PDA

View Full Version : Hey a few questions.

ecstasy_civic
05-16-2005, 12:29 AM
Ive never really been a toyota fan, but ive always liked MR2's.
Lately ive been looking at them and thinking about purchasing one. My question is, how hard is it to find one that doesnt need a ton of work.
If I was to get one, I would only do basic upgrades for now but nothing to crazy.
Ive only ridden in one once, it was near stock and I was REALLY impressed with the way they drive.

Can you guys give me some sort of idea of performance with basic upgrades, handling, and availability of parts.

They seem like great little cars with tons of potential.

Oh ya, how much room is there for storage, like a duffel bag or two??

thanks
scott

FiveFreshFish
05-16-2005, 12:52 AM
I owned an '89 s/c and it was a blast to drive even in stock form. Looking back, I would have done suspension and wheels to start with and then look at engine mods later. Unfortunately, it was stolen and chopped before I did anything except change the shitty sealed beams to Hella H4 headlights.

There are basically 3 significant places you can store stuff in an MR-2. Front trunk only has room for a small bag or backpack because the spare takes up most of it. The rear trunk is bigger and can fit something the size of small kid's hockey equipment bag or maybe two suitcases suitable for carry-on luggage on a flight. There is room for a thin briefcase or your dry cleaning behind each seat but that's where the T-tops go.

ecstasy_civic
05-16-2005, 12:56 AM
hmmm alright, I was just hoping there was enough room for me and a buddy to head to BC for a week.

They seem like great cars, just really pricey to fix:(

FiveFreshFish
05-16-2005, 01:15 AM
Two guys can do it. Can't do a week with your GF unless you only pack a toothbrush! :D

A long time ago (like mid-90s), I saw some first-gen MR-2s with skis attached to a rack that was mounted over the rear trunk and engine. Maybe there's a luggage rack available for this car.

ecstasy_civic
05-16-2005, 01:24 AM
hmm good to know, im just looking for something RWD and T tops/convertible with upgrades available.

thanks for the help:)

Zenshi
05-16-2005, 04:31 PM
I've owned 2 MK1's a NA and SC.
I personally dont think they are that bad on space, you'd be surprised what you can fit in a mr2!!

SC's are definately more fun, and the NA's well, they are awesome autox machines but fun factor isnt out there. (atleast for me... no torque :( ).

Before buying a MR2 I would consider trying both the NA or SC, to get a better idea between the two... both wonderful cars w/ their own little potential.

If your looking into MK2's.... Someone else would need to give you some insight, never had one before.

As for basic upgrades, heard they are like go karts w/ the right suspension. Avaiablity of parts isnt too bad either, I found my tokico illumina's and GC's w/o any trouble. Of course, if you looking for more "advance/hardcore" aftermarket parts, your gettin' into custom work.

Plus, MK1 Has HUGE potiental, just as much as the MK2... ^. ~ Im sure some of you know what I mean... MK1.5!!!

clem24
05-17-2005, 09:53 AM
I'd say if you're into auto'x, an MKI can't be beat. Weight is such liability, and the MKII has tons of it. You can definitely feel the weight of the car and the turbo lag on the track; it's just not very tossable. But it's also very tough to find good examples of MKI (ie. no rust, intact lip, etc...) and S/Cs are even harder to come by, and when people do let go of them, they can command some pretty astronomical prices!

And heck, storage in an MR2 isn't usually much of a problem. There IS a trunk in the back. I can easily stick a computer bag, golf bag, and probably a small suitcase like those ones with wheels that you can stick in the overhead compartments. But just remember the operating costs of the MR2 are higher than normal simply because you cannot drive it in the winter and thus need a beater...

And as for finding a car that doesn't need work: consider that you're buying a car that is now at least 13 years old (if you find a 1992) and maximum 20 years old for an 85. There is absolutely NO CAR that old that won't need work. Any and everything can break on it, even if it's a Toyota.

Lastly, you'll probably find way more engine parts for the AW11 since hte 4AGE is probably Toyota's most popular (and I will probably get flamed for this) but most potent 4 cyl. Some dude had an MKII that he wanted to run on the Salt Lake flats, and guess what he put in? Tore out the 3SGTE and put in a 4AGE and turbo'ed it. If anyone has that article...

clem..

ecstasy_civic
05-17-2005, 12:46 PM
Im actually not interested in the MK1's, sorry, I like the look and potential of the MK2.

Im contemplating something different after talking to a MR2 friend.:(

Ek9Max
05-17-2005, 08:26 PM
Dont' answer any more questions from Scott (ecstacy_civic). He's never gonna get one anyways!!!! :D

ecstasy_civic
05-18-2005, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Ek9Max
Dont' answer any more questions from Scott (ecstacy_civic). He's never gonna get one anyways!!!! :D

:rofl: Not after what you told me lol

Ek9Max
05-18-2005, 12:39 AM
Trust me man. I love mr2's. But seriosuly gotta have bankroll to drive em. Parts and labour are RETARDED!

ecstasy_civic
05-18-2005, 12:40 AM
Ya I dont want to have to have another bank account for repairs:poosie:

I think my Nissan is expensive enough:bullshit:

Ek9Max
05-18-2005, 11:11 PM
Ok scott, I know I told you the bad about this car before.....

After workign on it today I'm ready to burn this POS. I'll let you know how it feels when toyota get me in the ass for labour.

ecstasy_civic
05-19-2005, 11:20 AM
Ok, I dont feel so bad this time,:tongue:
Looks like I made the right decision:clap:

Let me know if you need a hand, im always available:D

jvillain
05-20-2005, 11:21 AM
Parts and labour are RETARDED!
:werd:

I'd say if you're into auto'x, an MKI can't be beat. Weight is such liability, and the MKII has tons of it. You can definitely feel the weight of the car and the turbo lag on the track; it's just not very tossable.

Thats a lot of smack to be talking. Well why don't we look at the results (http://www.5di.ca/2005E1UnOffRaw.pdf) from event 1 last weekend.

I see a second gen in fifth place, another in 7th place, there is another in 20th. I don't see the first gen 1 until 30th place. 2 of the guys running second gens beat the 911 Carrera. :D

All kidding aside both cars are formadable solo machines. The turbo is on the heavy side compared to some of the very modern cars but the layout is still hard to beat. A bigger problem is just trying to cram more tire under it. Ny second gen has NO turbo lag.

BTW it was like an MR2 meeting up there last weekend. We had 3 second gens out, 2 first gens and Redlyne ready to chew glass because his car isn't ready yet. If you want to look or try it out there is another event this Sunday.

clem24
05-20-2005, 08:14 PM
Haha, ultimately, it all comes down to the driver, not necessarily the machine (haven't you guys learned your lesson from Initial D yet?!?). What was that guy in the Sprint that was kicking everyone's ass one year. Does one of the second gens belong to Ambrose? He's got the red '93. Sweet sweet ride.

I mean, in SoloII, courses are set up so technical that horsepower is not usually the winning factor. I think it's all driver ability first, and balanced machine second. And of course, weight weight weight... hee hee.

I just find the MKII just doesn't quite have those "go kart" reflexes that is charactertistic of light cars. Of course, the MKI is no where near as sexy as our cars, tho I did see a nice supercharged white one the other day.. Oooh baby..!

Come out to SoloII? Yeah, i've been out a few times, but never really participated. I'd have to go up against the super stocks because of my suspension mods. That would mean I'd get creamed!! Haha, but nah, It's just plain fun in a relaxed environment.

Plus, my car's clutch system is mucked up at the moment, so I wouldn't even be able to drive.. :(

clem..

jvillain
05-21-2005, 01:54 AM
Ambrose had 7th fastest time. He is close to having his car back to stock so that was a pretty impresive time. I've done some work on his car and it is in very, very good shape.

Sorry to hear about your clutch. You should try and come out when you get it working.

I'd have to go up against the super stocks because of my suspension mods.

Hell when I add my carbon fiber trunk in the winter I am strait into mod. It sure won't stop me from having fun though.

Redlyne_mr2
05-23-2005, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by clem24

I just find the MKII just doesn't quite have those "go kart" reflexes that is charactertistic of light cars. Of course, the MKI is no where near as sexy as our cars, tho I did see a nice supercharged white one the other day.. Oooh baby..!

clem..
Hehe go for a ride with Ambrose or Shawn (jvillain) their cars make an mk1 feel like a wet mop.

Super2
05-23-2005, 08:52 PM
Wow thats the most mr2's I've seen at a autox. Everytime I go I'm usually the only one. Well autox in Edmonton that is.

Redlyne_mr2
05-23-2005, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Super2
Wow thats the most mr2's I've seen at a autox. Everytime I go I'm usually the only one. Well autox in Edmonton that is. Yeah there are usually 3 gen 2s and 2 first gens at all Calgary solo 2s. Theyre in Red Deer every Sunday, you should show.

jvillain
05-24-2005, 05:35 PM
We get lots of guys from Edmonton come down to Red Deer for the events because the lot is so much better than Namao. You should make the trip. We are driving the same distance from Calgary. The dates are

* April 17 -Test n tune. Timing training, Red Deer Westerner Park
* April 28 -Solo II School Classroom Session
* April 30 -Solo II School Track Session, Red Deer Westerner Park
* May 15 -Event #1, Red Deer Westerner Park
* May 22 -Event #2, Red Deer Westerner Park
* June 5 -Event #3, Red Deer Westerner Park
* June 12 -Event #4, Red Deer Westerner Park
* June 22 -Test n Tune, Race City Motorsports Park- Road Course
* June 25-26 -Evolution School, Red Deer Westerner Park
* July 6 -Event #5, Race City Motorsports Park- Road Course
* July 9-10 -Event #6 & #7, Red Deer Westerner Park (WCMA Event)
* July 19 -Event #8, Race City Motorsports Park- Road Course (Tuesday)
* Aug 7 -Event #9, Red Deer Westerner Park
* Aug 19-21 -Event #10 & #11 Canadian AutoSlalom Championship, Red Deer Westerner Park
* Sep 11 -Event #12, Red Deer Westerner Park

Are you going in the Corvette challenge up there?

clem24
05-25-2005, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by jvillain
* June 22 -Test n Tune, Race City Motorsports Park- Road Course

Whoa hey, what's test and tune? This sounds really really interesting. Price and activities?

Thanks!!

clem..

jvillain
05-26-2005, 08:05 AM
The test n tunes we do are really targeted at people who do a lot of solo2. There is usually a cap on the number of people that can attend the test n tunes, so unless you are running in the other events you probably won't get in.

The last one up in Red Deer we had 2 courses set up. One that had a skidpad, slalom, Chicago box and sweeper. You went out did as many laps as you wanted, you could also stay out as long as you needed. The other course was was a typical short solo2 course. I think we got some thing like 10 runs each out of that one.

What they have planned for the Calgary event I don't know yet.

The test n tunes are usually the same cost as the events. In Red Deer it is as low as $20 if you register on line and and belong to an affiliated club to I think $35 for day of event non-member participants.
Because we only have half the lot for this weekends test n tune it is only $15. How cool is that though. For as little as $20 you get to go racing.

Race City costs the club a LOT more money so I think the price will be a bit higher. Midship hasn't said what the deal is for this year yet. If he finds this thread maybe he will chip in.

clem24
05-27-2005, 01:08 PM
Yes it's about $600 just to rent the south portion of the track for a night. At $20/head, you'll a need a bit of ppl just to cover that. Is Brando still organizing these things?

clem..

jvillain
05-27-2005, 02:01 PM
Ambrose is the solo2 director this year. Doing a bang up job to.

I think the cost of renting the course has gone up. I seem to remember the number being some where in the range of $1000 for just the south end for the evening. I have no idea where that guy gets off claiming he is loosing money. Do the math on secret street alone. Give me a F'n break.