PDA

View Full Version : open late (past 6) aquarium store?

Rockski
05-14-2005, 06:17 PM
im looking for a place thats open past 6, on a saturday. airdrie's (which is crap) is open till 5 30
big al's is 6
and pesces (spellin?) is 6

anybody know where i can go at around 8?

jdmakkord
05-15-2005, 08:50 AM
Golds aquariums ltd
bay j 4710-17ave S.E
Calgary Alberta
tel: 273-5567

Hours
mon-wed 10am-8pm
thurs closed
fri 10am-8pm
sat-sun 10am-6pm

Awesome cichlid selection, decent saltwater, and cheapest prices in town.

AcuraTl
05-16-2005, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord
Golds aquariums ltd
bay j 4710-17ave S.E
Calgary Alberta
tel: 273-5567

Hours
mon-wed 10am-8pm
thurs closed
fri 10am-8pm
sat-sun 10am-6pm

Awesome cichlid selection, decent saltwater, and cheapest prices in town.

dont go to golds its a rip-off....

jdmakkord
05-16-2005, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by AcuraTl

dont go to golds its a rip-off....

How so? I've been to most fish shops in town, and he is still has the best quality fish, for the best prices around.

SikAssR1
05-16-2005, 04:55 PM
best quality fish? i don't think so

accord823
05-17-2005, 08:52 AM
Go check out Golds man. Unbeatable Price and nice fish. :clap:

QuasarCav
05-17-2005, 09:02 AM
Big Al's in the heritage square is open until 9pm. I'm not sure if they are good or not I just know when they are open to.

sputnik
05-17-2005, 10:39 AM
Gold's is GREAT!

Rav4Guy
05-17-2005, 10:44 AM
Riverfront Aquarium. :thumbsup:

haze4dayz
05-17-2005, 11:40 AM
Ive, been all over the city and have had been into the freshwater fish thang for 6 years now and i think Golds is so far the cheapest in town for quality Cichlids. And they are also very knowledgeable. Keep in mind that there breeders so you will find mostly baby fish which is good for starting Cichild tanks. :thumbsup:

Rockski
05-17-2005, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
Big Al's in the heritage square is open until 9pm. I'm not sure if they are good or not I just know when they are open to.

not on the weekends

Originally posted by Rav4Guy
Riverfront Aquarium. :thumbsup:

i heard about that place today, thinking about checking it out mayby this weekend if im in town

Originally posted by haze4dayz
Ive, been all over the city and have had been into the freshwater fish thang for 6 years now and i think Golds is so far the cheapest in town for quality Cichlids. And they are also very knowledgeable. Keep in mind that there breeders so you will find mostly baby fish which is good for starting Cichild tanks. :thumbsup:

not down with the cichilid thing :thumbsdow

AcuraTl
05-17-2005, 09:55 PM
golds fish are cheap but they arent healthy...they did a CBC scam thingy a few years ago about it...

jdmakkord
05-17-2005, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by AcuraTl
golds fish are cheap but they arent healthy...they did a CBC scam thingy a few years ago about it...

In the last 4 years, I've had no problems with my fish from there. Cant say the same for picses or riverfront though.

civicrider
05-17-2005, 10:09 PM
riverside is really good so much shit in there not sure on the hours.

D'z Nutz
05-17-2005, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord

In the last 4 years, I've had no problems with my fish from there. Cant say the same for picses or riverfront though.

I'd have to agree with jdmakkord. I've been shopping there for the past 4 or 5 years and they've given me nothing but good service at great prices. Anyone I've recommended that place to has felt the same.

jus_sum_guy
05-18-2005, 03:02 AM
I'd have to agree with jdm and D'z nutz. :thumbsup:

Also, Chums Aquariums has a good selection with very,very decent prices

haze4dayz
05-18-2005, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Rockski

not down with the cichilid thing :thumbsdow

what type of fish are you looking for?

jdmakkord
05-18-2005, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by haze4dayz

what type of fish are you looking for?

I think he picked up a puffer....definately a neat fish, if I had room in my 140, I'd own one too:D

Lo)2enz0
05-18-2005, 04:28 PM
puffers, damn those guys have little sharp beaks. wouldn't mind a group of figure eights for myself.

But if your despirate stop by at a petland if you need stuff. Being an ex-employee well you should hear what most of the people do there to make a sale "you need this, this and this to have a healthy aquarium". people started calling me the fish geek since I was one of 2 people that actually knew what they were talking about.

As for store, peices (sp) has gone down hill ever since the owner stopped giving a rats ass. for god sakes they have been saying that they will have the salt water back up in a few months for over a year now.

riverfront, I only go there for discus really. Everyone else's discus suck. as for there other fish, the arrowana selection kicks ass and they are in great shape, and they have the best slection and rarest ones in all of canada. The salt water stuff is ok, I am still waiting on Captive clown fish, but its easier to get rare discus in calgary that a damn captive group of clowns. As for there other fish, i have nothing to say about the quality. sometimes its awsome, sometimes it just sucks. But I have to say I haven't seen pike cichlets in a while and riverfront managed to get a group of them in a month ago.

Big al's, nothing good about them, crappy quality.

gold's, still haven't made my way down there. But I should. hearld alot of good things about them.

the bargan finder, cheapest way to get large tanks and sometimes breeders shoot there stuff in there.

petland, well same as riverfront, it can be good and it can suck ass. In my opinion, if you kill a cichlet due to crappy care get out of fish. Those things live in there damn filth with spikes all of the time and its impossible to kill the damn guys.

Anyone want a redtail cat fish? ha ha ha (fish geeks will get that)

so who here is a member of the CAS?

D'z Nutz
05-18-2005, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by jus_sum_guy
I'd have to agree with jdm and D'z nutz. :thumbsup:

Also, Chums Aquariums has a good selection with very,very decent prices

Where abouts is Chums?

Originally posted by Lo)2enz0
In my opinion, if you kill a cichlet due to crappy care get out of fish. Those things live in there damn filth with spikes all of the time and its impossible to kill the damn guys.

That's not exactly true! Rams can be pretty sensitive to water conditions. They're so cool though. I'm under the impression that discus are pretty sensitive to water with higher pH levels, but probably not so much if they're locally bred.

Anyone want a redtail cat fish? ha ha ha (fish geeks will get that)

Those are so cool, but everytime I see one, I'm reminded of an ice cream sandwich! :rofl: They have a 5 foot long one at the Vancouver aquarium which was neat to see.

Lo)2enz0
05-19-2005, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

That's not exactly true! Rams can be pretty sensitive to water conditions. They're so cool though. I'm under the impression that discus are pretty sensitive to water with higher pH levels, but probably not so much if they're locally bred.

Those are so cool, but everytime I see one, I'm reminded of an ice cream sandwich! :rofl: They have a 5 foot long one at the Vancouver aquarium which was neat to see.

alright you got me there. Alot of the south american's are sensitive as well. You know that discus are classified as a cichlet?

I have kept blue german rams and I do have to agree, they are little basterds. In my opinion, they are alot harder to keep them discus. Plus you need a large aquarium to keep these little guys since they are so aggressive (mainly the males).

But you have to admit, anyone who kills an electic yellow, afra, or well most africas well, stay away from fish. These guys are more heartier than tetras, and when I see someone kill an afican cichlet and says that they think they should just work with neon tetras I used to gets kicks from that.

When your dealing with discus the best thing to do is to keep the pH higher when your starting out, than slowly move it down to 6.2 (most discus are happy just above 7.0 pH). works like a charm and I use untreated tap water when doing a water change now.

Ya, I wish I could own a red tail. a guy who I used to work with had a 3.5 foot one and he attempted to keep oscars with it but when he woke up the next morning he only saw a very fat red tail.

jus_sum_guy
05-19-2005, 02:53 PM
German rams are agrresive?? First time i've heard of that. Ive been raising rams and they r sooooo timid. But i guess it depends on the fish.

Chums Aquariums is on the corner of 8th ave and Edmonton Trail N.E.

Not much of a website, but worth checking out i guess....

www.geocities.com/chumsaquariumsandpets

Lo)2enz0
05-19-2005, 03:19 PM
With german rams, I have noticed that they get really aggressive when mating. With my experience I noticed that they really started to get aggressive in my 20gal high (10gal dimensions but twice as tall) a trio got really aggressive in there.