PDA

View Full Version : Chevy Colorado ghost cop car.

Kaos
05-13-2005, 02:37 PM
HEADS UP!!!

I seen it twice already.
Description: White and looks like its used for construction.
It has a white metal rail with wire screening just behind the rear window.

Kinda odd the police are using new vehicles that really look like civilian vehicles.

CRXguy
05-13-2005, 02:38 PM
more cars to look out for. :D

i've seen newer intrepid ghost cars, but they're not white. it's red.

HRD2PLZ
05-13-2005, 02:46 PM
I saw the white Colorado on Deerfoot a few weeks ago. Every time I went by they had someone pulled over.

djstefan
05-13-2005, 03:42 PM
Saw a nice red Impalla with some nice rims and tinted windows some time ago. Bald young guy driving it and had a radar mounted so high inside so you couldn't see it. He was just waiting for me to race him off the lights. Instead, I smiled and pointed at his radar inside the car, so he shook his head and smiled back.

Rockski
05-13-2005, 03:45 PM
white chevy 3/4 tonne up by edmonton, same description, metal mesh and a tool box in the back, got pulled over by him cause i just stopped in the rest area for like 5 minutes to get a drink from my back seat:nut:

5hift
05-14-2005, 07:25 AM
Yeah I was about to make a warning post about these new Chevy Colorado Ghost Cars. No one seems to see em coming the first time as they look just like a contractors truck (all white with some kind of metal frame built into the bed. I'll admit I usually speed a little bit, but havent gotten caught in over 3 years becuase I am usually able to spot undercover cars/regular crusiers from a while away. This guy caught me completely off guard (71 in a 50 zone). Every time I see one they have someone pulled over as well so it looks like im not the only one.

youngbex
05-14-2005, 08:50 AM
cops are getting tricky:thumbsdow

civic_stylez
05-14-2005, 11:12 AM
the thing is, dont drive like an idiot and youll have nothing to worry about.

Nalgene
05-14-2005, 11:16 AM
What I really dislike is that the cops buy some SUV and park it facing highway traffic (particularly coming or going into Calgary on the 2A south of the city)
Then they set up the radar behind the SUV and lift the trunk hatch so its harder to see.
It looks like some person driving an suv just pulled onto the side of the road to fix a flat or make a cell phone call. I dont know... it just seems really sneaky to do something like that. :dunno:

Dj_Stylz
05-14-2005, 11:21 AM
Yeah i saw it on deerfoot this guy passed us fast and when we saw the truck pullling someone over it was the same car that passed us haha. The truck looked kindof cool

5hift
05-14-2005, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by civic_stylez
the thing is, dont drive like an idiot and youll have nothing to worry about.

This thread's purpose is to warn Beyonders of new undercover cop cars, not for your opnion. No one complained about tickets or actually anything, we're just giving a heads up. So post ur shit elsewhere cus no one here wants to see ur opinion.

Xtrema
05-15-2005, 07:27 PM
Saw it on John Laurie. Caught some guy approaching 14th St going East.

CalgarySupra
05-15-2005, 10:08 PM
you guys have to consider any car , no matter if its and old rusted volvo from the 70s or 80s, i seen that.

knees scrapin'
05-16-2005, 02:56 PM
It wasn't me I swear :D

I hope they have worked the engine a litle, even the 5cyl don't have a whole lot of get up and go.

sputnik
05-16-2005, 03:04 PM
There is also a really subtle looking Dodge Durango that has been hanging around the Douglasdale interchange construction lately.

calgarygts
05-16-2005, 03:07 PM
holy crap, a cop driving this stopped beside me at the red light coming towards downtown on memorial and stared me down HARD. I thought to myself, too bad you're in your own truck hey? I guess I was wrong, and very lucky that he just stared me down and let me go (although I was only going 10 over at the most). Close one!!

Tha VZA
05-16-2005, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by CalgarySupra
you guys have to consider any car , no matter if its and old rusted volvo from the 70s or 80s, i seen that.

A VOLVO GHOST CAR!! REALLY!!!

i mean in europe they use volvos and saab's all the time, but here??? wow, never thought that would happen!!

ciao

habsfan
05-16-2005, 06:08 PM
don't see alot of ghost cars in my area, but one tricky thing cops have done here is have a marked cruiser parked behind an unmarked, making it look like he's been pulled over and gettin ticketed. as you drive by without slowing down because you figure he's already busy ticketing someone outside of his cruiser, the unmarked car takes off after you. tricky tricky

canadian_hustla
05-16-2005, 08:42 PM
the chev colarado is a sleeper, it is very hard to tell if it is a cop car at all. To me it looks like a NEW painting truck (steel frame on the back and all). I wish I had a camera phone so I could have taken pics.

I saw it tonight in the NW, it pulled some car over. It has like 3 sets of strobe lights on the back of it (tails, construction frame x2, side of frame, etc) basically everywhere you can think it would have strobes it does. If you see this thing, SLOW DOWN because they will get you.

cheers

CivicDXR
05-16-2005, 10:01 PM
saw it today, was doing the radar thing and giving out tickets outside of my community... very subtle... the whole rack thing at the back makes it look like an oil company work truck or something...

Kaos
05-16-2005, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by CivicDXR
saw it today, was doing the radar thing and giving out tickets outside of my community... very subtle... the whole rack thing at the back makes it look like an oil company work truck or something...

I was totally gonna take a pic of it today when I seen him around the corner.
Sneaky sneaky sneaky.

ryder_23
05-17-2005, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by djstefan
Saw a nice red Impalla with some nice rims and tinted windows some time ago. Bald young guy driving it and had a radar mounted so high inside so you couldn't see it. He was just waiting for me to race him off the lights. Instead, I smiled and pointed at his radar inside the car, so he shook his head and smiled back.

interesting, b/c cps doesnt use moving radar inside there vehicles :thumbsup:

Oh, and my gf saw a biker pulled over the other day, driving a red neon i believe (dont quote me on this, wasnt really paying attention) but paid enough attention to hear, neon + flashing lights + cop standing outside talkin to biker :thumbsup: and headsup

calgarygts
05-18-2005, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by ryder_23

interesting, b/c cps doesnt use moving radar inside there vehicles :thumbsup:

Oh, and my gf saw a biker pulled over the other day, driving a red neon i believe (dont quote me on this, wasnt really paying attention) but paid enough attention to hear, neon + flashing lights + cop standing outside talkin to biker :thumbsup: and headsup

I think he was pretty mad because I sped up fairly quickly from deerfoot to memorial and he was behind me. My car is quiet until I jam on it, where it gets pretty loud. I wasn't driving recklessly but the sound of me accelerating probably got him going. How do you know they don't use moving radar? Good to know if they don't.

sputnik
05-18-2005, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by calgarygts
How do you know they don't use moving radar? Good to know if they don't.

Sounds like the CPS have the capabilities of using moving radar but not moving laser to detect speed.

So your guess is a good as mine. I would drive assuming they have the radar on at all times.

Originally posted by DayGlow
radar and laser are very different. Radar works off of the doppler shift principle, ie change in wave length from hitting a moving object varies with it's speed. That change can accurectly measured even if the emitting platform is moving. So moving radar is just as accurate as stationary.

Originally posted by skidmark
Decatur says that our Genesis II sets are accurate to +/- 1 km/h at 50 km/h.

There are links to radar information on our web site:

http://www.island.net/~cihp/faq.html

Originally posted by skidmark
If I understand correctly, you are asking me about the use of the laser to measure speed.

It is a wonderful tool in that it allows you to carefully target a single vehicle to measure, but AFAIK, it must be used from a stationary position.

I'm sure one day we will have a moving mode setup, but I'm sure that we couldn't afford one today.

TurboZombie
05-18-2005, 03:51 PM
Can't use laser radar (lidar) while moving, the gun must be perfectly still unlike regular radar.

Frank
05-21-2005, 11:15 AM
I've seen the truck twice so far, once on deerfoot when he pulled me over and then last night I saw him driving around in forest lawn. It's kinda creepy how the cops can do that stuff. It really does look like an ordinary work truck too.

knees scrapin'
05-22-2005, 12:51 AM
Be glad yor not in the States, I got yanked by a C5 Vette in Florida. They have evreything down there. Very, very sneaky.

RickDaTuner
05-22-2005, 01:20 AM
I had an encounter with this Truck the other day, Very nice police officer, but yeah totally caught me off gaurd:confused:

BlkMaxima
05-23-2005, 11:07 PM
Well I guess my Girlfriend doesn't believe a word I say because we were on deerfoot last night going home, she was driving and I saw this White colorado with blacked out windows and everything and told her that it was a cop car. So on the part of deerfoot where it goes down to 70 the colorado slowed down and kept going 100 and passed it. Couple seconds later the colorado was tailgating us and then what do you know. Red and Blue flashing lights imagine that. lol she got a ticket and then bitched at me for not telling her to slow down. :rofl:

05-23-2005, 11:11 PM
I can vouch for this, haha got pulled over on elbow by this guy! Nice guy actually! but look out!!

eblend
05-24-2005, 08:49 AM
also look out for those dodge caravans..before they just used to sit on the side of the road, now they sit there with hazards on as if they are broken down, yet the radar and the dude are still in there

Phy
05-27-2005, 01:40 PM
Saw it yesterday, pulled over on the curb between Bow Bottom and Deerfoot southbound. The only way I recognized it was I saw the cop walking back to it, that is one sneaky friggin' truck!

lastprodigy
05-27-2005, 05:50 PM
wow i saw that hting pulle someone over on the offramp to southland from deerfoot north, its a good hting i saw it like that cuz it doesnt even have the black fleet sticker like the rest of ghost cars....nad also soo many ghost cars out nowadays....

SuPhistiKatEd
06-01-2005, 08:54 PM
Spotted on Bow Trail this afternoon, right under the Crowfoot Bridge...parked right behind the bridge pillars so he couldn't be spotted...managed to catch quite a few.

lastprodigy
06-02-2005, 12:12 AM
the thing that sets it apart is tha tit doesnt have the black fllet sticker that all cop/ghost cars usually do

Twinkie
06-02-2005, 03:12 AM
lol i got myslef pulled over by it.. ooo i know it exist now

Kaos
06-02-2005, 11:52 PM
I couldnt take a picture of what it looked like from behind because I was holding up traffic taking this picture
(you can notice in my side mirror :devil: )

EDIT: you can totally make out the wire mesh thing in the back behind the window and you can barely make out the black compartment right after.
Sneaky little buggers.

canadian_hustla
06-03-2005, 02:26 AM
^

nice!

pics at last

7thgenvic
06-03-2005, 02:38 AM
fucking cop, i saw him pulling car after car over!

Ben
06-03-2005, 05:37 AM
He likes to sit in construction zones. Seen him twice on my way to work on the douglasdale/deerfoot zone. I love it.

rice_eater
06-05-2005, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by habsfan
don't see alot of ghost cars in my area, but one tricky thing cops have done here is have a marked cruiser parked behind an unmarked, making it look like he's been pulled over and gettin ticketed. as you drive by without slowing down because you figure he's already busy ticketing someone outside of his cruiser, the unmarked car takes off after you. tricky tricky

no no no you have to be careful none the less even if they have someone pulled coz there could be more than one cop, and the second one might still be manning the radar gun or something, waiting to leap on teh road for a second kill