PDA

View Full Version : NEW 2006 3 series E90

jblitz101
05-14-2005, 11:23 PM
Greetings!

I just attended the launch of the new 3 Series on May 13.

I must say that BMW did a great job on the new car. The car looks good, is sporty and luxurious at the same time. The outside looks aggressive yet classy.

I think they did a good job!

The new 5 series with Xdrive was also introduced as well.

All in all, I am quite impressed. I will purchase on within the next few years I think.

John

max_boost
05-15-2005, 12:41 AM
Perhaps my view might change after seeing it in person but definitely not a big fan of it right now.

Some links
http://www.bmw.ca/microsites/e90/default.aspx?mode=home&src=bmwca&lang=en
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/bmw/3series/100530523/photos.html

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2006/BMW/100278559/20022018-E.jpg
First Drive: 2006 BMW 330i
The Next 3 Is Still the One to Beat

By Ken Gross
Date posted: 02-10-2005

The BMW 3 Series. It's a family of vehicles that's nothing short of iconic, representing over half the firm's 1.2-million-unit volume. In sports parlance, it's the franchise. Munich's sportiest, most youthful car is now 30 years old and it's still the world's most imitated sport sedan. Infiniti wants to be the Japanese BMW. So does Mazda. Cadillac's CTS would like some of that cachet, too. Even Mercedes-Benz had to buy AMG to reinvent itself as a maker of sporty four-doors.

So BMW's challenge once again was to improve on a car many drivers think is perfect. The Muncheners raised the competitive bar by improving virtually every measurable indicator. The new BMW 3 Series is perfectly balanced and that compliment is not limited to its admirable 50.6/49.4 weight distribution. The new 3 represents a clever combination of smart styling, mechanical harmony and great driving dynamics.

The New Look
Lately, BMW has been hammered for fussy styling, especially on its flagship 7 Series. The cleanly drawn new BMW 3 Series targets younger, more expressive buyers. External changes have been dialed back, but the look has not been dumbed down. Call this car evolutionary in styling. There's a distinctly wedge-shaped profile, with a clean pair of character lines that smoothly integrate the hood line and grille surround, culminating in a discreet scoop under the twin kidneys. A sharp side crease ends sweetly at the front wheel arches.

More Power
As befitting a BMW, both new engines are highly refined inline sixes with rigid blocks made of a unique magnesium-aluminum composite alloy. The bedplate (lower part of the engine) is magnesium alloy and is similar conceptually to that of the M5's V10. The upper crankcase is magnesium alloy, too, for weight-saving and even more stiffness. An aluminum alloy insert is used to form the cylinders and cooling passages. Hollow camshafts save additional weight. An oil cooler/heat exchanger speeds warm-up and alternatively keeps the oil cool under high-output/high-heat conditions. The BMW 330i has a three-stage variable induction system, an electric cooling pump and a volume-controlled oil pump that only pumps as much oil as needed, saving engine power.

Of keen interest to Bimmer fans is the fact that both the 325i and 330i are now powered by 3.0-liter engines. The only real difference between the two is output. The BMW 325's inline six comes through with 215 horsepower and 185 pound-feet of torque. The BMW 330i is still a much bigger treat, though. Its new engine weighs 22 pounds less than its predecessor. It's also more powerful, more fuel-efficient and more compact. In addition to the usual double VANOS magic, this engine features the Valvetronic continuously variable valve lift seen in the 5 and 7 Series. At 255 hp, it's still not the most powerful engine in its class, but it revs like a demon and delivers a meaty torque curve well matched to its crisp-shifting six-speed manual gearbox.

The redesigned six-speed manual transmission has shortened shift throws, an improved and lighter feel and revised gear spacing for better responsiveness. The gearbox oil never needs changing.

An optional six-speed automatic offers two settings for Normal or Sport shifting. It's 10-percent lighter than its predecessor. An improved torque converter and fewer clutches reduce fuel consumption. The Steptronic mode permits quick manual shifts. BMW's sequential manual gearbox (SMG), with steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters, will be available a few months after launch.

BMW's double-pivot independent front suspension has been adapted for the 3 Series, with a pair of lower arms that complement the car's upgraded MacPherson struts. An all-new five-link rear suspension, featuring many lightweight aluminum pieces, is combined with an all-new, more rigid chassis. Oversized ventilated discs in all four corners and an aluminum steering rack ensure precise handling and braking.

Like a Dream
We drove the BMW 330i on twisty mountain roads near Valencia, Spain, and on a section of the Albacete racetrack. The sporty sedan turns in crisply, helped by its beautifully weighted steering and precise on-center feel. Even without the optional active steering, the new 3 carves corners with aplomb. Handling is stable, predictable and flat-out exhilarating. Disconnect the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) and you can break the rear loose; with DSC, 0-to-60 times are in the low-6-second range.

Time after time, in tight, decreasing-radius turns, we hammered the virtually fade-free, ventilated brakes, then accelerated swiftly. The 3 positively reveled in the challenge. Even better than its predecessors, this car rewards drivers with its eagerness to straighten out the twistiest roads.

There's even a brake-drying feature where pads periodically wipe rotors, without applying the brakes, to ensure they're always ready for swift, sure stops. The 3's brakes even feature separate front and rear wear sensors. The Bavarians have thought of everything.

Larger and More Luxurious
Although the 2006 BMW 3 Series rides on a 1.4-inch-longer wheelbase and has a 1.2-inch-wider track than the 2005 model, the weight gain is less than 100 pounds. There's fractionally more shoulder room and headroom in the new model. The passenger compartment is 2.2 cubic feet larger; the trunk is 1.3 cubic feet bigger. There's plenty of room up front and a surprising amount of rear-seat room.

Inside, the new 3 offers a greatly simplified version of the troublesome iDrive system, accessible controls and a primo driving position. Supportive front buckets hold you tight during aggressive cornering. The main instrument binnacle presents BMW's usual combination of large, easy-to-read dials. A companion binnacle alongside houses the optional navigation system — if you don't opt for the nav, there's only one raised cowl section. Build and materials quality is beyond reproach.

It's Still the One
Greatness has its price, though, so expect to pay a little more for the 2006 BMW 3 Series when it arrives here in May 2005.

Nevertheless, BMW aficionados will feel right at home in this new car, even if that means 99-cent chalupa lunches at Taco Bell to make the payments. Meanwhile, BMW's competitors will realize they haven't aimed high enough...again.

/////AMG
05-15-2005, 01:25 PM
IMO, it's fugly.

Hottest BMW right now is the M6 :drool:

g-mcstud
05-16-2005, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by /////AMG
IMO, it's fugly.

Hottest BMW right now is the M6 :drool:

Too bad it only comes in SMG.:cry:

JordanLotoski
05-16-2005, 10:24 PM
yeah new 3 series is :barf:

M_Power
05-16-2005, 10:44 PM
not too happy with the departure from original BMW styling, but hopefully things will change with the coupe body, and the new M.

SwitchBlade
05-16-2005, 10:46 PM
I would have liked to have attended the launch but, I had to work.

I think that most people will have the same reaction to Chris Bangle's design. You will either love it or hate it. I personally think the exterior is very sharp. I like what Adrian Van Hooydonk has done with the design. I think it would be neat to test out the active steering.

benyl
05-16-2005, 10:49 PM
I will reserve judgement for the coupe. There is bound to be a refresh in a couple of years for the to get it "right." I didn't like the early e46, but the refresh got my attention.

Loose
05-16-2005, 11:05 PM
anyone know if there is a launch in edmonton?

Chrisw
05-19-2005, 12:34 PM
the launch in edmonton was tuesday........sorry bud, ya missed it. As forthe coupe, it is no better than the sedan. The front looks basicly the same, just the body is a littlemore sloped to conform to the two doors on the side vs.the 4........All I have to say is E46 for life!! LOL.:thumbsup:

M_Power
05-19-2005, 02:49 PM
^^
Do you have any pics of the coupe you could post?

C4S
05-19-2005, 11:29 PM
;)

they look nice!

http://forums.princeon.com/files/blackbeat.jpg

tapout
05-20-2005, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by C4S
;)

they look nice! looks ok the back is kinda :thumbsdow

Chrisw
05-20-2005, 10:34 AM
sorry no, I ve only seen them a few times.......dont have any....

BumpinTalon
05-20-2005, 10:42 AM
wow that's a good lookin car. didn't the Infiniti G35 beat the 3-series in a Road & Track test, though?

Chrisw
05-20-2005, 03:32 PM
Found a pic.......but you'll notice that this one has an M5 bumper ps'd on......
http://foto.pixelit.no/6/e90ci.jpg

max_boost
05-23-2005, 01:13 PM
^^^

Hopefully BMW will come out with M-Tech 3 aero kit soon. The above looks hot!

Chrisw
05-24-2005, 02:37 PM
well.........ok.......this doesnt look bad.....but it's just proof that BBS LM's make anything HOT!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2020&stc=1

XylathaneGTR
05-25-2005, 11:23 PM
You gotta see it in person, i also attended the launch party and i have to say, i hated the pictures i saw but when i saw it in person the front was verrrry nice. It looked much much more agressive and mean, with really fat fenders (which i seem to like right now) The back end im not really loving (and it reminds me of a Jetta, espically when the trunk lid is up)
The interior is much nicer and roomier, and the cup holders actually don't suck like they do on the E60 (they look so flimsy and crappy on the E60.)
I have to say, it's a much nicer car than what it replaces, and the best part?
325 start price = the same as 05 MSRP.
330 start price = $100 over 05 MSRP.

gpomp
05-26-2005, 12:44 AM
my aunt bought one... with a CF lip?

2m0a0x2
05-26-2005, 01:47 AM
yeah, they have these OEM optional splitter things you can buy. It actually looks quite out of place IMHO. It's like they just added it on for no reason.