PDA

View Full Version : audi A4 questions

civicrider
05-17-2005, 08:50 PM
hey looking for some answers as i am going to be buying an A4 hopfuly this weekend.

becides the engines what differnces is there between the 1.8T and the 2.8 V6?

does the 2.8 have that much more power?

what one would be best as far as reliability?

core_upt
05-18-2005, 12:10 AM
afaik,

the 1.8 is actually quicker as it is lighter and turbocharged. I think the V6 2.8 is torqiuer though. Most 2.8's will give you full leather and all power options where as the 1.8 came with cloth or leatherette.

Like any stock turbo car, the trubo is generaly poor so the 2.8 tends to be more reliable.

This is only from what i've heard from sudi drivers and a bit of my own research.

I'm sure R-Audi can fill you in more or fix my mistakes since he's owned both and know's his shit.

G'luck on the buy, very nice cars!

:thumbsup: to four door luxury-performance

heavyD
05-18-2005, 08:01 AM
My brother has a A4 1.8T quattro and while I love the interior and quality, the car is way underpowered even chipped (that borg warner turbo is one of the smallest turbo's I have ever seen). If you look at the car as a stylish & comfortable AWD vehicle you won't be dissapointed. If your looking for performance you will.

civicrider
05-18-2005, 10:13 AM
well what i am hoping to get out of the car is something that has some luxury and style to it but id like to have a little bit of balls, tired of the slow civic. as far as mods i only plan on addind an RS4 kit and 19's, and possibly a chip, what one works better with the chip?

heavyD
05-18-2005, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by civicrider
well what i am hoping to get out of the car is something that has some luxury and style to it but id like to have a little bit of balls, tired of the slow civic. as far as mods i only plan on addind an RS4 kit and 19's, and possibly a chip, what one works better with the chip?

Don't get me wrong. I like the car very much. You can always upgrade the turbo in the future. The engine is nice and smooth an all but you won't be chasing down WRX's, SRT4's, DSM's, RSX's, etc.

ninjak84
05-18-2005, 12:12 PM
One of my best friends just bought an A4 1.8T...

It's a nice Jetta, but not much more!
Go for the 2.8 motor.

civicrider
05-18-2005, 12:14 PM
yeah im leaning to the 2.8 but i cant find any in a 5 spd:thumbsdow

AsianCaucasian
05-18-2005, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by ninjak84
One of my best friends just bought an A4 1.8T...

It's a nice Jetta, but not much more!
Go for the 2.8 motor.

Umm... i thought a4 was based on passat platform? the 2.8 is weak imo. In my cousin's passat with awd it's just pathetic.

R-Audi
05-18-2005, 12:41 PM
You can chip both cars, but the 1.8T responds much better. I have had both, and enjoyed both of them. The 2.8 is more of a luxurious cruiser, where the 1.8T can be made to be quite quick. At sea level, the fastest APR stage 3 1/4 mile is 12.97, if not quicker now. (Thats an out of the box turbo kit, same one as I have, but on 104 octane and a race program....) There are quite a few affordable kits out now, ranging from the KO4 to the GT28rs (or bigger..) Check out ATP for the more affordable ones...or AWE and APR for some of the more expensive ones. Just remember the programming is what you are paying a higher rate for with AWE and APR...

As for "but you won't be chasing down WRX's, SRT4's, DSM's, RSX's, etc"
They are usually chasing me down....
:D

civicrider
05-18-2005, 12:58 PM
yah im not looking to hawl ass, alothough i dont mind having soem nice pickup, i want to have a luxurious cruizer so if i go 2.8L and down the road i want some more power i hear its hard to find engine upgrades.

AsianCaucasian
05-18-2005, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by civicrider
yah im not looking to hawl ass, alothough i dont mind having soem nice pickup, i want to have a luxurious cruizer so if i go 2.8L and down the road i want some more power i hear its hard to find engine upgrades.

It's a heavy car with AWD, nearly 4000lbs... It's going to be slower than a civic if you go with the 2.8L. I mean seriously, 2.8L V6 and all you get is 190hp and 202ft.lb tq?

civicrider
05-18-2005, 01:11 PM
so you think the 1.8T is a better bet?

other then the engine and the leather seats does the 2.8 have anything to make it more luxurious?

SAiamNE
05-18-2005, 01:16 PM
One of my buddies has the 1.8T and it's a 1997.
My vote goes for the 1.8T.... V6 is to big and clunky IMO..

R-Audi
05-18-2005, 05:02 PM
The 2.8 comes with Leather, better stereo, and you definately want the sport package.
As for power mods...as long as it is 98+ there is a chip, intake, exhaust and a Supercahrger if you want to go all out. I think my last car went pretty good, not that a regular boxster is anything great, but I was neck and neck with one untill we shut down at third gear....I had chip, intake, exhaust, lowered, snub mount, Shortshifter and a few other goodies..

You sound like you will be modding the car, so just go with the 1.8T, the parts are a lot easier to come by....(I'll have an exhaust in about a week for sale! and an Oettinger front grill)

Xtrema
05-18-2005, 06:30 PM
I go with everyone else, stock - 2.8, modded - 1.8T.

Any A4 older than 01 are hurting on engine specs.

But if you're going for the 2.8, you may as well go for the A6 2.7T. More power and more luxury car for not much more $$.

R-Audi
05-18-2005, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
I go with everyone else, stock - 2.8, modded - 1.8T.

-Correct!

Originally posted by Xtrema
Any A4 older than 01 are hurting on engine specs. [/B]

-Wrong The 2.8 only changed engine specs in 98, then 02. The 1.8T didnt change the engine, only programing, which would be the same once you get chipped. They are quite a few people that actually prefer the ndbw as compared to the newer dbw, and its easier to tune.

Originally posted by Xtrema But if you're going for the 2.8, you may as well go for the A6 2.7T. More power and more luxury car for not much more $$.[/B]

-Wrong. The cheap A6's are the 2.8. PLUS once you get the 2.7T you have the weak sauce KO3's to worry about, and a boat of a car.If you are adding more money, go to the S4.

A2VR6
05-18-2005, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by AsianCaucasian

Umm... i thought a4 was based on passat platform? the 2.8 is weak imo. In my cousin's passat with awd it's just pathetic.

Well the 2.8 isnt half bad with the manual... still slow, but it's sooo damn smooth. And the passat AsianCaucasian is talking about is the passat we have. Yes it's a little on the slow side but it has a decent amount of torque. Usually for the 2.8 it isnt worth it to get a chip, instead most of the people opt for the PES supercharger if they want performance... It has about 295 hp and costs about $5000 USD, pretty decent performance. If your not looking to spend much on mods i'd strongly recommend a A4 1.8T with the sport pkg and manual... for 500 USD you can get similar power (actually more) as the 2.8. But if you want to get big gains on power your still gonna spend about 5000 US on a 1.8T for a turbo upgrade kit. Also i agree with R-Audi... if you want to spend more money, go for a B5 S4... even though they arent the most reliable.

civicrider
05-18-2005, 10:15 PM
yeah see if i was going to put 5 grand into it i would buy an S4 performance isnt something i'll die without, i just want a smooth reliable car, but its good to know my options. so far i think im liking the sound of a 2.8 and possbily later adding few small mods

civic_rida
07-07-2005, 11:13 PM
1.8t chipped is faster than the 2.8

Id go 2002+