PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Cavalier, trouble already

djaeger22
01-12-2003, 10:20 AM
I bought a 2003 Cavalier 2 weeks ago and I already have problems. It is a quick little car with 140 HP, and was priced right with the 3,000 cash back offer that ran last month, so I went for it.

For those looking at these cars, here is what I am experienceing and why I am going to visit the service center this week:

1) A 'clunk' from the right front tire area when turing left while going over even the smallest of bumps.

2) Accelerating after a complete stop, there is a 'clunk' and 'rattle' from under the car, towards the front.

I think the car might have too much power and torque for the transaxle and related parts, but that is just my initial thought. Can't wait to hear what Chevy says is the problem.

D

RGAGT
01-12-2003, 10:23 AM
Proabley will be a Steering Rack My Ga Had the Same Noise and that 's what it was either that or a Strut Bushing

buh_buh
01-12-2003, 10:24 AM
Thank god for warranties.

djaeger22
01-12-2003, 10:27 AM
I bought an exteded warrenty on it, 6 year-75K miles. J-Cars are known for problems after the base 36K warrenty.

MistaBrent
01-12-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by djaeger22
I bought a 2003 Cavalier 2 weeks ago and I already have problems. It is a quick little car with 140 HP, and was priced right with the 3,000 cash back offer that ran last month, so I went for it.

For those looking at these cars, here is what I am experienceing and why I am going to visit the service center this week:

1) A 'clunk' from the right front tire area when turing left while going over even the smallest of bumps.

2) Accelerating after a complete stop, there is a 'clunk' and 'rattle' from under the car, towards the front.

I think the car might have too much power and torque for the transaxle and related parts, but that is just my initial thought. Can't wait to hear what Chevy says is the problem.

D

Join the club dude.

Cavaliers are todays "Super Car" . The only thing bad I have to say about them and its not neccesarly bad is THEY HAVE TO MUCH FRIKEN POWER !!!!!!!!!

Nix87
01-12-2003, 06:51 PM
Could be from improperly breakin in the engine if the car is brand new ya gotta run it at lots of speeds and not mainting speed all the time... thats my guess anyways..

Nick

ecstasyracer
01-12-2003, 07:52 PM
Cavaliers are todays "Super Car" . The only thing bad I have to say about them and its not neccesarly bad is THEY HAVE TO MUCH FRIKEN POWER !!!!!!!!!

Maybe yours does but sorry man stock or even bpu calvaliers don't have too much power. No offence to cavalier drivers.

ninspeed
01-12-2003, 07:58 PM
140hp, not bad for that small of a car, and fun to drive with the 5 speed getrag tranny. Gotta rember that the new engine is made by opel :D

djaeger22
01-12-2003, 08:34 PM
ecstasyracer: No offense taken.

Here is a nice upgrade for those that think the 140HP is not enough. It's a 220 HP Turbocharged 2003 Cavalier:

http://www.motorcities.com/contents/02JSA570261601.html

D

Ajay
01-13-2003, 12:51 AM
My mom's 2000 Cavalier Sedan had the EXACT same problem when you turned the steering wheel left. Took it to Shaganappi and they replaced the entire steering rack and it's all good now.

I had my 90 Cavalier Z24 and that thing turned out to be the biggest lemon as soon as it turned 10 years old....got rid of it for my hatchie!!!

yakish
02-11-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
Thank god for warranties.
yeah:D

syeve
02-12-2003, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by MistaBrent

Join the club dude.

I cant tell if your joking...:(

ssunrisee
05-14-2003, 03:33 PM
Well I bought my 2003 Cavalier VLX about 2 weeks ago, and I have having two kinds of problems.

The first one is the CD/Radio. It forgets the preset stations and forgets which track for the CD i was on.

I got the thing replaced, and the next day it did the same thing. Now it doesn't lose the preset stations, but still forgets the tracks of the cd. Oh, and sometimes if the last thing I was listening to was the CD, then the next time I turn on my car, the radio turns on or the whole damn thing is off altogether!

Now my dealer says that "Mass" who is the manufacturer of the player says that this is normal and that I have to remove the CD from the player whenever I turn off the car! How stupid is that?

What I have managed to do is turn off the radio before I turn off the car and then it will be ok when i turn it on again.

The second problem I noticed this morning is that the brakes where making a grinding noise when I was reversing.

Anyways, if anyone has any feedback, it would be greatly appreciated. :(

Ben
05-14-2003, 03:41 PM
I bought a 2003 Cavalier

Theres the problem.

:P

Get the steering rack checked out, and the bushings for both it and the strut towers.

Common problem...know of 3 that have had them replaced.

Ferio_vti
05-14-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Ajay

I had my 90 Cavalier Z24 and that thing turned out to be the biggest lemon as soon as it turned 10 years old....got rid of it for my hatchie!!!

No kidding. I friend had one and it fell to shit in a few weeks after he got back in 2000.
He traded in recently for a 95' Monte Carlo. So he went from POS to grandpa car.

rx7_turbo2
05-14-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Ben

Theres the problem.

Thank god someone said it. Hunk of junk car from the begining. And come on people cavalier "pretty" quick lets get serious here. That's almost as bad as the person I heard refer to thier Geo Metro as being "zippy"

The Cavalier and equivalent cars are very good at what they do, and serve a very usefull purpose but quick and zippy are not two of them.

Davan
05-15-2003, 09:06 AM

Does this happen low in first and second gear? Almost sounding like a chain rattling?

If so, it's the getrag tranny. As slick and smooth shifting as this tranny is, it has an issue ( see, german built aint so hot after all ;) ). I believe it is the release bearing. But who knows. GM won't fix it. They say it's 'normal'. Figures.

What they will do, is replace the stock tranny fluid with their own synthetic. For mine, it reduced the noise. But didn't get rid of it completely. I'm actually thinking of going with a redline synthetic or equivalent, and see how that does.

*edit* One more thing. Don't bother posting your Cavalier questions here. You'll find you'll won't get much help, just a lot of flames. Check your PM. :)

Speed_Dreams
05-15-2003, 05:40 PM
Just bring it down to GSL Chev city, they will fix you up nice and good....if the roof dosen't cave in on you:banghead:

Toms-Celica
05-15-2003, 07:30 PM
Can anybody tell me more about this Strut bushing? I just changed the struts on my car and I get a clunk once in awhile. Pictures would be great!