:07 AM
telus is retarded, do they not know that shaw limit is 5x their limit? of course people will switch if they can only do 10gb.

and upgrade? upgrade to what!?! their 15gb limit plan? oh boy, that will help!

I also got a letter and an email last month, for doing over 100gb. this month which ends in 2 days for me, I have not done 100gb and kept it under, probably about 85gb so far i think.

so we will see if I get another email or not. if I do, then I will immediately phone and cancel, or at least threaten to depending on what they say.

kaput
05-12-2005, 06:20 PM

Chiggles
05-13-2005, 01:16 AM
No shit, 10G/day is crazy. You guys must leave your PCs running all day, especially unsupervised. Hope you guys got some good firewall in that case. The closest I've ever come to that limit is 8.5GB for a month, and that's cuz I was on vacation from work and played Halo 2 on-line almost non-stop during that break. I cringe when I have to leave the computer on for more than 24 hours solely based on the wear and tear that I'm giving it long term - the stress on the hard drive, power supply, cooling systems, etc. Do you think it'd be healthy to leave you car spinning it's tires on some oversized treadmill for miles and miles endlessly? Why would you bag your PC then if it's the only one you got? :dunno: Just me, I guess. :tongue: Whatevz.

BlackArcher101
05-13-2005, 02:09 AM
My PC runs 24/7, it's 2.5 years old, runs like new, does not have a hardware or software firewall.... all I run is norton antivirus. And yet, I have no problems whatsoever.

I probably downloaded about 5 GB's today alone. All you have to do is download one dvd.

Gonna be callin up shaw next week. Telus is extremely slow for the past few weeks for me, drops it's connection at random, and now has the crap ass limit.

GoChris
05-13-2005, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Chiggles
No shit, 10G/day is crazy. You guys must leave your PCs running all day, especially unsupervised. Hope you guys got some good firewall in that case. The closest I've ever come to that limit is 8.5GB for a month, and that's cuz I was on vacation from work and played Halo 2 on-line almost non-stop during that break. I cringe when I have to leave the computer on for more than 24 hours solely based on the wear and tear that I'm giving it long term - the stress on the hard drive, power supply, cooling systems, etc. Do you think it'd be healthy to leave you car spinning it's tires on some oversized treadmill for miles and miles endlessly? Why would you bag your PC then if it's the only one you got? :dunno: Just me, I guess. :tongue: Whatevz.

It is not harder on your pc to run it 24/7. Alot of people will actually say its harder on your pc components, ie hard drive, to constantly turn it off and on forcing your hard drive to spin up to 7200pm. :drama: :whocares:

Christianl
05-15-2005, 02:28 AM
Im on Shaw and it's much better then Telus because I used to use Telus before I moved, and Shaw dosnt have that thing also what are "Newsgroups"? If someone would please be kind enought to fill me in that would be great :D

djayz
05-15-2005, 02:40 AM
well since i just found out about this 10gb a month shit about a week ago im gonna max these mofos out everyday and see what they do
ive been suspended off telus before a few years ago for pretty much uploading/downloading too much shit

so its time to do a test see what they do if i go over every month if they suspend me go ahead im switching to shaw n e ways haha

ill let you guys know how it goes

YCB
05-15-2005, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by djayz
well since i just found out about this 10gb a month shit about a week ago im gonna max these mofos out everyday and see what they do
ive been suspended off telus before a few years ago for pretty much uploading/downloading too much shit

so its time to do a test see what they do if i go over every month if they suspend me go ahead im switching to shaw n e ways haha

ill let you guys know how it goes

:werd: thats what im doing.. maxing out.. i think im at like 25 gigs now..

GoChris
05-15-2005, 09:57 AM
well i just finished my month cycle. i did 93gb and that was taking it very very very easy. was hard but thanks to some wireless i managed to stay under 100gb. its not bad if they let you do up to 100gb, thats still 2x as much as shaw lets you do really. im still switching though, ESPECIALLY if i get another email for my 93bb

djayz
05-15-2005, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by YCB

:werd: thats what im doing.. maxing out.. i think im at like 25 gigs now..

hah im close to 80 already this month...you got a long way to go

dragonone
05-17-2005, 10:17 AM
well i just received my letter several days ago, i mean an official letter (from a mass list i presume)
let's see when they'll suspend service
time to think 3web or primus

AcuraTl
05-18-2005, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by dragonone
well i just received my letter several days ago, i mean an official letter (from a mass list i presume)
let's see when they'll suspend service
time to think 3web or primus

:werd: check out my 3web forum i tested it out pimped over 500gb no worries :D haha btw msg me and i can get you setup with a free month :thumbsup: