PDA

View Full Version : Car Manufacturers

Nix87
01-12-2003, 07:41 PM
Whats ur favourite brand...and most hated...

Weapon_R
01-12-2003, 07:47 PM
Favorite - Honda (best cars we've owned)

Least - Chrysler (worst and most unreliable vehicles we've ever owned - 2 transmissions, one radiator, one stereo, one heater and several other small things in the 4 years we were cursed with a Chrysler - and it was off the lot! Most happened after the warranty period too.)

Nix87
01-12-2003, 07:49 PM
Ya, we used to have Jeep and that thing was the biggest piece of crap we've owned. Engine mounts rusted off...id hafta agree Chrysler is the worst brand goin

Nick

theken
01-12-2003, 07:52 PM
my fav brand is nissan due to the skyline, and my most hated is honda :thumbsup:

RickDaTuner
01-12-2003, 07:53 PM
I love the Nissan Toyota and Honda the three best brans for Various reasons but the most despised would have to Be ford and Chrysler, the go about the Car buisness all wrong, makes me wonder why they are still in the game

Mikko
01-12-2003, 08:25 PM
:love: Peugeot
Why? They build no nonsense, very practical, very fun to drive, cheap quick little buggers. Not only do they perform all their intended uses extremely well, but they have really unique good styling and design, too.

:guns: Mercedes.
Why? Terrible design, impractical status symbol cars that bring thoughts to dragsters and luxurious livingrooms. Just feel as most mercedes cars are such a waste of engineering, effort and material.

theken
01-12-2003, 08:32 PM
mikko may have crossed a line with kenny and rage:guns: :guns: they might just have to kill you:eek: :D

Mikko
01-12-2003, 08:34 PM
:rofl: they won't kill me. Mercedes cars just don't appeal to me at all, not my kind of cars.

I'm sure there are way worse brands but I can't think of anyone I feel any worse of than Mercedes at the moment.

Ajay
01-12-2003, 09:04 PM
Favourite - BMW cause they make the nicest cars with both performance and luxury. Also cause the power available in those car's is available at your disposal and the fact that BMW sticks by their principle of never producing a car with forced induction. (I like forced induction but it's tough to find a company that doesn't have a single forced induction car)

Least - Chevrolet...has too many problems with my 90 Cavalier Z24.

Hakkola
01-12-2003, 09:59 PM
Yeah, I hate my car, I swear at it because of it's terrible design and harsh ride everyday, lol. It's alright, you can have your opinion.

I love mercedes and bmw because they are great looking safe cars with enough power to get you around, they're also very fun cars. I love the relationship I have with the mercedes salesmen, when I go there to get my car serviced they talk to me like a friend and show me things about the new mercs and talk cars with me until I'm ready to leave, last time I talked with one guy about the new s600 and all kinds of stuff, they're great. I like bmw because of their cars, didn't like their salesmen anywhere near as much as mercedes though.

Cadillac, I hate it, they just seem very unreliable, we test drove a new one, automatic and it kept stalling, shady business people too. I wouldn't mind having an escalade though.

GTS Jeff
01-12-2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by theken
my fav brand is nissan due to the skyline, and my most hated is honda :thumbsup:

lol ure a ricer. the skyline is overrated. (nsx still rapes skyline in the JGTC) plus u dont see me saying chevy sucks cuz they makes j bodies.

every brand has its ups and downs. i liek honda for because they are decent in every category that counts. they are reliable and for the most part they give a very good driving experience. they arent particularly fast nor crazy looking, but for me, speed isnt that important since i drive under 150 most of the time and crazy attention getting looks isnt my style either.

the manufacturer that i dislike most would be ford. i dont understand why ford has to use the same engines over and over as the decades roll past. fords are known for their low build quality, lack of reliability, their tendency to guzzle gas, and their distinct lack of a fun driving experience. sure, theyre fast, but as ive said...im not the stomp on the gas kinda guy. another thing i cant stand about ford is their marketing and ideals. "quality is job one" or whatever their catchphrase is...haha what a joke! also, ford like the other detroit car makers always capitalize on the "americans should buy american cars" concept. totally idiotic.

Weapon_R
01-12-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
Cadillac, I hate it, they just seem very unreliable, we test drove a new one, automatic and it kept stalling, shady business people too. I wouldn't mind having an escalade though.

Cadillac unreliable? LOL!!!

Search the net for "Most reliable car" and see who you find. Cadillac has long been the most reliable car you can buy.

speedracer
01-12-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Search the net for "Most reliable car" and see who you find. Cadillac has long been the most reliable car you can buy.
:drool: Northstar Engine....:drool:

Hakkola
01-12-2003, 11:15 PM
Hey, didn't seem reliable to me, I dunno, the automatic stalled after it was started, then my mom called and they said they fixed it, she went and tried it again and same thing.

I just did a couple quick searches on google for car reliability and cadillac was nowhere to be found. Show me some info and maybe I'll believe it, otherwise it's just more meaningless words.

With your search I did however find some MB's. :dunno:

240D's routinely turn over the odometer 3 or four times. A 200D from 1968 went for 900,00 miles before the engine was replaced, then continued for over a million miles. Mercedes found out about it and bought it back from the guy for promotion.

Melinda
01-12-2003, 11:34 PM
Favorite- Volkswagen

Least Favorite- Ford :thumbsdow

Mel

three.eighteen.
Originally posted by Ajay
Favourite - BMW cause they make the nicest cars with both performance and luxury. Also cause the power available in those car's is available at your disposal and the fact that BMW sticks by their principle of never producing a car with forced induction. (I like forced induction but it's tough to find a company that doesn't have a single forced induction car)

nah man, they have problems...the 2002 M3s were all self destructing, and they ahve boosted the 2002 (the old car, not the year) as a race car and rumours of a boosted I6 as an engine for the next 5 series

my faourite car make is still bmw though...the driving experience even without the power is enough to put a smile on your face...cars dont need numbers to produce results, just the ability to make the owner enjoy the car

and its a tie between hyundai and kia for most hated...

SilverRex
I'll go with nissan, mitsubishi and subaru lol kuz of the cars I like..

but honda(acuras) from a business stand point.. have done very well.. I think toyota is up there too.. im talking the affordable class.

szw
01-12-2003, 11:45 PM
My fav. is nissan and subaru.

Don't really have a least favourite

redline_13000
01-12-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Cadillac unreliable? LOL!!!

:werd: ..most hated would have to be chrysler

RickDaTuner
01-12-2003, 11:47 PM
Oh yeah I fogot to Mention Subie

Ben
01-13-2003, 02:45 AM
meah, doesn't matter.

I personally Love Anthing that is made by VW.

Porsche Audi VW Skoda Bugatti Lambo ETC. All wicked cars IMO.

Least favored...Ford Hands down, its just my entitled opinion.

Silencer
01-13-2003, 02:57 AM
Favorite: Porsche: stunning performance, generally good reliablity if cared for, supercar performance for sports car price.
(Runners-up: BMW, Audi/VW, Honda.)

Least favorite: Kia, Daewoo, Chrysler: Poor reliablity and safety(Koreans especially).

Silencer
01-13-2003, 03:00 AM
If we can bring in crazy sh1t, then Aston Martin, Ruf, Bugatti, Koeningsegg, Pagani, Lotus, Venturi and to a lesser extent Ferrari.

RiceCake
01-13-2003, 06:20 AM
Favorite manufacturers for me are: Mercedes, BMW, Audi, and VW, but more for my range, I'm liking Toyota, and Honda.

Least fav would be Ford. Uncle used to drive a tempo and damn I lost count of how many times a week he would call me and ask for a lift due to his car being down yet again....

aZnBlooD
01-13-2003, 06:30 AM
favorite: nissan/infinity
least favorite: kia - got one for a loaner car once, it was biggest piece of shit ever!

Aleks
01-13-2003, 09:28 AM
Favourite: Nissan/Infinity
Least Favourite: Pontiac

RiceCake
01-13-2003, 11:33 AM
Hmm... I gotta say Pontiac's can sure take a beating. But yeah I agree haha my experiences with Pontiacs are that they're still a$$. :D

GTS Jeff
01-13-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by RiceCake
Hmm... I gotta say Pontiac's can sure take a beating. But yeah I agree haha my experiences with Pontiacs are that they're still a$$. :D hahahaha yea, thats the same reason im not knocking chrysler...damn those minivans can hold up to abuse!

calarina
01-13-2003, 11:49 AM
My favorite is probably Honda/Acura, cuz my car has proven to me that they go forever. LOL, and Leo says my car defies the laws of automobiles...it should be dead! I also like BMW, more specifically a BMW M3 :drool:

Lease favorite type of car, I don't really think I have a brand of car that I absolutely hate. I don't really care very much for any domestic brand, but they're still good cars. :)

RiceCake
01-13-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
hahahaha yea, thats the same reason im not knocking chrysler...damn those minivans can hold up to abuse!

Damn we gotta take both the beasts out to the little rally course next time you come back to cowtown. Lets see which holds up to more abuse... :rofl:

max_boost
01-13-2003, 12:51 PM
I love my BMW and hate my BMW

They are great cars, very smooth, very refined, very nice looking cars but when anything breaks down it costs an arm and a leg!

I'm switching over to Japanese soon anyway

GTS Jeff
01-13-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by RiceCake

Damn we gotta take both the beasts out to the little rally course next time you come back to cowtown. Lets see which holds up to more abuse... :rofl: we should set it up like time trials...wrc styles!

mrmattyk
01-13-2003, 01:53 PM
Favorite company: Tomita

Least favorite: Pontiac

Mikko
01-13-2003, 02:16 PM
lol, stage times. If you do it, promise to throw in a car just for referance (preferably driven by both of you), and to get lots of good footage.

crx
01-13-2003, 02:25 PM
Hey, didn't seem reliable to me, I dunno, the automatic stalled after it was started, then my mom called and they said they fixed it, she went and tried it again and same thing.

I just did a couple quick searches on google for car reliability and cadillac was nowhere to be found. Show me some info and maybe I'll believe it, otherwise it's just more meaningless words.

With your search I did however find some MB's. :dunno:

Yep those were the old Mercedes Diesels. Personally I think the quality of benz's has gone down since the 1990. Those old Diesels could easily last untill 500k miles :)

Hakkola
01-13-2003, 02:31 PM
I wouldn't agree, my car has almost 200 000km and it's holding up very well, it's a 94, I don't think it's that the quality has gone down much, maybe people are just getting lazy and not taking care of their cars. Then again my car is a W124, after that quality probably went down a little bit, but they're still great cars.

I can't see Mercedes or any company making cars last like they used to, it's just not smart business, why would you want someone to buy a car from you and have it last a lifetime, when you can make it wear down a little quicker and sell more cars to the same person.

T5_X
01-13-2003, 02:42 PM
All of you are using anecdotal evidence to back up your claims of reliability. My guiness book of world records says the highest mileage ever put on a car is 3,029,685 km on a 66 volvo p-1800s. Does this mean that car is the most reliable car ever produced? Of course not! The closest thing we have to accurate reliability data is consumer reports, though thier statistics are flawed for many reasons they do paint a general picture for reliability.

Also, you can't generalize every single car associated with a certain company, companies like ford and GM make an extremely variable range of vehicles wordlwide, each with thier own strengths and weaknesses. Are people gonna hate on subaru now because GM owns 20% of them?

Anyway, I don't hate on any single company, almost every company does things better than another and appeals to different people. The things that are most important to me are safety, reliability and practicality/versitility it should come as no surprise, therefore, that my favorite companies are Volvo, Subaru and Toyota.

crx
01-13-2003, 02:52 PM
I wouldn't agree, my car has almost 200 000km and it's holding up very well, it's a 94, I don't think it's that the quality has gone down much, maybe people are just getting lazy and not taking care of their cars. Then again my car is a W124, after that quality probably went down a little bit, but they're still great cars.

I can't see Mercedes or any company making cars last like they used to, it's just not smart business, why would you want someone to buy a car from you and have it last a lifetime, when you can make it wear down a little quicker and sell more cars to the same person.

I couldnt imagine the quality going down too much from 1990-1994 because thats only 4 years. But from 1990-2003, im sure the quality has gone down significantly.

GTS Jeff
01-13-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Mikko
lol, stage times. If you do it, promise to throw in a car just for referance (preferably driven by both of you), and to get lots of good footage. haha actually ricecakes "beast" is an old pontiac 6000le...

hmmm so does anyone else want to enter the "behind jeffs parents house rally challenge of shitty cars"? and who wants to film?

Hakkola
01-13-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Ranger_X31
All of you are using anecdotal evidence to back up your claims of reliability. My guiness book of world records says the highest mileage ever put on a car is 3,029,685 km on a 66 volvo p-1800s. Does this mean that car is the most reliable car ever produced? Of course not! The closest thing we have to accurate reliability data is consumer reports, though thier statistics are flawed for many reasons they do paint a general picture for reliability.

Also, you can't generalize every single car associated with a certain company, companies like ford and GM make an extremely variable range of vehicles wordlwide, each with thier own strengths and weaknesses. Are people gonna hate on subaru now because GM owns 20% of them?

Anyway, I don't hate on any single company, almost every company does things better than another and appeals to different people. The things that are most important to me are safety, reliability and practicality/versitility it should come as no surprise, therefore, that my favorite companies are Volvo, Subaru and Toyota.

I agree. I also like Volvo quite a lot, I just wish they had more interior options for colour and such, if that was the case there'd be an S60 T-5 sitting in the garage right now. Also the turning radius wasn't so great and crazy torque steer, I'd imagine in 2 years since I drove one they might of fixed these problems though.

James
01-13-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
haha actually ricecakes "beast" is an old pontiac 6000le...

hmmm so does anyone else want to enter the "behind jeffs parents house rally challenge of shitty cars"? and who wants to film?

If i only still had the Duster!...id own all of you! no contest
:rofl:

RiceCake
01-13-2003, 05:04 PM
Hahaha. Even the Pontiac 6000 is worthy of the JTR beast approval. Hahaha. Remember ramming the fence?

rage2
01-13-2003, 05:13 PM
:guns: Mercedes.
Why? Terrible design, impractical status symbol cars that bring thoughts to dragsters and luxurious livingrooms. Just feel as most mercedes cars are such a waste of engineering, effort and material.

Originally posted by theken
mikko may have crossed a line with kenny and rage:guns: :guns: they might just have to kill you:eek: :D

Nah, Mikko's right. I drive my Benz's as an impractical status symbol. I never race, and drive under the speed limit at all times so I can show off my bling bling to everyone that passes me :rofl:.

mwmhong
01-13-2003, 05:20 PM
I like Chrysler :D

Best of the domestics IMO, and the best looking domestic cars.
My family has had the best experiences with Chrysler in terms of reliability.

I like/respect all Japanese car manufacturers, they make good quality cars that never go out of style. I like Nissan the best, they make gorgeous cars with excellent performance.

I like Audi and Mercedes the best in terms of European.

Only car manufacturer I don't like is FORD. :guns:

'Quality is job 1' :bullshit:

Hakkola
01-13-2003, 05:31 PM
I spoke too soon, car's in the shop, neither of the cooling fans are working.

LOL, who knows, maybe quality is job # 1 for Ford, doesn't mean quality is gonna be any good though. :rofl:

girlRACER
01-13-2003, 07:05 PM
In terms of luxury car brands my favorite is Mercedes. Always has been, always will be. However, I agree that the build quality has gone downhill and that they don't make 'em like they used to. I think their attention has been turned to selling as much cars as possible with advanced technological features while maintaining relatively the same and affordable prices rather than building a quality car.

For example, my mom had an '81 Mercedes 500SEL and she drove it for 12 years. Then we had an '97 Mercedes C220 and we never had any problems with it or had to take it into the shop. But her '01 Mercedes C240 broke down 3 times within 3 months. She has taken it in so many times to fix and the materials in that car are so cheap. They've even replaced those nice leather looking vinyl seats with cheap fabrics that are found in economy cars.

Mikko
01-13-2003, 08:48 PM
Oh pfft, I didn't mean to put it like that. I do think the styling gets in the way of utility, and that they are too good at the one thing I care least about - luxury/comfort things. And you probably have the least comfortable car in their more expensive lineup, or?

Ben
01-13-2003, 09:02 PM
Oh pfft, I didn't mean to put it like that. I do think the styling gets in the way of utility, and that they are too good at the one thing I care least about - luxury/comfort things. And you probably have the least comfortable car in their more expensive lineup, or?

Explain comfortable Mikko.

I absolutely love the cockpit in the SLK32, controls are perfectly placed, the seats kick ass, and a stock soundsystem that rivles most aftermarket!

Mikko
01-13-2003, 09:46 PM
Comfortable is too much sound deadening materials, double layered glass, air suspension, power seats, side mirrors, trunk(!!), recirculating-ball steering (from what I hear, it's preferred because it gives less kick/feedback from the road, thus more comfortable), built in massagers, TV's, bla bla.

Ergonomics (as in how accessible it is) is awesome though. The SLK 32AMG is not exacly the 'average' Mercedes however.

FN49
01-13-2003, 11:27 PM
Most favorite - Ford. My family has had good luck with them. My father bought a new Ford car back in 1970 which I now own. He bought a 79 F150 Lariat (6 months old) which my brother now owns. In 78 he bought a new F100 for my grandfather which was his only vehicle until he died 2 years ago. My dad also owned a 79 t-bird for 20 years. All of these vehicles are still running strong with no major repairs having been done to any of them. None of these vehicles have EVER left us stranded except for the time when the 70 Ford blew a heater hose. I have owned my 85 F150 for 13 years now and although it has been relegated to "beater" status I would not hesitate to take it across the country.

missblondie
01-13-2003, 11:46 PM
Honda, Mercedes, BMW- GOOD

Ford- BAD

5.9 R/T
01-14-2003, 12:09 AM
Nissan/Infinity Owns.