PDA

View Full Version : Job when 14?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Projek01
05-15-2005, 07:43 PM
hi, am currently 14 and dont turn 15 for 2 months. I was wondering if any one would hire me at this age? I have also volunteered at the mothers day run this year. I really need money for a new computer. Please PM me with recomendations if you have any
Thanks

Wildcat
05-15-2005, 07:48 PM
theres lots of employee restrictions for anyone under the age of 16. chances are no one will bother hiring you unless you have a foot in the door somewhere...

lude_grl
05-15-2005, 07:51 PM
try and&w thats where i worked when i was 15

Carfanman
05-15-2005, 08:03 PM
I dont know about you but where I live (USA) 14 is when you can get a workers permit. You cant do anything that can be considered dangerous or involved driving (although in certain southern states, you can drive a tractor on the road as young as 9 so long as you are doing it for work), but you can work just about anywhere else.

However that doesn't mean you will get hired if there are older people (16-18 generally), it just means you can be legally hired. And in calgary it might not even be that, I dont know, check out you governments labor department website.

Your best bet is probably like a movie theater or something, or you can work with your hobbies. For example, if you like cars, ask a mechanic if he'll teach more about the trade in exchange for your helping him. You may even get payed.
Your probably more likely to find that kind of job in a small auto shop, owned by one guy, rather than a chain, with lots of people, where your less likely to find someone willing to take you under their wing, and would rather have older and more knowledgable workers.

Ask around at a bunch of small places like that, sooner or later someone will probably say yes, although it may not be the first place you ask.

habsfan
05-15-2005, 08:06 PM
as said above unless you have someone you know who can get you a job, you may be out of luck. i started work when i was 14, but my sister got me my job.

AllGoNoShow
05-15-2005, 08:07 PM
Its not so much the government around here, its the companys.

Althought there are tons of people hiring alot of stores insurance policys and other policys forbid the hriing of people under 16, for legal purposes.

Try Calaway park, I worked there when I was 15, not the best pay, not the best hours, harder to get too, but its better then nothing.

Davetronz
05-15-2005, 08:09 PM
Yea as someone who has done a fair chunk of hiring it is always hard to work around those under 16 (sometimes even 18)...

Back when I was 14 I worked at a grocery store carrying out groceries. My aunt also worked there and I basically got shifts with her until I turned 15.

I also did maintenance work at local hockey rinks at the age of 13-14. They usually dont restrict age and while the pay is usually $6.00/hr you get a good idea what manual labor is like.

Its good to see that you are willing to get a job at a younger age and that you aren't mooching off your parents.

Also consider stuff like lawn mowing for neighbours, as well as yard clean up and summer house sitting.

Wildcat
05-15-2005, 08:10 PM
ya ive been working since i was 13 myself, but that was before that kid fell off a building at a construction site in edmonton.

Carfanman
05-15-2005, 08:11 PM
What does that have to do with it, did you work at a construction site?

Davetronz
05-15-2005, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Carfanman
What does that have to do with it, did you work at a construction site?
After minors injure themselves at a job sight, places like Workers Compensation Board do investigations and attempt to get legislation passed to ensure that the same thing doesnt happen again.

Kobe
05-15-2005, 08:19 PM
I worked at Famous players when i was 14

Try it..

But its $5.90 an hour, but you also get free movies for you and 1 guest...

FiveFreshFish
05-15-2005, 08:21 PM
I bussed tables the week after I turned 14. Easy job that gave me tip money each working night. Getting home after work was a pain in the ass because transit didn't run when I finished.

Carfanman
05-15-2005, 08:34 PM
Personally, I'm happy making five bucks a week walking a dog once a week.

Its not geat money, but it pays for the movies and pizza and that kind of stuff, I like dogs, It's nice walking around the neighborhood for a while, and actually I'm making more than minimum wage, because I'm making 5 dollars for a half hour of work, wheras minimum wage is liike 7.50 or something for an hours work.

I'm also combining that money with gift money and with that money I'm going to buy a corporation (in my parents name but with my work) and start an online business. Hopfully within a few years I'll be making a nicesized steady income. Its also a great way to learn the ropes of starting a business, so one day I can start more businesses that will become successfull faster than if it was my first because I have experience.

I think this is alot more worthwhile than flipping burgers.

EDIT: Just to clarify. I didn't write this post to show off or turn the subject around to me. I wrote it to show you that you have other option besides for doing work that you dont like for low pay. Of course, you can do both.

habsfan
05-15-2005, 08:53 PM
Personally, I'm happy making five bucks a week walking a dog once a week.....I'm also combining that money with gift money and with that money I'm going to buy a corporation (in my parents name but with my work) and start an online business.

does anyone else think he's dreaming? shit that must be alot of "gift money" :dunno:

stealth
05-15-2005, 11:04 PM
i started workin at 14 doing labour. so yes you can get a job at 14.

ex1z7
05-15-2005, 11:24 PM
Nobody would hire me till I turned 17.. You should try any place any family members work at that could get you a job doing the work nobody else cares to do, like clean up / file papers etc..

Or get some photoshop skills and learn web design - theres a few bills a week if you stay busy in design stuff.. Just don't tell clients your age :P

AllGoNoShow
05-15-2005, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by ex1z7
Or get some photoshop skills and learn web design - theres a few bills a week if you stay busy in design stuff.. Just don't tell clients your age :P

Knew a few kids who did that, even younger then 14, worked well for them.

Dope Dealer
05-15-2005, 11:30 PM
I got my first job when I was just 13... But I got lucky :D

Mowing the lawn or something would probably be the best bet...

AllGoNoShow
05-15-2005, 11:31 PM
Personally, I'm happy making five bucks a week walking a dog once a week.

Its not geat money, but it pays for the movies and pizza and that kind of stuff, I like dogs, It's nice walking around the neighborhood for a while, and actually I'm making more than minimum wage, because I'm making 5 dollars for a half hour of work, wheras minimum wage is liike 7.50 or something for an hours work.

I'm also combining that money with gift money and with that money I'm going to buy a corporation (in my parents name but with my work) and start an online business. Hopfully within a few years I'll be making a nicesized steady income. Its also a great way to learn the ropes of starting a business, so one day I can start more businesses that will become successfull faster than if it was my first because I have experience.

I think this is alot more worthwhile than flipping burgers.

EDIT: Just to clarify. I didn't write this post to show off or turn the subject around to me. I wrote it to show you that you have other option besides for doing work that you dont like for low pay. Of course, you can do both.

Yah ok, so lets say you make $75 in Gift money, once on your birthday, once at christmas, maybe $20 at Easter, and lets throw in an extra $20 for other times. Thats around $190-200 a year. Now walk a dog once a week for $5, thats $20 a month, $240 a year.

200+240 = 440 a year, in gift/dog money.

Corporation = 1.3 million dollars for example, many prices but it seems to be a few numbers I've heard lately on ROBTV.

You will have to have gift money and walk a dog once a week for... 2954 Years, thats just so you can buy the corporation, nevermind turn profit on it.

Ok Yoda, stick with your plan, I think the rest of us will continue working at jobs and helping other kids find jobs and stay in school and make more then you will make in 3000 years, in a around 20 if you get it all right. Enjoy dropout boy.

3G
05-15-2005, 11:45 PM
I used to sell chcolate bars door to door and roses at beer stores when i was ur age

Foreign1
05-15-2005, 11:49 PM
i was a carny at the stampede and mad like.. 500$ in 3 days... best job ever!!!!

i then went and bought a skateboard, went on the reverse bungie 3 or 4 times and ate all the hotdogs and milkshakes i could.

AllGoNoShow
05-15-2005, 11:50 PM
lol good old stampede.

That is one way to make quick quick cash, in good amounts too.

10 day event, some people i know made around a grand last year, not to bad for 7 days of actual work out of the 10. Meet people too, good reference for later jobs.

abyss
05-16-2005, 08:03 AM
I worked at Canadian Tire when I was 15, it's not so much about legislation as it is about the company's insurance policy. The only reason CT couldn't hire 14 year olds was becuase they couldn't be covered under company insurance. Best job I had was an extra for a movie, I was 15 and got paid $120.00 for sitting around eating and talking for 12 hours. They kept us there all day waiting for our scene and then decided they couldn't shoot the scene that day. I think in total I made around $400 for 4 days of work. (work=standing around and running down the street)

Carfanman
05-16-2005, 09:21 AM
What are you guys talking about?

A corporation only cost like $200!!

http://www.amerilawyer.com/?source=google_corp

1.3 million?
Maybe if I wanted to buy an existing corporation that already makes tons of money, but just starting a new one isnt that expensive.

kiwi
05-16-2005, 09:27 AM

How much does it cost to buy a corporation?

How many dogs would you have to walk to achieve that goal?

Carfanman
05-16-2005, 09:35 AM
Look at the link in my post right above you to see how much it costs.

And now that I think about it, my gift money alone can cover the cost.

AllGoNoShow
05-16-2005, 09:46 AM
Dude your an idiot.

That is to buy the title of Corp. and the business name and the paper work.

You still have to buy the building, the product/service, hire/pay people or yourself to do the work, have the knowledge of what your doing (school), pay for land fees, other utilities such as power/gas.

Congraulations, you have now bought the name of your company with your gift money, now what you plan on doing with it?

No one is going to buy you out for a few hundred thousand if you don't even have a business and your 15.

Carfanman
05-16-2005, 09:48 AM
What umm... an internet business doesnt need a building. Anyway, I'm not getting into what I'm going to do, I've disscussed that else where and besides for a few things I need to work out, it should work. I'm not the only one doing it either, many people are doing it and making money.

Xtrema
05-16-2005, 11:44 AM
^ Penis enlargment pills?

:D

jaysas_63
05-16-2005, 11:45 AM
a lot of my bros friends did work when they were around 14....they worked fast food, movie theaters, and calaway park.......

pixil9
05-16-2005, 11:51 AM
lol anyone who thinks working 1/2 an hour a week for $5 is good money and hard work is not going to make it very far in this world. Try working 12 hour days for a month straight.

JeremyD
05-16-2005, 11:57 AM
Generally Food/Retail is likely where you will find work.

Check the newspapers out as well. They used to hire teens for door to door canvassing. I wouldn't say it was good money or great work but...

Mr. Burns
05-16-2005, 12:04 PM
I worked in a meat packing plant when I turned 14 makin' $8/hr. I worked there summers/weekends for 3 years until i graduated HS.

codo
05-16-2005, 12:33 PM
I'm not sure if you have to be sixteen to work at a mill like canfor or something but I got a job at canfor on clean-up at 16, friday night graveyard shift, 22$ an hour the work is hard but the money is fucking awesome. I don't plan on working there my whole life but with a wage like that i could though. The only thing you have to watch out for there is that this kind of job can be a trap, like for example you could be thinking woo this money is awesome right then you're like well i need a nice truck so you go buy a nice new fancy truck and you'll be in debt guranteed, then you get a girlfriend, then somewhere along the lines you have an 'accident' then you are end up stuck doing the same job of cleaning up saw dust and haveing prick for foremans on a dead end job and thinking every day that you go into work that you hate your life. I mean this is an excellent job to support school or something and if you do like a job like this then more power to you, I'm not saying it's a horrible job if you actually like what you're doing then id say stick with it; but i definately can't see myself working there for 20 more years or so. If you do get a job like this i'll give you the advice my father gave me, "don't put your hands anywhere you wouldn't put your dick."

Carfanman
05-16-2005, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by pixil9
lol anyone who thinks working 1/2 an hour a week for $5 is good money and hard work is not going to make it very far in this world. Try working 12 hour days for a month straight.

Its ok money when all I need it for is the movies and stuff like that. Its not just for the money, I also enjoy doing It.

JiggaMan
05-16-2005, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
Dude your an idiot.

That is to buy the title of Corp. and the business name and the paper work.

You still have to buy the building, the product/service, hire/pay people or yourself to do the work, have the knowledge of what your doing (school), pay for land fees, other utilities such as power/gas.

Congraulations, you have now bought the name of your company with your gift money, now what you plan on doing with it?

No one is going to buy you out for a few hundred thousand if you don't even have a business and your 15.

That was kind of uncalled for....

I opened a Ltd. and LLC when I was 15 for my online business (web design). I believe the total cost for both was something like $400. Just because you are a registered company does not mean you need knowledge (school), land fees, or anything like that...

d-UNiT
05-16-2005, 03:06 PM
mcs will hire you and i heard its in the range of 7 bucks an hour youll get a computer in no time yung wun

rip
05-16-2005, 03:29 PM
Carfanman, all I can say to you is that you are an idiot.

You do give a laugh every time I read a thread that you post in.

Keep it up buddy, fuck school, and keep on walkin the dog buddy.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Carfanman
05-16-2005, 06:25 PM
Great post ass.

I do cuz I dont need alot of money, Its simple and quick, and I dont spend more than 20 dollars a month usually anyway.

If you think it sucks, good for fuking you.

Go back to sucking your moms cock dude.

AllGoNoShow
05-16-2005, 06:36 PM
I do cuz I don't need alot of money....

Wait a minute, I thought you were using that money for your Corp. not for movies, so basically you aren't making 440 a year, more like $300 if you keep spending the dog money.

AllGoNoShow
05-16-2005, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by JiggaMan

That was kind of uncalled for....

I opened a Ltd. and LLC when I was 15 for my online business (web design). I believe the total cost for both was something like $400. Just because you are a registered company does not mean you need knowledge (school), land fees, or anything like that...

Congraulations on that... I know people who have done that aswell.

Does not mean you need knowledge? HAH, biggest bullshit I've heard.

1. No Knowledge, you sit on your ass
2. No Knowledge, no one will work with you if you dunno wtf you are doing
3. No knowledge = no customers = no money = waste of your money/time
4. Land fees, eventually your parents are going to tell you either to f*** off or to pay up if you live out of their basement till your a millionare.... which is going to be awhile for carfanman
5. Explain anything like that more so I can shut you down some more....

EDIT: Forgot to mention, No knowledge = You don't know how to do web design in your case, which means you dunno wtf your doing, which won't bring you people, knowledge = power = wealth, Webdesign is knowledge, so even YOU had knowledge.

Back on topic for abit, what school do you goto? You could talk to your guidance teacher about working and see if they have any links for you.

Carfanman
05-16-2005, 06:55 PM
No , i spend some of that when I'm hanging out with my friends, and I put some aside for a Corp.
I have $300 in total, and about 40 or so of that is dog walking money that I'm putting aside and not spending on my pointless crap. Some months I put all the money I make aside, sometimes none, and sometimes in between. It all works out though, I have enought $$ for a corporation, and I have enough money to have fun use on pointless enjoyable crap.

EDIT: that no is to your previous post

Carfanman
05-16-2005, 06:58 PM
I have knowledge, just not school. I do alot of reading about how to start a business, and I've learned alot this past year. It's thanks to those book that I have this idea, because I've learned to think differently.

AllGoNoShow
05-16-2005, 07:18 PM
Ok, so you know how to start a business, been reading up on it, good.

You know how much its going to cost to get your name incorporated, good.

you've got money put aside for getting the name incorporated good.

Now what?

You can just buy the name and start making money, you have to do something.

To sell on EBay you need a Credit Card, have to be 18 for that
Not to mention you have to buy/make things to sell on Ebay, which means you either need knowledge (if making) or connections to cheap wholesale stuff for resale (if turning the product around)

Most companys will look at you like a joke, no offense, a 15-16 year old kids walks into their office looking to sell thier product online for them....

Not to mention you still need money to buy the inital product, and most bulk orders are more then $5 for walking the dog.

Then you need a place to store all this crap before you sell it, you then need to figure out and line up shipping at the most cost effective way and quickist to the consumer so they come back to you, which means you will want FedEx or UPS door to door service, which means you need to be 18 and have money.

Carfanman
05-16-2005, 07:55 PM
I realize all that, so let me quickly explain what I'm going to be doing.

My parents are going to buy the corporation with money that I will give them.

They will then open up a business checking account in the name of the corporation.

In the name of the corporation they will also get me access the the wholesale products.

I plan to be working with expensive electronics. (TVs, Home theater systems, ect.)

Now lets say they have a nice HTS (home theater system) for $6000 that usually retails for $7000.
I dont yet buy it, but since I can order it whenever I want, I put it on ebay for $6500 dollars. This way, I'm making $500 and the buyer is saving $500.
Now the buyer buys it, and I have $6500 in the bank.
I give $6000 if that to the wholesalers and have the HTS shipped strait to the buyer. I never see it, so I dont need a place to store it.
Now I have $500 profit. I will have to pay some taxes, so I need a state tax ID. My parents will get that with the corporation.
Basically I'm doing the work, but my parents are letting me do it in their name.

I realize I owe my parents alot, not many parents would offer to do this.

At first I probably wont make many orders, but I know there is a big market of people who like top of the line systems, as well as a big market of people who shop on ebay. After doing this for a while, through trial and error, as well as research, I will hope fully tap into more and more of the market. Within a couple of years, it would be nice and quite possible to be making to be making a couple of thousand dollars a week. Thats only four systems a week, shouldnt be too hard. Who knows, maybe in 5 years it will be more.

I am pretty sure there are some wholesalers who will to individual orders, I am just having trouble finding them. Thats what I'm working one now. I know the majority of them dont, but I think there are a couple that do.
Once I find them, I will be ready to start.

I appreciate your help, thank you.

AllGoNoShow
05-16-2005, 08:01 PM
The point of wholesalers is to sell things in wholesale, not individually, which would explain your issue of buying them individually.

As soon as you find someone that is going to sell them seperate, they have bought it wholesale and are doing the same thing to you that you are going to do to others, which means you pay more then what he is paying, aka your deafting the purpose.

Carfanman
05-16-2005, 08:09 PM
Thats what I thought originally, but look here (http://directbuy.com/)

AllGoNoShow
05-16-2005, 08:23 PM
Store cost, whats your point?

If you've found it then why aren't you using it.....

codo
05-16-2005, 09:28 PM
I'm actually fairly impressed that a 15 year old has thought that much about it but anyways lay off the poor guy he'll figure something out im sure. I mean it's his choice leave it at that.

I'm just noit sure why carfanman keeps on bringing up his idea he always gets flamed for it. Honestly get the ball rolling though you gotta start that shit off if you wanna make any money.

oh and good luck you'll need it!!

AllGoNoShow
05-16-2005, 09:31 PM
He has thought into it more then others, but he doesn't realize the costs involved and how long/how much work it iwll take, its not like awalking a dog for half an hour.

69cougar
05-16-2005, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by rip
Carfanman, all I can say to you is that you are an idiot.

You do give a laugh every time I read a thread that you post in.

Keep it up buddy, fuck school, and keep on walkin the dog buddy.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:werd: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :werd:

Wildcat
05-16-2005, 10:25 PM
thanks again for fucking up a perfectly good thread carfanman.

Lanks
05-16-2005, 10:52 PM
Back on topic...

You should try working at tim hortons man... I started there when I was 14 and it was a good first job. mmmm free donuts...

AllGoNoShow
05-16-2005, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Lanks
Back on topic...

You should try working at tim hortons man... I started there when I was 14 and it was a good first job. mmmm free donuts...
Amen to that, then you can bring free donuts to the Beyodn meets and make freinds!!!

JiggaMan
05-17-2005, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow

Congraulations on that... I know people who have done that aswell.

Does not mean you need knowledge? HAH, biggest bullshit I've heard.

1. No Knowledge, you sit on your ass
2. No Knowledge, no one will work with you if you dunno wtf you are doing
3. No knowledge = no customers = no money = waste of your money/time
4. Land fees, eventually your parents are going to tell you either to f*** off or to pay up if you live out of their basement till your a millionare.... which is going to be awhile for carfanman
5. Explain anything like that more so I can shut you down some more....

EDIT: Forgot to mention, No knowledge = You don't know how to do web design in your case, which means you dunno wtf your doing, which won't bring you people, knowledge = power = wealth, Webdesign is knowledge, so even YOU had knowledge.

Back on topic for abit, what school do you goto? You could talk to your guidance teacher about working and see if they have any links for you.

Shut me down some more?
:rofl: :rofl:
If you took the time to actually read my post instead of pounding your "=" key, you would realize i said knowledge (school)... meaning you don't need to goto school to open up a corporation or anything like that.

And as for land fees.. no, not in most cases do parents tell you to pay up. Yes it happens, but I wouldnt say most cases. I know my parents would rather let me stay at home and save up to move out.. instead of paying rent and having to wait even longer to move out.

Nice try pal :-) Maybe next time? pwnt! :guns: :bigpimp: :thumbsup:

Carfanman
05-17-2005, 11:32 AM
Just to set the record strait:

I did not try to hijack this thread. I simply made my original post to show him that he can do something other than get a minimum wage job flipping burgers or working at a theater. I showed him an example of something he can do at his age that most people dont.

I even made an edit to make sure everyone understood that, yet people kept bringing it up anyway.

As for why I havent used DirectBuy yet. First of all, I need my parents to do that for me, because I'm a minor, and they have been very busy lately. I can respect the fact that I'm 14 and dont need to do this right now, but they are the ones bringing home the bread that keeps me off the street, so if they are currently to busy, then I can wait till they arent. That being said, my dad told me that tomorrow morning he'll start working with me on this.
The other reason I havent used DirectBuy, is that the first time I looked for them, I used google, and went to a site that I thought was them, and wasn't selling what I wanted. Then last night when I wanted to show you, I went to DirectBuy.com rather than using google. I still dont know if they're right, because they say they sell electronics, but I dont know if they are the kind of electronics I want (expensive ones that I can make aprox. $500 on). So I need to check them out more and see what they have. I may use them for other expensive products, like nice furniture.

I realize it will take work, and I'm prepared to work for it. I dont expect to make much right away. However, I'm working to work hard at this, because I believe it will be worth it, but I'm not going to work hard at some job I dont like that I dont think is going to get me anywhere. If I dont need to, theres no reason to.

AllGoNoShow
05-17-2005, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by JiggaMan

Shut me down some more?
:rofl: :rofl:
If you took the time to actually read my post instead of pounding your "=" key, you would realize i said knowledge (school)... meaning you don't need to goto school to open up a corporation or anything like that.

And as for land fees.. no, not in most cases do parents tell you to pay up. Yes it happens, but I wouldnt say most cases. I know my parents would rather let me stay at home and save up to move out.. instead of paying rent and having to wait even longer to move out.

Nice try pal :-) Maybe next time? pwnt! :guns: :bigpimp: :thumbsup:

How old are you now? I'm just going to say 15-16 because you said you started your own LLC when you were 14, which in that case, your still in high school.

Now as soon as your out of High School and not going to post secondary because you are already well into your own company and making money, which would be good if you are, but your still in your parents house.

I estimate you give them anywhere from 3 months to a year, before they get pissed off you do shit all around the house, don't pay the bills your using, don't help pay the mortgage that your using, don't pay for food or anything, and you are making money still. I know I've got a year and a few weeks before I'm even gradding for High School and they've been telling me for 2 years, no post secondary you pay rent or leave, post secondary you dont have to pay rent.

If I was sitting there rolling in $1000-$6000 bonuses for Web Design like my buddies used to be making, after high school, and I wasn't paying them, they would definatly make somthing of it.

AllGoNoShow
05-17-2005, 11:43 AM
Just to set the record strait:

I did not try to hijack this thread. I simply made my original post to show him that he can do something other than get a minimum wage job flipping burgers or working at a theater. I showed him an example of something he can do at his age that most people dont.

I even made an edit to make sure everyone understood that, yet people kept bringing it up anyway.

As for why I havent used DirectBuy yet. First of all, I need my parents to do that for me, because I'm a minor, and they have been very busy lately. I can respect the fact that I'm 14 and dont need to do this right now, but they are the ones bringing home the bread that keeps me off the street, so if they are currently to busy, then I can wait till they arent. That being said, my dad told me that tomorrow morning he'll start working with me on this.
The other reason I havent used DirectBuy, is that the first time I looked for them, I used google, and went to a site that I thought was them, and wasn't selling what I wanted. Then last night when I wanted to show you, I went to DirectBuy.com rather than using google. I still dont know if they're right, because they say they sell electronics, but I dont know if they are the kind of electronics I want (expensive ones that I can make aprox. $500 on). So I need to check them out more and see what they have. I may use them for other expensive products, like nice furniture.

I realize it will take work, and I'm prepared to work for it. I dont expect to make much right away. However, I'm working to work hard at this, because I believe it will be worth it, but I'm not going to work hard at some job I dont like that I dont think is going to get me anywhere. If I dont need to, theres no reason to.

Hope you know something about electronics aswell, more then just the basics. Its good your dad wants to sit down with you and figure some more stuff out, thats progress most definatly, why don't you sign up for that trial thing I saw flashing in the corner and see what they sell to you.

Carfanman
05-17-2005, 11:59 AM
I spend most of my time learning about electronics, reading tech stuff, ect.
Thanks for the trial tip, I must have missed that, I'll check it out.

AllGoNoShow
05-17-2005, 12:04 PM
I don't know if its trial or just more advertising but it was flashing and get anoyning, I forget now.

Carfanman
05-17-2005, 12:30 PM
I checked it. Its a visitors pass to one of their shows.

tapout
05-17-2005, 12:37 PM
Great post ass.

I do cuz I dont need alot of money, Its simple and quick, and I dont spend more than 20 dollars a month usually anyway.

If you think it sucks, good for fuking you.

Go back to sucking your moms cock dude. lol:D

AsianCaucasian
05-17-2005, 12:44 PM

I dont yet buy it, but since I can order it whenever I want, I put it on ebay for $6500 dollars. This way, I'm making $500 and the buyer is saving $500.
Now the buyer buys it, and I have $6500 in the bank.
I give $6000 if that to the wholesalers and have the HTS shipped strait to the buyer. I never see it, so I dont need a place to store it.

This is not ethical and it's even borderline legal. What if the wholesalers are out of stock on the item? You're screwed, the buyer is screwed too. You have to make sure the customer can get the product no matter what or else your ebay reputation will take a major hit. If you want to save you reputation, you might have to source for the particular tv and buy it and that may run up to be $$$.

abyss
05-17-2005, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by AsianCaucasian

This is not ethical and it's even borderline legal. What if the wholesalers are out of stock on the item? You're screwed, the buyer is screwed too. You have to make sure the customer can get the product no matter what or else your ebay reputation will take a major hit. If you want to save you reputation, you might have to source for the particular tv and buy it and that may run up to be $$$.

It's completely legal! as far as the unethical part, that's what a LOT businesses do out there, it's called being a middleman, sucks for the consumer, but everyone winds up happy anyways. wholesaler makes money->middleman makes money->customer pays cheaper than retail....it's all about cutting overhead that's all. He'll have to take warranty into account as well, ESPECIALLY with electronics, no one's going to waste $6500 on you if you can't guarantee anything Carfanman. Good on you for figuring it out so young though!

JiggaMan
05-17-2005, 12:54 PM
I'm 19 now, been out of HS for 2 years... soon to buy ma own house thanks to the breaks my parents gave me on rent. Had I been paying rent before, I would probably be nowhere near ready to slap down a DP on a house.

AsianCaucasian
05-17-2005, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by abyss

It's completely legal! as far as the unethical part, that's what a LOT businesses do out there, it's called being a middleman, sucks for the consumer, but everyone winds up happy anyways. wholesaler makes money->middleman makes money->customer pays cheaper than retail....it's all about cutting overhead that's all. He'll have to take warranty into account as well, ESPECIALLY with electronics, no one's going to waste $6500 on you if you can't guarantee anything Carfanman. Good on you for figuring it out so young though!

I'm saying its borderline legal/ethical because he DOESN'T have a special deal with the wholesalers or anything. He's just buying from the as a customer and selling to another customer. Companies like Dell etc. have contracts with manufacturers and wholesalers. I doubt a 15 year old kid has anything of the sort.

abyss
05-17-2005, 01:03 PM

I'm saying its borderline legal/ethical because he DOESN'T have a special deal with the wholesalers or anything. He's just buying from the as a customer and selling to another customer. Companies like Dell etc. have contracts with manufacturers and wholesalers. I doubt a 15 year old kid has anything of the sort.

It doesn't matter if he has a special deal or not. He's making it easier for his customer and since he doesn't have as much overhead as companies like Dell, he doesn't need to mark up his products as much. Then when he shows wholesalers he can turn over enough business to warrant a discount he'll be laughing, cause he'll still have little or no overhead and be making more....or if he's a nice guy, he could pass those savings on to his customers to generate more business.

AsianCaucasian
05-17-2005, 01:07 PM

It doesn't matter if he has a special deal or not. He's making it easier for his customer and since he doesn't have as much overhead as companies like Dell, he doesn't need to mark up his products as much. Then when he shows wholesalers he can turn over enough business to warrant a discount he'll be laughing, cause he'll still have little or no overhead and be making more....or if he's a nice guy, he could pass those savings on to his customers to generate more business.

I would disagree. Any "business" that puts the customer at great risk is unethical. A $6500 tv is a major purchase by my standards and probably by many people's standards. Would you be willing to entrust $6500 to a 15 year old that has no guarantee of delivering you a product? I sure as hell wouldn't.

abyss
05-17-2005, 01:11 PM

I would disagree. Any "business" that puts the customer at great risk is unethical. A $6500 tv is a major purchase by my standards and probably by many people's standards. Would you be willing to entrust $6500 to a 15 year old that has no guarantee of delivering you a product? I sure as hell wouldn't.

Buyer beware....Consumers shouldn't have to be spoon fed when it comes to a $6500 purchase. If Carfanman can ACTUALLY find people willing to buy electronics for a slight discount, off e-bay, where you pay BEFORE you get the product...then I'd say he's found a customer base who are just as uneducated as he is. I don't imagine it will last for long if it even gets started, but he has the schematics right that's for sure.

Deetz
05-17-2005, 01:18 PM
I started working at the age of 9 delivering flyers. Then a year later went to news papers making $600 a month back in 1985, ha ha.
At 14 i was still doing papers, but picked up a 2nd job at Bonanza restaurant for $5.50 an hour. It's not that hard to find work at that age.

AsianCaucasian
05-17-2005, 01:28 PM

Buyer beware....Consumers shouldn't have to be spoon fed when it comes to a $6500 purchase. If Carfanman can ACTUALLY find people willing to buy electronics for a slight discount, off e-bay, where you pay BEFORE you get the product...then I'd say he's found a customer base who are just as uneducated as he is. I don't imagine it will last for long if it even gets started, but he has the schematics right that's for sure.

Yeah, I'll agree with you there. His get rich quick schemes are getting somewhat better and it does look like he put in the time to think up a reasonable business plan but still... it has major flaws and like you said, I doubt it will last long.

Z_Fan
05-17-2005, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Projek01
hi, am currently 14 and dont turn 15 for 2 months. I was wondering if any one would hire me at this age? I have also volunteered at the mothers day run this year. I really need money for a new computer. Please PM me with recomendations if you have any
Thanks

Just thought I'd quote this so everyone could be reminded about what this real topic of this thread is supposed to be. Since basically the thread turned into BS. :dunno:

Might as well leave Carfanman alone IMO. He's not listening. He'll sink or swim in due time and either way he at least has made attempts at concocting lucrative ideas - whether he can implement them is not really important to us...just to him.

I have only one suggestion for Carfanman. Why not walk 5 dogs each time you go. Your time might double from half an hour to a full hour, but your gross income will be five times the current gross. Just an idea. When you're old you can write your authobiography "The World's First Trillionaire" and credit Z_Fan with your early entrance into capitalism by providing the insight to more than quadruple your income. LOL.

ANYHOW...enough of Carfanman.

Project01 -> Suggestions it looks like you've got...

---- My favs ----
Mowing lawns/yard work/shovelling snow
Computer based enterprise (Graphic Arts/Web Design)
Delivering flyers and/or newspapers

---- Good alternatives ----
Famous players/Cineplex Odeon/Other movie chains
Fast Food Restaurants (McDonalds, A&W, Wendy's, Hortons, Etc.)
Retail outlets
Meat packing plants

The reason the top 3 are my favs is that it gives you a certain degree of control or consistency over your hours of work. The mowing lawns, etc is good because you can do it on the days when the weather is nice - you require very little initial capital expenditure (probably can utilize your parents existing equipment) - and you can do as much or as little as you like. You will have to do your own marketing. This might be the most work in order to make a buck - but it does determine whether or not you are an entrepreneur or not.

I really like the computer based ideas. However, depending on what you are doing the capital expenditures to start could be too high for what you can currently afford. Based on the fact that your wanting the money for a computer, I'd say that indicates this is not feasible for you. Also an excellent entrepreneur choice for small business/individually operated. I would also say this requires the most skill / knowledge of the ideas suggested.

The flyers/newspapers is also good because it gives you consistent work - and you know when it has to happen. (Constant work hours). The only reason I dislike this is simply because you are not your own boss. You will be working for another company - however - at your age I would suggest that is of little relevance. So this is a great way to earn some steady income with very defined hours of work.

All the other jobs are pretty much standardized jobs available to people in your age group. I don't believe that you would have a problem getting a job in any of these areas if you are aggressive in pursuing employment. Providing you dress and look respectable (and aren't uncouth when you speak to people) you'll have no problem getting a job!

Good luck.

Carfanman
05-17-2005, 02:01 PM
Fist of all, a get rich quick scheme is something you do that you expect to make tons of money with instantly. This is just starting a business. I dont expect to make tons of money right away, because like some said there are flaws. I need to find the flaws and work on them. I dont expect instant results. One book I read said that most businesses fail the first 3 or 4 times before they take off. Since I wont have any monthly expenses, I dont think its possible for me to go out of business, but I do expect to mess up a bunch of times before I make it. I'm just lucky that I'm young and living with my parents, so I can afford to put alot of time into this.

As for the flaws:
As far as I know, all transactions on ebay are pay first recieve second, so I dont need to look specifically for people willing to do that.
There is a big market for HTS and a big Ebay market, so I know I have customers, I just need to work at my business until I draw them to me.
I dont see what my age has to do with anything, seeing as it will all be done in my parents name, and I'll be using the computer. If someone were to ask me my age, I'd have to tell them, but who asks that?
You have a point about needing to make sure I can get the product, so maybe I'll reserve it.
As for borderline legal, plenty of people buy and resell stuff on ebay, I'm not hurting any one, and I'm giving the customer a better deal than if they were to buy it at average retail value.
I didn't think about warranty, What about the manufacturers warranty?

Carfanman
05-17-2005, 02:04 PM
Why doesn't he get involved in something hes interested in? Like I mentioned in my first post, he can get a friendly car mechanic to take him under his wing. This way, not only is he making money now, but he can move up in the future. Paper routes and lawn mowing may make some decent money, but once he's too old for that amount of money, he'll have to start from scratch in some other career, whereas if he works for a mechanic, once he learns the ropes of the car business, he can move up since he has experience.

JiggaMan
05-17-2005, 02:31 PM
Good point... I would suggest going somewhere where there is the opportunity of advancement. That being said, it might mean he is an intern working for just experience (no money). That doesnt help his short term goal of a computer at all, but definately would be a good start if he was looking for a career.

abyss
05-17-2005, 03:05 PM

I didn't think about warranty, What about the manufacturers warranty?

You have to make sure that the manufacturers will cover it if you resell it. Things like computers are very heavily tracked by their serial numbers for warranty purposes (they're only allowed to go through certain channels), I couldnt say if it is like that or not with high end electronics, I've never looked into it. Also, say the manufacturer WILL still honour warranty, you have to be able to generate a proof of purchase that they will accept an e-bay print off might not be good enough. ALSO, last but certainly not least, customers may be saving a few bucks through you, but if you're making them send their own products to Taiwan when they break down, don't expect too many repeat customers, or good word of mouth advertising.

Carfanman
05-17-2005, 06:29 PM
JiggaMan- at 14, working for experience that will pay off is WAY better than working for money. But I'm sure there are nice people who own a small, more personal business, who would pay him and teach him.

abyss- I would have then return it to me, and I would take care of returning it to the manufacturer, less hassle that way.

PGTze
05-17-2005, 06:32 PM
Carfanman get lit up in just about every thread he posts in:rofl:

Carfanman
05-17-2005, 06:39 PM
Maybe you have some sort of demented method of perception, but I see this as a discussion, rather than getting "lit up".
This thread actually helped. I hadn't thought at all about warranties.

AllGoNoShow
05-17-2005, 06:40 PM
Do we get a cut for helping you out sometime down the road? ;)

AllGoNoShow
05-17-2005, 06:40 PM
Do we get a cut for helping you out sometime down the road? ;)

Carfanman
05-17-2005, 07:09 PM
Tell you what, when my business finally takes off, I'll give Beyond a nice donation.

sexualbanana
05-17-2005, 07:39 PM
On the surface, Carfanman's plan does make sense.

However, because you're relying soley on the wholesaler to ship the package, you're really at the mercy of your supplier:

If they run out of product, they probably won't tell you until it's too late.
If they damage the product, you will probably be the one left holding the bag if they refuse to fix it.
If they are late shipping the product for any reason, you have no leverage or any power to get them to hurry up.

In your plan, you don't do anything except post the "sale" and recieve the money. There's a lot of bottlenecking and liabilities in that process, and that could spell trouble for you down the line.

The wholesaler probably won't ship until they get the money from you. You're not going to order the shipment until you get the money from the customer. The customer will want assurance that the product they purchase is as advertised, and is skeptic about internet purchases and would require some sort of guarantee that you're not going to rip them off.

You've put more thought into this than most people that I figure your age to be. So you should at least be commended for it, but I think you need to put a lot more thought into it before you can consider going through with it.

As for me, I spent a bit of high school buying cheap jewelery off EBay then selling them to people at school at HUGE markups. But I gave that up when I decided to stop ripping people off. I didn't actually start working until I was 17, but there are a lot of options out there. There's always places like McDonalds and IGA that hire young people.

abyss
05-18-2005, 08:41 AM
JiggaMan- at 14, working for experience that will pay off is WAY better than working for money. But I'm sure there are nice people who own a small, more personal business, who would pay him and teach him.

abyss- I would have then return it to me, and I would take care of returning it to the manufacturer, less hassle that way.

There's actually going to be more hassle for you that way. You will have to consider the cost that shipping and any non warranty repairs will cost you. If something was abused by the customer then you will have to be able to accurately identify what will or will not be covered under warranty. Plus you have to consider replacements and or waiting periods. Most people won't want to be without their stereo for a month. If you are going to offer replacements then you wil have more overhead costs than you originally thought. There's an awful lot to consider here Carfanman, none of it to be taken too lightly, I would suggest doing a home business plan so at least you know where you stand.

Carfanman
05-18-2005, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the tip.
Although the cost of what you said probably wont be more than the $500 prifit, your right, should right up a business plan. I glanced through a book at the library about how to right a business plan. It was kind of confusing though, I'll probably need to read it a few times before I fully understand it. Maybe I'll got to the library later today and get that book out.

AsianCaucasian
05-18-2005, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the tip.
Although the cost of what you said probably wont be more than the $500 prifit, your right, should right up a business plan. I glanced through a book at the library about how to right a business plan. It was kind of confusing though, I'll probably need to read it a few times before I fully understand it. Maybe I'll got to the library later today and get that book out.

Yeah, you should get to a business plan ASAP. Banks look at those before they give you loans to see if your plan is financially sound or not. The wholesalers will probably want to look at it too if you're going to try to get a contract with them. Stop by a branch of your local bank, they usually have pamphlets with a guide on how to build a succesful business plan.

AllGoNoShow
05-18-2005, 12:23 PM
what he said + its write, not right.

Carfanman
05-18-2005, 12:27 PM
I know its write, it was just a typo

abyss
05-18-2005, 12:33 PM
If you're only starting a little home business, I wouldn't suggest going to the bank to find info on business plans. Their info will be for larger companies and it will just be more confusing to you. That may also be the problem with your book, your best bet is to google home business plans and you can usually find something the will not have a bunch of useless info that you don't need to worry about unless you're planning on growing your business a whole bunch. The wholesalers may want to see it though, so having something, even if it's small and simple, is better than having nothing at all. If your parents haven't told you any of this though it makes me a little worried about their knowledge of home businesses as well, why would they put their name and reputation on the line if you haven't done your research properly?You may want to talk to someone who has a small business to see what kind of unknowns you should expect.

AsianCaucasian
05-18-2005, 12:36 PM
If you're only starting a little home business, I wouldn't suggest going to the bank to find info on business plans. Their info will be for larger companies and it will just be more confusing to you.

Umm no. Both CIBC and RBC's pamphlet on business plans are for people starting their own home businesses and thinking of asking for a business loan. I have both of them sitting at home on my desk.

abyss
05-18-2005, 12:40 PM

Umm no. Both CIBC and RBC's pamphlet on business plans are for people starting their own home businesses and thinking of asking for a business loan. I have both of them sitting at home on my desk.

True, sorry, I was under the impression he wasn't going out for a loan due to the fact he is asking for prepaids. If you plan on getting a loan then OF COURSE go to the bank. There are two definitions of home business then, those that will require a loan to provide overhead and those that won't. If you are starting a business with little or no overhead, I don't know how well (or how willing) the bank will be to help you, seeinga s how you're not providing them any business.

AsianCaucasian
05-18-2005, 12:41 PM

True, sorry, I was under the impression he wasn't going out for a loan due to the fact he is asking for prepaids. If you plan on getting a loan then OF COURSE go to the bank. There are two definitions of home business then, those that will require a loan to provide overhead and those that won't. If you are starting a business with little or no overhead, I don't know how well (or how willing) the bank will be to help you, seeinga s how you're not providing them any business.

Yeah, i realize that he's not out looking for a loan but reading through the guide is pretty interesting. A lot of the content would probably help him out a lot and iron out the flaws.

Carfanman
05-18-2005, 12:42 PM
In years to come I wouldn't mind growing my business to its fullest potential. It would obviously start as a small business, but there's no reason not to plan for it to become as big as many well known online retailers. If I try to make it big, it may or may not work, but if I dont try, it definatly wont work.

abyss
05-18-2005, 12:51 PM
IMO, you should plan to have a business that is stable before you worry about it growing too much. Don't count your chickens.....

Carfanman
05-18-2005, 01:00 PM
I'm not going to focus on growing it immediatly, but I would like it to grow eventually.

/////AMG
05-18-2005, 01:01 PM
When you so start your online business, I think it would be best to sell over ebay locally first, then once you're comfortable and have done your trial and errors and all that, and got it all figured out, go nationally. You might not get as many customers buy you'll save yourself a lot of headache and hassle, IMO.

Carfanman
05-18-2005, 01:08 PM
Thats a good idea. Maybe I'll start seling smaller things also, just to get the hang of it. Still, things that I can make a nice profit from, but no $500, maybe $50 or $100 instead. Maybe I could sell things like $200 TVs instead of $6000 TVs.
I hadn't thought of that, thats actually a really good idea. Start small, with little risk, get my feet wet so to speak, and get used to it. Then slowly but surely start selling further away with more expensive products, until I'm making a decent amount. Then, when I'm 18 or so, I can be making enough monthly income to live on my own, which is what I plan on doing anyway. Then when I'm an adult, I can hire people and start doing more.

Singel
05-18-2005, 02:37 PM
Thats a good idea. Maybe I'll start seling smaller things also, just to get the hang of it. Still, things that I can make a nice profit from, but no $500, maybe $50 or $100 instead. Maybe I could sell things like $200 TVs instead of $6000 TVs.
I hadn't thought of that, thats actually a really good idea. Start small, with little risk, get my feet wet so to speak, and get used to it. Then slowly but surely start selling further away with more expensive products, until I'm making a decent amount. Then, when I'm 18 or so, I can be making enough monthly income to live on my own, which is what I plan on doing anyway. Then when I'm an adult, I can hire people and start doing more.

That's exactly what I was about to say, its better to work out the kinks on $300-500 dollar items than $6000. It is possible that you'll get scammed/screwed over somehow, and its better to figure those possibilities out first when the most you'll lose is a few hundred dollars. Nothing could be better than getting in debt over $5000 before you even have a drivers license

Carfanman
05-18-2005, 02:50 PM
While I am going to start smaller, I'm not worried about losing $5000. The great thing about a corporation is that if I do something and get sued for more money than the corporation has, it doesnt come out of my family's personal money. If I get sued for $5000 and I only have $200 in the corporation, I only have to pay $200.
That being said, I dont want to be in that situation and I want to make my customers happy, but Its nice to know that if I make a mistake or I have a dishonest customer, I wont lost my shirt.

AsianCaucasian
05-18-2005, 02:53 PM
While I am going to start smaller, I'm not worried about losing $5000. The great thing about a corporation is that if I do something and get sued for more money than the corporation has, it doesnt come out of my family's personal money. If I get sued for $5000 and I only have $200 in the corporation, I only have to pay $200.
That being said, I dont want to be in that situation and I want to make my customers happy, but Its nice to know that if I make a mistake or I have a dishonest customer, I wont lost my shirt.

Umm correct me if I'm wrong (which I doubt because I just learnt this in a course) but you have to liquidate your "corporation's" assets to pay off the debt. Most likely this will be the capital used in your company, ie: computer.

btw. corporations are doubly taxed.