PDA

View Full Version : Is it even possible to clean a Laptop keyboard?

GucciBoy
05-19-2005, 09:46 PM
Like blowing all the dust, whatever is under and inbetween the keys out. See the reason I ask is because, lately Ive noticed that some of the keys, on and off will press kinda wierd. this is really hard to explain. Like for instance you if I push a key in general say 20 times, maybe 1 of the 20 presses, the key will press differently by the feedback I get from it. A key should press and feel the exact same way every single time you press it, no matter how many times you press it or how fast. Ive taken extreme care of it, never typed hard on it. Its Hard to explain. sometimes a key may click or snap.

im thinking maybe its dust or whatever crumbs under it thats making it press wierd? i tried cleaning out the keyboard with canned air last week but you cant even get inbetween the keys too tiny! the straw wont fit!

Despair*
05-19-2005, 10:00 PM
Yeah I used to have this problem to with my laptop after a long while. You should be able to pop off most of your keys as they pretty much snap on. You should be able to clean it quite a bit easier. I used to do this with some of my keys every now and than to remove crumbs and stuff when they would start giving me troulbe.

GucciBoy
05-19-2005, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Despair*
Yeah I used to have this problem to with my laptop after a long while. You should be able to pop off most of your keys as they pretty much snap on. You should be able to clean it quite a bit easier. I used to do this with some of my keys every now and than to remove crumbs and stuff when they would start giving me troulbe.

Ive heard its hard to snap off laptop keys without having them break the hinge or etc. Whats the best way? I wouldnt do it with all my keys but its mainly my X key thats doing this, sometimes the 3 or 8 key but i dont do numerics often enough on my laptop to have it worrysome.

Last resort is getting a new keyboardp ut in under warranty. But its just alot of trouble bringing it into a service center, though I know one quite well that they will see it the day you drop it off and you can take it back while the part is waiting to arrive. But ya, its just far and alot of trouble, paperwork, etc blah

BTW, OP - after you did this, did you notice your keys press differently after you put them back on? Desktop keyboards ive done that but thats different, laptop is a diff. story. I would never touch the space bar, thats asking for trouble right there.
Im sure there is an easy solution to this.

GucciBoy
05-19-2005, 10:39 PM
ok i think i might have fixed my X key. I wsa able to get the key off no prob, but i left the springs all still attached to the laptop, no way im touching that lol - nightmares having to reattach.

Anyways, would this do? just taking the key off and leaving the springs on? surprised how much gunk was under there, tho even i use covers hmmm. :cry:

AllGoNoShow
05-19-2005, 11:04 PM
Haven't done it with my laptop yet so I'm eager to figure it out as well.

Desktops is so much easier when you can take it all apart and do it that way

GucciBoy
05-19-2005, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
Haven't done it with my laptop yet so I'm eager to figure it out as well.

Desktops is so much easier when you can take it all apart and do it that way

yip. how old is your lappy and are your keys sticking yet?

i found this, might help.

http://www.computing.net/howto/simple/keyboard/

AllGoNoShow
05-19-2005, 11:15 PM
Its an older Dell

They don't stick but they are probably dirty so it would be useful anyways.

Shoebox//Racer
05-19-2005, 11:19 PM

Haha careful daryl. some laptops have the keys attached by glue, not a snap on connection like most newer models. I found out the hard way when i was trying to play CS and my 'w' key just ... fell off. I found out it was just glued on.

Easy to fix. but just a heads up to anyone who's thinking about it.

GucciBoy
05-19-2005, 11:26 PM
never ever ever ever ever take the space bar off, its near impossible putting back on.

my keys came off fine, im glad the springs arent coming off the laptop, which makes it easy.

im surprised how much gunk gets in here thou the gaps are so tiny compared to reg keyboards. And I use a cover!!!

Davetronz
05-19-2005, 11:27 PM
So I should be looking to replace your guys keyboards sometime next week then?

Dont attempt to remove the keys from a laptop keyboard. If it is dirtier than a can of compressed air will clean you have a bit of an issue.

If your laptop is a Toshiba or IBM, replacement keyboards can be ordered and installed easily, send me a PM. If you have a Compaq, HP or Dell have fun.

I have seen a lot of people attempt to "clean" their keyboard and only break them more by doing so... Replacement laptop keyboards are in the range of $40-$60 with a minimum labor charge.

Despair*
05-20-2005, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by GucciBoy

Ive heard its hard to snap off laptop keys without having them break the hinge or etc. Whats the best way? I wouldnt do it with all my keys but its mainly my X key thats doing this, sometimes the 3 or 8 key but i dont do numerics often enough on my laptop to have it worrysome.

Last resort is getting a new keyboardp ut in under warranty. But its just alot of trouble bringing it into a service center, though I know one quite well that they will see it the day you drop it off and you can take it back while the part is waiting to arrive. But ya, its just far and alot of trouble, paperwork, etc blah

BTW, OP - after you did this, did you notice your keys press differently after you put them back on? Desktop keyboards ive done that but thats different, laptop is a diff. story. I would never touch the space bar, thats asking for trouble right there.
Im sure there is an easy solution to this.

I only used to only clean a few keys at most, but like some of the guys pointed out you need to be cautious when removing them as some laptops utilize different types of keyboards. My keyboard was for a Toshiba satellite A10 and the keys were easy to snap off and remove, and once I cleaned some of the crumbs and stuff out the keys were pretty much back to normal and working like they should. Its always risky removing the keys so If your keyboard is giving you too much troulbe it might be easier to just replace it.

GucciBoy
05-20-2005, 07:24 PM
ok my GYAY key gust popped off wierd and heres some pics. for some reason the spring is loaded on differently from all the other keys. what can i do? im getting my keyboard replaced next week later in the week but it would be nice to at least getthis one key back on.

i gust took off the h and k keys so its easier to work on the ghay key. h and k keys go back on fine.

pics
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/home.php

GucciBoy
05-20-2005, 07:44 PM
OK I GOT THE JEY KEY BACK ON PROPERLY. WHY IT WAS LAYED OUT DIFFERENTLY FROM THE REST OF THE KEYS IS BEYOND ME, BUT THE JEY KEY STICKS

take a look at the last pic on my link. it shows after i took off the springs how odd shape the keyboard key frame is and just around the j key. ive never seen anything like it

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/home.phphttp://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Monsterworkout/IMG_0291.JPG

Davetronz
05-20-2005, 11:55 PM
Stop pulling keys off! :rofl:

Give me a call this week or next week and we will work something out.

Shoebox//Racer
05-22-2005, 02:13 AM
lol. Unfrotunetly for me my laptop keyboard is wireless...

Its from the Toshiba Satellite 1950 series. so i bet replacing this puppy will be at least +100$. Its easy enough to clean the keys myself though. Best thing is just turn upside down and shake. Then some compressed air shake it out again. Sees to work fine for me if you keep it up ... mm say bi-monthly.

Despair*
05-22-2005, 02:21 AM
Also less eating chips and cookies near your laptop would help alot also. I know its hard to resist sometimes though when your playing CS, or CSS.

GucciBoy
05-22-2005, 02:38 AM
Also less eating chips and cookies near your laptop would help alot also. I know its hard to resist sometimes though when your playing CS, or CSS.

ya true, i never got crumbs near my laptop and used covers when i was out or not using for overnight, and still alot of sticky junk under - gross. But im getting the keyboard replaced next week so should all be good as gold. Theyre ordering it tues so hopefully should be able to get in by friday since short week it might hurt the chances.

GucciBoy
05-22-2005, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by Shoebox//Racer

Its from the Toshiba Satellite 1950 series. so i bet replacing this puppy will be at least +100$. Its easy enough to clean the keys myself though. Best thing is just turn upside down and shake. Then some compressed air shake it out again. Sees to work fine for me if you keep it up ... mm say bi-monthly.

Wireless laptop keyboard? interesting.

FiveFreshFish
05-22-2005, 02:48 AM
The canned air doesn't do much. Use an air compressor or nitrogen gas at 100+ psi to clean your crumbs and dead skin.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/trust.no.one/Misc/NitrogenTank.jpg

Davetronz
05-22-2005, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Shoebox//Racer

They never did continue that wireless keyboard idea... I thought it was pretty sweet.
If you want the pricing on that KB feel free to E-mail me.

-D

GucciBoy
05-22-2005, 11:46 PM
id like to see pics or more info on the KB, sounds interesting.