PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Ever Used Those Engine Restore Products??

Thaco
05-18-2005, 03:54 PM
I have a high milage beater, seems to be running a bit rough, just bought it for dirt cheap... i am not planning on spending more than $100 to get it running decent... anybody have any personal experiences with any engine restre products?? if so please list the brand, type (maybe even a pic of the bottle) and your results (negative and/or positive)

thanks

sputnik
05-18-2005, 03:59 PM
Use the engine restore crap on a high mileage engine and you will have an engine that still runs rough and now burns oil.

The engine restorers are notorious of using harsh solvents to dissolve carbon build up. However with many high mileage cars the only think keeping the oil from leaking into the combustion chambers is that carbon build up.

Find out whats causing the car to run rough before pouring any snake oil into the engine. It could be as simple as a vacuum leak... or a carb that could use a bit of attention.

freakin
05-18-2005, 04:22 PM
I had good luck with Seafoam, but you can't buy it in Canada. Sputnik is right though....you might run in to an issue where the seals will start leaking.

Seafoam is more for cleaning the cumbustion chamber of carbon deposits than flushing the oil galleries out, but can be used for that. You're supposed to put some in the gas tank, some in the crankcase and the rest you suck in to the engine through a vacum line. I helped smooth the idle and I have a bit better throttle respose in my winter beater. Don't expect a miracle, but it was worth the $10 I spent. Mind you, I also ran 3 cups of distilled water through the vacum line before I ran the Seafoam through it. I'm sure that helped loosed up the deposits.

Note: if you're going to do this, have the car running around 3,000RPM and just stick the line in the fluid for a second then pull it out and let the engine speed recover, then repeat until the water is done. With the Seafoam, once the fluid is basically done, you let it suck it in until it stalls then turn off the ignition and let it sit for 15 minutes. Turn it on and go beat the piss out of the car on the highway for a bit to blow everything out, then come home and change the oil. The Seafoam will seep past the rings while it's sitting, so I strongly recomend the oil change afterwards.

TKRIS
05-18-2005, 04:33 PM
Seafoam does work really well, but as stated, it's hard to get your hands on a bottle.

Most of the stuff you can buy is total crap, particularily the name brand stuff. Not only does it not really work very well, but the name brand stuff costs too damned much.

I've had very good luck with all the additives from "Lucas". I run Lucas additives in my oil, gas, diffs, and tranny. Holds up amazingly well and actually does what it says it'll do. You can get it at Auto Value and NAPA(I believe)

$0.02

Kris

Weapon_R
05-18-2005, 05:18 PM
From what i've heard, Seafoam is now available in Canada.

freakin
05-18-2005, 05:35 PM
^^^^ That's news to me. Any idea where you can get it in Calgary?

If you can't find it, there's a GM product called Kleen or something like that that's pretty similar, but doesn't seem to work as well. I've seen it at Auto Value.

megavolt
05-18-2005, 09:08 PM
I got my cans of Seafoam at the AutoValue on 32nd St. :D

DuPont
05-18-2005, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by TKRIS
I've had very good luck with all the additives from "Lucas". I run Lucas additives in my oil, gas, diffs, and tranny. Holds up amazingly well and actually does what it says it'll do.

Ran across this last week:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm
(after I changed my tranny fluid, and added Lucas):)
Take it for what it's worth...:dunno:

megavolt
05-18-2005, 09:33 PM
I've heard all sorts of bad stuff about Lucas, but only good about Seafoam. That's why Lucas has never made it into my engine and Seafoam has. Don't quite know if it made a huge difference, but my engine wasn't all that dirty.

tapout
05-18-2005, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by TKRIS
Seafoam does work really well, but as stated, it's hard to get your hands on a bottle.

Most of the stuff you can buy is total crap, particularily the name brand stuff. Not only does it not really work very well, but the name brand stuff costs too damned much.

I've had very good luck with all the additives from "Lucas". I run Lucas additives in my oil, gas, diffs, and tranny. Holds up amazingly well and actually does what it says it'll do. You can get it at Auto Value and NAPA(I believe)

$0.02

Kris lucas:thumbsup:

Thaco
05-18-2005, 09:57 PM
anyone have an info site on seafoam?