PDA

View Full Version : Car starting on own, has command start installed in it

CCW
05-10-2005, 12:20 PM
HI,

I have a command start installed in my 97 Grand Am, trouble is the car is now starting randomly on its own. This unit was installed 2.5 years ago and the remote is a 2 button CS555. Other than that I do not know anything about the starter. Anyone have any ideas on how to get the car to stop starting, disconnected the car battery for now but gas got really expensive once the car stayed started for too long.

Thank you

Strugari
05-10-2005, 12:30 PM
There is a cold temp sensor under the hood. It should have either 2 yellow, or 2 red wires going to it. It should be connected to the rad hose or heater hose. You can cut one wire. These sensors were usually the problem.
Let me know if you need any other help:thumbsup:

BubbaSTi
05-10-2005, 12:32 PM
I have heard a lot of problems with car starters. IMO get rid of it. If you live in Canada you should be able to run out to your car and start it for 10 minutes in the winter while you eat a quick breakfast or watch the news. I understand it might be convinient but is it worth the car starting and you losing the gas and you knowing that it might just start completely random?

I remember there was a car in a house garage that started and the family didn't know about it. The carbon monoxide leaked into the basement somehow and killed the mother and young son of the family.

If that isn't a good reason to NOT have one then I don't know what is.

Phat_Tercel_YO!
05-10-2005, 12:46 PM
What are you an activist against car starters?

That is one of the more retarded things I've read lately.
You might as well get rid of your car too, I've heard stories of the steering column failing and cars ending up in the ditches killing every passenger in the vehicle.

If you didn't hook up the temperature sensor just take it back to the store that you bought it from, they can troubleshoot it or replace it if you have a warranty.

BubbaSTi
05-10-2005, 12:46 PM
Not really, I was just saying that I don't think they are worth the trouble.

tech by trade
05-10-2005, 05:36 PM
go into the settings and turn off the tempature sensor. if you have in enabled with no sensor on the car it will randomly turn on every 15 min or so. there is a way to do it with the remote but i just went into the programming and turned it off. it will work fine after that.

offroaderdodge
05-13-2005, 10:05 PM
strugari has the right method,it is probably tie wrapped to the rad hose and is now banana-shaped.installing the sensor in this manner is incorrect as it crushes the thermistor.as far as i am concerned,bubbasti,go out start your car and leave the keys in it.lets see how much you get from your insurance company when it gets stolen.there is a reason someone designed a way to keep your car running with no keys.the remote part is a bonus.

frozenrice
05-13-2005, 10:28 PM
The exact same thing was happening with my Command Start. I got a replacement one from ARA Automotive for under $20. To replace it simply cut the wires to the old one and connect the new one. Interestingly, the guy at ARA had a look under my hood and noticed that the original installer used black electrical tape to secure the sensor to the coolant pipe. He said that he'd never thought of that before and thought it was a great idea. Theory behind this is that the electrical tape is flexible, so as the hose expands and contracts with temperature changes the tape has enough give to flex with the hose yet still keep the sensor secured.