PDA

View Full Version : legs at home

Tyler883
05-17-2005, 02:11 PM
I have a home system that has the same features as this:

http://newyorkbarbells.tv/4160.html

Also, I have a seated calf raise machine.

As a home do it yourself project, I would like to come up with a simple leg press machine cause, frankly, squats scare the hell out of me.

Any ideas on construction?

One idea that I have is to connect a mechanic's creeper to the bottom pulley, unfortunately that bottom pully is a 2 to 1 advantage, ie 100 lbs only feels like 50 pounds, so I would prabably have to upgrade the aircraft cable so that it can handle the extra plates,.....what do you think?

jumperman8
05-18-2005, 10:04 AM
when it crushes you, dont ask for help. Building a machine that you sit on wiht wieght above you, isnt a good idea, unless you are a company. I would suggest buying one if you want it that bad,

Tyler883
05-18-2005, 11:46 AM
awhoOO!?!?!?

Just how is the weight going to crush me? Did you read my post in it's entirety?

It wouldn't be much different than a seated row, but I would be lying on my back and doing all the work with my legs.

And the things I'm mostly concerned about is the creeper, do you think it would roll well enough without being on a rail? should I put pads on the creep like a hack squatt machine? That kind of stuff.

hockeybronx
05-19-2005, 12:36 PM
I guess if you really have a good amount of time you could pull it off.

I think balancing is the key, most benches feature large strong tubing with welds as their connecting pieces. It's one thing to build the structure so it can stand up, but it's another to build it so it can balance itself while large amounts of weight are moving up and down.

I totally support your idea, but for me I just have a mainly free-weight leg workout, and if I felt the leg-press was essential I'd probably just go out and buy the machine.

5abi
05-19-2005, 12:41 PM
squating the only way 2 go.

Tyler883
05-19-2005, 01:01 PM
oops. balance is a vert good point - that is probably what jumperman8 what implying too - however, I've already anchored my bench to the concrete floor in my basement because I was already finding balancing problems whenever I used the upper pulley.

Personally I like the idea of copying a dedicated system, I've got a welder, and have experience framing utility trailers. Any simple designs out there, or should I stick with a typical leg-press ramp?

Tyler883
05-19-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by 5abi

I envy you.

I get nervous anytime I put more than 170 lbs on the bar, and that doesn't work my muscles as deep as a leg press machine does.

Tyler883
05-19-2005, 01:08 PM
Yikes,

I think this is the type of machine that jumperman might have been against

http://www.net2fitness.com/powerline_vertical_leg_press_machine_station.htm

I'm suprised that someone builds and sells it.

I guess its ok, if you anchor it to the floor.

Has anyone tried something like this??? Whats it like?

Edit: I cant get the link to go straight to the page that I want, just click on leg machines, then look at the "vertical leg press" machines

Wildcat
05-19-2005, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by 5abi

phfft... no its not.

BloodBaneZXY
05-19-2005, 11:59 PM
Uh, squats are the only way to go..lunges work well..leg press and extensions can do a decent job too. But yes, ultimately parallel Squats are probably the best compound leg exercise there is..

5abi
05-20-2005, 01:11 AM
squats cause the largest amount of GH release.

Tyler883
05-20-2005, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by BloodBaneZXY
Uh, squats are the only way to go..lunges work well..leg press and extensions can do a decent job too. But yes, ultimately parallel Squats are probably the best compound leg exercise there is..

The problem that I have with it, is it's a compound exercise- not the best for safety, and they are the opposite to isolating my quads. I like to isolate before taking my quads to failure.

With squats, I never get the deep workout in my quads because how do i take squats (at home with little or no help) to the extreme without risking injury from a fall or from not being able to rack it.

I still do squats but they are near the beginning or middle of my workout before I try to take my quads to failure. Sure I can take my quads to failure with legs extensions( and many times I do ) but I can feel the difference between a leg extension and a leg press...and the name of the game is variety, right?

Tyler883
05-20-2005, 07:57 AM
I have an idea that could be alot simpler than building a leg press machine!:)

I could build a cage, for squats,

and, as an added bonus, it would help me do other stuff without a spotter like heavy bench press

also, it could rack my 35lb plates.

1-Cent
05-25-2005, 07:00 PM
Just get a power rack, barbell and bam, you've got squats. If you can only do one leg excersize, make it squats, might as well not even work your legs if you don't squat bro - they're that important for overall development. You'll get to love them don't worry, its one of my fav days now and I used to dread them just like you do now. After a few sets ending with you curled up in the fetal position throwing up on the floor and you'll love them as much as the rest of us :D