PDA

View Full Version : Your Feelings on Steve Nash being named MVP?

Komplekshun
05-10-2005, 03:10 PM
Great for Canadian basketball. Just waiting for the influx of Corny Canadian Steve Nash commericials.

P.S.

Kobe Bryant = 2006 MVP

max_boost
05-10-2005, 03:18 PM
He deserves the award, no player has had a bigger impact. Ranks right up there as one of the highest achievements for a Canadian athlete!:clap:

thinmyster
yeah he totally deserved it IMO.. Im glad he still realizes hes canadian!!!

BigDannyCool
it's good for him and canada...It's funny when that Miami reporter claimed he won because he was white and shaq was black. If that was the case it wouldn't have been so close

ronaldo
05-10-2005, 03:26 PM
GOOD FOR HIM:thumbsup:

heavyD
05-10-2005, 03:33 PM
No feelings at all. I dislike the NBA as it's the only major sport which is more about the players than the game. Why pay $100 to se a bunch of gangsters travel with the ball, double dribble, foul each other when you can see the real thing at the UofC for free.

Neil4Speed
05-10-2005, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
No feelings at all. I dislike the NBA as it's the only major sport which is more about the players than the game. Why pay $100 to se a bunch of gangsters travel with the ball, double dribble, foul each other when you can see the real thing at the UofC for free.

In a way, couldn't you say the same about Football, Hockey?

You have a point on the state of pro sports though.

tapout
05-10-2005, 04:30 PM
good for him osome player:thumbsup:

Komplekshun
05-10-2005, 04:30 PM

Gangsters?????

Explain.

Weapon_R
05-10-2005, 04:32 PM
I think its great news. For Canada and for Basketball. Who knew a white guy could have such impact :poosie:

Kidding aside, he's one of the greatest players of the game right now and full of heart.

wildrice
05-10-2005, 04:33 PM
Yea, Steve Nash is really deserving. He worked real hard in the offseason to get where he's at right now.

Anybody watch the press conference? Steve was really unselfish. He called up his whole team to enjoy the award with him. He said that he couldn't be up here if it wasn't for his teammates.

heavyD
05-10-2005, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Komplekshun

Gangsters?????

Explain.

If I have to explain, you obviously don't follow the NBA.:rolleyes:

Komplekshun
05-10-2005, 05:32 PM

If I have to explain, you obviously don't follow the NBA.:rolleyes:

I'm assuming your caucasian.

B17a
05-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Great for Canadian basketball. Just waiting for the influx of Corny Canadian Steve Nash commericials.

P.S.

Kobe Bryant = 2006 MVP

You kidding about Kobe? His career officially went down the toilet when he ran Shaq and Phil Jackson out of town. Lebron is my pick for '06.

Komplekshun
05-10-2005, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by B17a

You kidding about Kobe? His career officially went down the toilet when he ran Shaq and Phil Jackson out of town. Lebron is my pick for '06.

Not kidding. Check latest thread.

ehos
05-10-2005, 05:39 PM
Canadians 'invented' basketball, so it's only fair :)

GucciBoy
05-10-2005, 08:27 PM
im no nash fan, but he is pretty decent (not amazing like shaq)

Im just sick of hearing about it 24/7 for the last 4 days. No way he should beat out Shaq daddy, Shaq is god! Shaq is mad and rightfully so. Shaq shouldnt be pissed if a great player like KG or Duncan wins it, but when the sportswriters pick Steve f'n Nash then he should be rightfully pissed. He is 10x the player Nash is and its obvious these sportswriters have some sort of agenda against him

highonpsi
05-10-2005, 08:36 PM
ummm 15.5ppg and 11.5 assists is not good enough for an MVP. Amare, Q rich, matrix ETC improved there game and were all together with Nash just added, it wasn't such a big impact as everyone made it seem. You need to average atleast 25+ PPG IMO, and have great numbers in other stats too.

Plus....

Dallas had a BETTER record with Nash gone this year.

Look at Stockton. In a few years in a row he averaged 17PPG and 14.5 assists with better stls per game then Nash too and he never got much consideration for the MVP ever.

overrated IMO

GucciBoy
05-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by highonpsi
ummm 15.5ppg and 11.5 assists is not good enough for an MVP. Amare, Q rich, matrix ETC improved there game and were all together with Nash just added, it wasn't such a big impact as everyone made it seem. You need to average atleast 25+ PPG IMO, and have great numbers in other stats too.

Plus....

Look at Stockton. In a few years in a row he averaged 17PPG and 14.5 assists with better stls per game then Nash too and he never got much consideration for the MVP ever.

overrated IMO

Couldnt have said it better. Nash is nothing special.

Skyline_Addict
05-10-2005, 08:57 PM
i think nash deserved it! great player, great guy.

JordanEG6
05-10-2005, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
i think nash deserved it! great player, great guy.

:werd: no doubt, nash truly deserves it. its about time a canuck earns it. :thumbsup:

Xtrema
05-10-2005, 11:24 PM
Part of it is PR, Ron Artest and Kobe ruins NBA's name. Voting a clean white guys who play smart is a good PR move. No he's not dominating like Shaq or few others but it's an image the league needed since departure of Jordan.

JordanEG6
05-10-2005, 11:37 PM
^^ :werd: up

BigDannyCool
05-11-2005, 01:07 AM

You just proved why Nash is a great player. You compare his teams numbers from this year and last year, they are drastically improved. why? because nash wasn't there last year.

BigDannyCool
05-11-2005, 01:12 AM
i don't even know why shaq was such a close second, he didn't do anything spectacular this year. Except having he best field goal percentage, and that's cause he dunks every second shot, and has 1 foot hook shots.

saiyajin
05-11-2005, 01:14 AM
^ ya no kidding and Yao can prob get that precentage too and he shoots around 70% at the free throw line too to boot!!

k_dawg
05-11-2005, 02:03 AM
He deserved the award. He is a great leader, and it will help Canadian basketball alot, giving kids who want to play basketball and have a dream that it can be true. I think Canadian basketball will get stronger because of this.

jumperman8
05-11-2005, 10:04 AM
Its abotu tiem Nash got some credit, making a terrible team good.

Good for basketball in General, not jsut in Canada.

NASH MVP

u4ia
05-11-2005, 02:42 PM

Plus....

overrated IMO

have you looked into phoenix's stats this year?? they are improved in just about every major category. and he brings a lot of things to the suns that can't be measured, like leadership and veteran experience. remember the suns are a young team, most of their roster is under 25. i think the bias towards scoring throws off what the MVP award is given for. if it was scoring with a few other great stats, guys like AI, t-mac and kobe would win it every year and they are definitely not MVP calibre every year.

dallas had a better record with him being gone, but that's because they weren't nearly as reliant on him as phoenix is and his game meshes a lot better with the suns. would phoenix be a better team if nash was gone? hell no. remember what happened when nash didn't play this season? uhh yeah, i'd say he's pretty valuable to the team. whereas when shaq went down.. miami kept on winning.

john stockton had karl malone beside him for almost his entire career and never had the chance to 'turn' a franchise around by himself. if stockton was sent to a bottom feeding team, and then turned them around 33 games and got them to the best record in the league, then i'm sure he would have garnered some consideration.

u4ia
05-11-2005, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by GucciBoy
im no nash fan, but he is pretty decent (not amazing like shaq)

Im just sick of hearing about it 24/7 for the last 4 days. No way he should beat out Shaq daddy, Shaq is god! Shaq is mad and rightfully so. Shaq shouldnt be pissed if a great player like KG or Duncan wins it, but when the sportswriters pick Steve f'n Nash then he should be rightfully pissed. He is 10x the player Nash is and its obvious these sportswriters have some sort of agenda against him

shaq's impact on miami is nowhere near nash's impact in phoenix, which is probably the main thing the sportswriters are looking at since the MVP is well, for the most _valuable_ player. your definition of MVP seems to be best player, which is sometimes what it's given for as well. but in that case, shaq still wouldn't win MVP.

Chanica
05-11-2005, 03:36 PM
^^agreed:thumbsup:

Weapon_R
05-11-2005, 03:50 PM
The MVP of a league does not have to be the highest scoring player. Some people equate MVP with the highest scorer or most dominant player in the league.

The MVP is the player who demonstrates the greateset impact to the game. This includes sportsmanship, character, personality, skill, dedication and numbers. The MVP of the Year encompasses all of these characteristics.

u4ia
05-11-2005, 03:53 PM
^^^

characteristics which might make it hard for kobe to win an MVP. :thumbsup:

heavyD
05-11-2005, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by u4ia
^^^

characteristics which might make it hard for kobe to win an MVP. :thumbsup:

How can Kobe win MVP when he is a GM?

u4ia
05-11-2005, 04:07 PM
exactly! i'm glad someone else has picked up on this. haha.. so i'm guessing you read the article concerning what chucky atkins said about kobe? :)

DEREK57
05-11-2005, 06:35 PM

How can Kobe win MVP when he is a GM?

:rofl: You obviously do follow the NBA.

As for Nash it is great. Not only is he very deserving, and is it good for Canada, but I also think its good for the NBA. Hes a geniune team player, and seems like a humble, nice-guy (as is TD), but he also encourages and brings a really exciting game. Its interesting to hear him talk about the impact soccer had on his playing style.

lam-boy
05-20-2005, 10:17 PM
gucciboy, take your metrosexual ass comments back haha.

he fucking dominated dallas.

almsot 2 triple doubles in a row.

GO SUNS!

JordanEG6
05-20-2005, 10:25 PM

Kobe Bryant = 2006 MVP

shaq's presence is out the door, so bryant will never see MVP again.

Leekiwwi
05-20-2005, 11:10 PM
Kobe is without question the best 1on1 guard in the league today.
I say guard, because you cant really compare the playing styles of say Shaq and Kobe. (opposite ends of the spectrum)

But for him to win MVP ever in his career, he will hv to be willing to pass on a consistent basis.

I say before Kobe, Dwayne Wade would be my choice of MVP, the only problem is that his play is overshadowed by big Shaq.

max_boost
05-20-2005, 11:35 PM
If you watched the Dallas series, he basically proved to the whole world why he is the MVP. He probably had extra motivation since he was up against his former team, but he still had to back it up which he did.

u4ia
05-21-2005, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by JordanEG6

shaq's presence is out the door, so bryant will never see MVP again.

^^ :werd:

not that he's ever been MVP though..

u4ia
05-21-2005, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by Leekiwwi
Kobe is without question the best 1on1 guard in the league today.
I say guard, because you cant really compare the playing styles of say Shaq and Kobe. (opposite ends of the spectrum)

But for him to win MVP ever in his career, he will hv to be willing to pass on a consistent basis.

I say before Kobe, Dwayne Wade would be my choice of MVP, the only problem is that his play is overshadowed by big Shaq.

well unfortunately for kobe, NBA basketball isn't 1 on 1.

kobe will never actually be 'willing' to pass.. he only passes out of necessity. even at that, i've never seen a player drive into groups of 3+ defenders more consistently and attempt ridiculous shots. sure he's gonna make one here and there and get himself on a highlight reel, but when you miss that shot 10 other times in the same game it doesn't look all that impressive anymore. if he wants to win MVP, he'll have to make the lakers a winning team.. and i don't think that'll be happening any time soon as long as kobe's the GM.

wade might win MVP one day, but it will be tough in the near future considering there is more or less a perennial lock on the top 5 spots for MVP consideration.. (ie - guys like shaq, duncan, iverson, etc..)

accordboi_02
05-21-2005, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
If you watched the Dallas series, he basically proved to the whole world why he is the MVP. He probably had extra motivation since he was up against his former team, but he still had to back it up which he did.
Agreed - Shaq didn't even dress for the last 2 games for Mia and they still won; showing that they don't NEED him, just that he is a bonus.
Nash, on the other hand... if he doesn't play for the Suns the past three games, it's an all-Texas conference final.