PDA

View Full Version : Tire Storage

BokCh0y
05-18-2005, 07:33 PM
With the streets being cleaned and the weather so beautiful I'm pretty sure everyone has their summer tires on now.

What I'm curious about though is tire storage. I just throw mine in the garage under the stairs stacked on top of eachother. Is there a proper way to store them? Should I be letting all the air out and keeping them or a shelf or something? I've heard it isn't good to have the tires just resting on concrete/cement, that there should be like a piece of cardboard of something underneath it.

How does everyone here store their tires in general? My friend was yapping about flat spots too with prolonged storage. Any ideas/tips/hints would be appreciated. Thanks.

pyro
05-18-2005, 08:07 PM
for my summer tires i hang them up in my heated garage in the winter and for my winter tires i usally just stack them on top of each other but i lay a piece of cardboard down, i also heard it was better for them :dunno:

youngbex
05-18-2005, 08:29 PM
i just toss mine side of the house

FiveFreshFish
05-18-2005, 09:12 PM
This has worked for me over the years.

STORAGE
I either stack them or stand them up against a wall depending on how much room I've got in the basement or garage. If stacked, the inside of the tire/rim faces down. A cardboard mat is only necessary if your tires are stretched, i.e. the wheel lip sticks out past the sidewall. In that case, use cardboard between each stacked tire but this setup is best stored standing up or hanging. If you stand them up, lean them against a wall with the inside tire/rim facing out to keep the centre of gravity closer to the wall so it has less of a tendancy to tip. You can bag each one before storage; those large yard-cleanup garbage bags are best. Hanging them up is probably the best way to store them because they're out of the way.

MAINTENANCE
Best to clean and wax the rims before storage so you don't have to do it later. I leave the air pressure alone and check when remounted. Use a tire crayon or silver Sharpie to mark which corner each one came from. Nitrogen gas is not worth the trouble and expense unless you get it free. Dig out any large pebbles stuck in the tread before storage and examine the tread for any damage.

FLAT SPOTS
Flat spots will happen on tires mounted on a car parked for a long time. The weight of the wheel and tire itself it not enough to flat-spot a tire.

BokCh0y
05-18-2005, 09:25 PM
^^^^ Thanks dude. I will definately try this out this weekend. :thumbsup: