PDA

View Full Version : wireless locations

thinmyster
05-19-2005, 08:42 AM
is there any places around town that offer free wireless.. ie cafe or something like that where its possible to do homework and still be connected to the internet.. somewhere besides the u of c somewhere like a chapters, starbucks?

AsianCaucasian
05-19-2005, 08:53 AM
lol pull up in your car to random people's houses? I have a portion of my bandwith dedicated for that purpose lol.

Moonracer
05-19-2005, 09:06 AM
I'm finding it harder and harder these days to find an unsecured hotspot. Or free for that matter, the companies that offer hotspots charge a fee and rightfully so. But I don't have to like it...lol

thinmyster
05-19-2005, 09:25 AM
yeah i dont know i just thought it might be a good way to draw people in seing you would only need one connetion right? I thought there would be a place like this... But not an internet/gaming cafe' just somewhere to chill and do some quality HW i cant seem to do it @ home

AsianCaucasian
05-19-2005, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by thinmyster
yeah i dont know i just thought it might be a good way to draw people in seing you would only need one connetion right? I thought there would be a place like this... But not an internet/gaming cafe' just somewhere to chill and do some quality HW i cant seem to do it @ home

are you in UC? if you're not I'd be willing to give you my user/pass, so long as you don't abuse it.

BumpinTalon
05-19-2005, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Moonracer
I'm finding it harder and harder these days to find an unsecured hotspot. Or free for that matter, the companies that offer hotspots charge a fee and rightfully so. But I don't have to like it...lol

I noticed this too, I think its because all the broadband providers are recognizing this problem and encouraging people to secure their network.

thinmyster
05-19-2005, 11:30 AM
yeah im at the university just looking for something sw se

Moonracer
05-19-2005, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by BumpinTalon

I noticed this too, I think its because all the broadband providers are recognizing this problem and encouraging people to secure their network.

yeah probly, everyone is getting educated on it...:cry: I may have to look into how much it costs for a pay hotspot. I drive a limo part time and it can get pretty boring at times when I'm waiting around. And I don't always have something else to do on the laptop. Sometimes I just wanna surf!

dragonone
05-19-2005, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by AsianCaucasian

are you in UC? if you're not I'd be willing to give you my user/pass, so long as you don't abuse it.

i don't see how u can trust anyone w/ ur IT usrname/pw
it's the same for ur blackboard account, so you can do lots of damage w/ it

AsianCaucasian
05-19-2005, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by dragonone

i don't see how u can trust anyone w/ ur IT usrname/pw
it's the same for ur blackboard account, so you can do lots of damage w/ it :dunno: I'm a nice guy haha.

Def_3
05-19-2005, 04:27 PM
Telus Mobility offers hot spots at the airport now

DarkDream
05-19-2005, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Def_3
Telus Mobility offers hot spots at the airport now

Its expensive.... but then again if you are going to be sitting at the airport for a long time i guess it will be worth it to make time fly by faster

Davetronz
05-19-2005, 08:19 PM
War Driving time :D

AllGoNoShow
05-19-2005, 08:22 PM
I'm with fastDak.

I got everythign ready except the PCMCIA card and the Working Car.

As soon as I get the car working Im gettign a tank of gas insurance and registration and picking up a PCMCIA card and going to have some fun.

Maybe we should post a hotspot thread or something?

I wouldn't mind making a DB on my Website for it for local spots around Calgary. I'm considering doing GPS War Driving aswell but will be submitting that to a larger War Driving network because I will be doing it all over Alberta.

HondaRice
05-24-2005, 01:46 PM
the largest hotspot in calgary is in penbrook marbourgh area. the network SSID is called "Call 770-1584 For Internet" westnet mobility is testing it out and if you call they will give you free access for a day. Just provide them your MAC address wireless card and check the box "the key is provided to me automatically" and your set.

I give them props for settiting it up.

CalgarySupra
05-28-2005, 02:25 PM
yeah i am actually using the forest lawn wireless network (call 770) . forest lawn area was the first in calgary to set up a wide area wireless network. it will be extended into the west soon. i can download a file 350kbytes a second sometimes. great relable servicve. more relable then telus dsl. with my aircard its connected at 108 mbps or sometimes 24 or 54. it changes but they have like 30 watt towers up. they invested millions so far.