PDA

View Full Version : Honda Rust Repair

mdeleon
05-14-2005, 09:27 PM
I didn't know which section to post this in so I just posted here, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a good reliable palce to get honda rust fixed, the quarter panels...by what i mean about getting fixed is no bondoing, but actuall cutting out the rust and replacing it with new metal or however they do it. Any businesses or private perople that can do it? and what is the average cost of doing a job like this? including painting.

Mods, feel free to move this to the appropriate section, but i know it'll gt more attention here since more people go in this section as my buddy's looking to get his rust fixed really soon.

GoChris
05-14-2005, 10:16 PM
good question. I need this done on my civic as well and definately want metal welded in there, no bondo crap temporary fix.

1-Bar
05-14-2005, 10:23 PM
hmmm....for a 4th gen, try to find a front end collison one and pull the panels off that. There are a lot around....and then just get it resprayed....

I mean with you have to get it repained either way...

3G
05-14-2005, 10:40 PM
What about cutting the rust and filling it with fiberglass? The rust won't come back

mdeleon
05-14-2005, 10:55 PM
well it's not technially for me, but if a good price comes along, i might...so far it'sa for my buddy's civic...and ye when he was looking around today he went somewhere that was gonna fill it with fiberglass. i was wondering, is that another type of bondo or what? and as 3g noted, wouldn't that be better as it's not metal and won't rust.

mdeleon
05-14-2005, 10:59 PM
oh and the places he went to was at macco behind soundsurround in the NE, and some other place on 32nd ave...macco quoted 9 something for the rust repair plus painted front and rear lips...and the other place quoted 1500 just for the rust repair...i forgot which one was gonna do the fiberglass filling tho

mdeleon
05-14-2005, 11:00 PM
and shit, i wish i had the money to get mine done, the main reason why i haven't shown up to any of the meets is cuz of my rust :eek: :guns: :cry:

Hash_man
05-15-2005, 01:35 AM
What about cutting the rust and filling it with fiberglass? The rust won't come back

Thats just a half assed way of doing it... The rusted area shoujld be cut out and replaced with new metal... you cannot completely ever get rid of it, except replacing the quarter panels... but if you get it repaired properly, nothing should show for 3-4 years on average.

Try Horton Autobody, theyre pretty good, and do rust repairs/

CIVIC_MAN
05-15-2005, 12:09 PM
my buddy knows the name of this stuff, when you apply it to rust, it neutralizes the metal and returns it to paintable metal. NO MORE RUST

pm him

cressida_pimpin

mac_82
05-15-2005, 12:12 PM
when i was selling my civic i went to maco to replace the rear quater panel and do some repainting. i think i paid about $450, and they did a pretty good job. they charged a lot less than other places i went to for quotes too, some places quoted me as high as $900.

Icecube
05-17-2005, 05:04 PM
POR-15, CIVIC MAN, POR-15 is our friend.... And rust worst ennemy!
:bigpimp:

autospeed
05-17-2005, 06:59 PM
If you actually want metal welded in there, you better be willing to spend some money. Takes a hell of a lot more work to do that, and most people say they want all metal then they see the price. AAA Auto will do it, pm me if u get the chance.

cressida_pimpin
05-20-2005, 12:02 PM
dont take it to macco. my friend's dad took his truck there and they say they give u a 1 year warrenty on the rust. gues what. not even a year has gone by and its coming back. what u need is rust check inhibator. gring out all the rust, soak the surrounding metal in that, then fill with everglass short haired fibreglass. as soon as the fibreglass is cured (24 hours is a good amount of time) then take some tremclad rust paint and if u can spray the back part of the fixed panel then u will have no more problems in the future.make sure if you are gunna drive it for a week or so before gettin it painted that you spray the tremclad on it or the bare fibreglass will absorb moisture and start the problem all over again. so basically seal the place u have fixed right after you do it.

heavyD
05-20-2005, 12:50 PM
Replace the panels. There is no sure way to get rid of rust as that's why they call it cancer. You can cure it temporarily but it will come back.

'93 SR-V
05-20-2005, 01:21 PM
I had some rust bubbles on my rear quarter of my prelude. I had it fixed at National while they were doing my front end. I think it cost about $400, with a new piece cut out and welded in (not the whole 1/4, but a strip maybe 8 inches by 24 inches). The price was good, but in some light you can see where they welded the new piece in. The other option is a new 1/4, but that's around $1500.

eeseen racing
05-27-2005, 12:20 PM
cutin out or not you will have to use bondo/filler it is the way all auotbody is done to completly fill it works but cxan crack under extreme heat or cold, cutin and welding then filling would be the proper way but not really worth it on a older car like that. reason be more and more will soon start rusting

HPR
06-12-2005, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by eeseen racing
cutin out or not you will have to use bondo/filler it is the way all auotbody is done to completly fill it works but cxan crack under extreme heat or cold, cutin and welding then filling would be the proper way but not really worth it on a older car like that. reason be more and more will soon start rusting

^^^ true... no matter where you go, if you're rear quarters were cut out and had new metal shaped to fit, you will still need body filler for all the minor imperfections. only time you wouldn't need body filler is if you got a factory replacement rear quarter welded on. factory replacement rear quarter panels = $$$. unless you're willing to keep the car for the rest of your life, IMHO its not worth doing it to a 10+ year older car...

as for using fiberglass, if you're making a mold for a cosmetic panel then its the cheaper way to do it. if the panel you're mocking up is structural then I would recommend it getting replaced with metal. since all hondas are unibodies, you'll have to determine if the rust has infected a structural part of the body :)