PDA

View Full Version : Residential Street Sidewalks Question

max_boost
05-17-2005, 01:47 AM
Perhaps someone can shed some light on this. Right now I'm house hunting, and the properties I'm interested in all land on the sidewalk. In other words, it's steep and my car because it's lowered will most likely have it's front bumper ripped off.

Is it possible to buy something that you can place on the edge that flattens the entrance a bit? If so, where? How much? I've seen it on some driveways and I've also heard that it is illegal? Something about restricting the flow of water to the sewers?:dunno: Or is it possible to apply to the city and have them do some work to slam it for easier entrance? I can't imagine such a task be anymore than $2000 which is still a lot. My parents had 1/3 of their driveway paved for $2300. This is assuming the City charges more.

Anyhow, if anyone has info on this, thank you in advance.

nismodrifter
05-17-2005, 02:11 AM
may or may not be of assistance to you but here is the bylaws outlining drainage etc.
http://www.calgary.ca/DocGallery/BU/cityclerks/26m98.pdf
and yes...I believe those metal type ramps things that people put on their curbs as to ease entry into the driveway are illegal...

edit: I was checking into some general info regarding street cleaning (they did a BS job on my street...) and found this little piece of info which clarifies that those ramps are illegal

"12. Do I have to remove my driveway ramp for street cleaning equipment?
Yes. These non-standard ramps are prohibited under City Street By-law No.20m88 and should be removed. If The City has to take away the obstruction, you may be billed for removal costs."

Xtrema
05-17-2005, 08:23 AM
I have seen some house repaved with lower entry points for driveways. I think that's the only legal way to go.

Mr.Buffy
05-17-2005, 12:59 PM
There is a form you can fill out on the City of Calgary website and they will do an initial assessment to determine how much it will cost to re-pave/re-build your driveway entrance. Mine was quoted for about $2,000. You also have payment options like paying it all at once or I think through your property taxes over X years.

max_boost
05-17-2005, 01:56 PM
Thank You!!!

sexualbanana
05-17-2005, 01:58 PM
I remember when my parents were looking into new houses. I was judging houses on strictly the entry way into the driveway.

Gspotracer
05-17-2005, 02:25 PM
I got mine done last year, cost about $2800 & they just added it to the property taxes. Now its so smooth I don't even have to slow down when going up the driveway:thumbsup: well worth it

Mr.Buffy
05-17-2005, 06:13 PM
maxboost,

here is the link to the form you can fill out on the city of calgary website.

http://www.calgary.ca/cweb/gateway/gateway.asp?GID=416&CID=203&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fcontent%2Ecalgary%2Eca%2FCCA%2FCity%2BHall%2FBusiness%2BUnits%2FRoads%2FServices%2Bfor%2Byour%2BNeighbourhood%2FDriveway%2BCrossing%2BRequest%2BForm%2Ehtm

Link should work, if not, let me know.

Fill it out, and then someone will come and assess it for you. You'll see black spray-paint arrows on the sidewalk in a week or so. After that, they will mail out a letter to you detailing costs, schedule, and payment methods.