PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy alternator????

Ek9Max
05-11-2005, 11:45 AM
I think my alternator went on my 90 sw20t.

I think I need the same one as teh 1991 turbo with power steering.

Does anybody know the best place ot get one?

CanadianFC
05-11-2005, 12:07 PM
You should try an alternator repair place unless the car's a daily driver. It'll be cheaper, and they can sometimes upgrade the amps output on them.

Or just check partsource, autovalue, etc.

dj_rice
05-11-2005, 12:39 PM
I'd try Autovalue

Redlyne_mr2
05-11-2005, 01:33 PM
Id stick with an oem from the dealer but thats just me, or have yours rebuilt which is usually super cheap.

Ek9Max
05-11-2005, 01:40 PM
Parcourse has one in stock for $280. with a 5 year warantee

Toyota is like $500+. I didn't check to see how much mine is to get rebuilt. But I don't really want the down time

BokCh0y
05-11-2005, 02:16 PM
for alternator go with aftermarket cuz you'll save some dough. for starter make sure you go back to the dealership and buy oem.

clem24
05-12-2005, 02:10 PM
Can't you get rebuilt starters that are essentially OEM? My starter is sticking so it doesn't retract properly until after the car is warmed up, usually between 10 secs and 2 minutes. Makes an annoying chirping/clicking sound everytime I start it up. At least I think it's the starter...

I am just too lazy and too cheap to replace it at the moment...

clem..

Ek9Max
05-12-2005, 02:50 PM
Clem, that aint' your starter. I bet it's a manifold leak. Look at the manifold studs, I bet you broke one.

clem24
05-13-2005, 02:28 AM
Manifold studs? Hmm.. Interesting. The sound goes away after the car warms up, so perhaps you could be correct if the metal is expanding and makes the sound go away. I dunno, I've had a guy look at it and with a stethecope, seemed to think it was coming from the starter.

Perhaps I can let one of you guys listen to it. It drives me absolutely insane, not to mention the sound is quite embarrassing too! I guess I'll have to check it out.

clem..

Ek9Max
05-13-2005, 08:58 AM
I had tha tsound. Or something I woudl describe the same. It was a broken stud, and I was getting a exhaust leak.

Z24_3.1
05-13-2005, 09:06 AM
junk yard?

clem24
05-13-2005, 10:00 AM
An SW20 in a junk yard? Heh, fairly tough. Heck, a car with a 3SGTE is hard enough. Plus, I don't think I'd want to get something like an alternator from a junk yard. Why not just buy rebuilt? With rebuilds, don't you just bring the shop your old one and they will exchange a new one for you?

EK9Max: so, where am I looking then? This is exhaust manifold we're talking about? (duh) I'll kiss you if that turns out to be the problem :burnout:. If I do identify a broken stud, do I just get a replacement from Toyota, or does this involve something like drilling the stud out.

clem..

jvillain
05-13-2005, 11:20 AM
If I do identify a broken stud, do I just get a replacement from Toyota, or does this involve something like drilling the stud out.

Get a new stud from toyota. Depending on where the stud broke it could be any where from a PITA to get it out to a full blown bitch. You have to start by pulling the turbo ( good times) and then the exaust manifold.

If there is some of the stud sticking out you may be able to get a small pipe wrench on it or you may be able to take a die to it and thread the last part and bind a couple of nuts on it. Or as a last resort weld a peice of metal on the end to break it loose.

If none of those work then you get to drill. Those studs are made out of some damn tuff metal and are not facing in a very nice direction. Guess how I know? Some one needs to explain the concept of antiseaze compound to Toyota.

You may then have to put a helicoil in if it just didn't want to give it up. You can try easy outs but I snaped off 2 packs of them trying to get mine out. Left hand drill bits are supposed to be the cats ass but are very hard to find in town. You can get them from McMaster-Carr though.

After that you have to get your exaust manifold surfaced because if the stud is broken it is because the manifold warped.

At this point I would consider tapping holes for future EGT probes and getting top gun to ceramic coat your exaust manifold. I would also think if there are any other things you want to take care of while you are in there. Water pump, Tstat, great time for the fuel pump up grade, hose from hell etc.

Pray it's the starter.

clem24
05-13-2005, 11:31 AM
ZOINKS! :eek: That sounds like a big job. So then is there a way to actually check for broken studs without turbo removal? Sounds easier to remove the damn starter!!! At least I can see that...

That start up sound doesn't seem so bad after all! Maybe I should wait it out for a rebuild. It's turning 200,000 pretty soon and still running on original internals.

clem..

01RedDX
05-13-2005, 11:37 AM

Ek9Max
05-13-2005, 07:00 PM
Clem. Look at your engine bay. It's ALWAYS the studs on teh leftside of your engine bay.

On the 91-92 there's 7 studs. Just poke your head down there and you'll be able to see 2 studs. it's always one or even 2 of those. If you can't see anything, just feels around.

I had that noise an ddidn' tknow what it was. I took it to toyota and they said it was a exhaust leak. So I looked around and thoguht it was teh turbo gasket. But then I heard that it's VERY common for the studs to break. So I checked the studs. BINGO.

It's not easy to replace that thing. I ended takign everything off and fixing it. Boy did it increse my gas milage. like 80km's per tank more average.

Most people say if you remove the manifold you shoudl get it resurfaced too, then it'll never happen again.

Ek9Max
05-13-2005, 07:02 PM
And if you kiss me, I'll kill you.

stealth
05-14-2005, 05:10 PM
i hope its not your manifold man, the starter takes 5 minutes to install.

clem24
05-14-2005, 10:13 PM
Haha, I am hoping too. I thought the manifold might have been easier. Boy was I wrong. Hmmm.. How do I test the starter though?

Ek9Max
05-14-2005, 10:49 PM
Clem. it's been a coupel days now. You haven't checked the studs yet? IT takes all of 10 seconds! :poosie: