PDA

View Full Version : Choosing Universities, McMaster vs. UVic

Idratherbsidewayz
05-20-2005, 09:18 AM
I got accepted into McMaster and Victoria Engineering. Im going to be taking Mechanical Engineering and want to one day work for an automotive company (ideally).

There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

McMaster:
-Close to Detroit (Auto industry)
-Decent school from what I hear

-Depressing city
-East coast...

Victoria:
-Biggest Co-op program in Canada
-West Coast, awesome campus and city

-Not as good a school
-Auto Industry is kind of far (California, Japan)

Has anyone attended either of these with good or bad experiences?

Thanks in advance,

Greg

mo_virgin
05-20-2005, 09:52 AM
Uvic Engineering kicks ass. We had the nicest facilities out of any faculty on campus, its a nice small university, the people are awsome, and there's lots of bunnies! Besides with the warmer weather year round the skirts are always out. I have never met someone who attended Uvic who didnt have a great time. Hope you choose the westside

5hift
05-22-2005, 08:06 AM
I have several cousins at Mac (one of which is in engg), and I have heard along with it being a good school for education and what not, that its a really good party school. Because of its location, there are many other universities within a close distance which leads to some huge parties and things like that. All the clubs/bars are across the main street of campus and the residence is set up so theres not too much walking. I would suggest taking a look more closely at Mac.

mo_virgin
05-22-2005, 09:51 AM
Look... aint nobody gonna care which university you got your ENG undergrad in... seriously, im not saying that Uvic has a bad ENG faculty at all but i was in a similar dilema and i choose UVIC and it was the right choice.

axluz
05-22-2005, 06:22 PM
I believe Mac has an engineering/business course there where after you finish your required courses you can take one more year and you have a MBA. I should have gone there, had I known.

And yes, a lot of employers do care where you get your engineering degree from. They stop caring, when you get your work experience. Which would you rather hire...an MIT grad or one from UofT? It's nice to think that it doesn't matter, but it does.

Impreza
05-22-2005, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by axluz
I believe Mac has an engineering/business course there where after you finish your required courses you can take one more year and you have a MBA. I should have gone there, had I known.

And yes, a lot of employers do care where you get your engineering degree from. They stop caring, when you get your work experience. Which would you rather hire...an MIT grad or one from UofT? It's nice to think that it doesn't matter, but it does.

You're right, it DOES matter. However, I don't think it is a huge difference if a potential employer is comparing a UVic grad to a McMaster grad. If you're comparing a UVic or McMaster grad to a BYU or MIT grad, then that is a different story.

If a person says they graduated from Uvic, Mcmaster, UofT, etc., most people rate those schools at around the same level. If a person says they graduated from US Ivy League Schools like Yale and Harvard, those schools are held in a much higher regard.

mo_virgin
05-22-2005, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by axluz

OK i obviously wasn't refering to MIT or Stanford. Besides, in Canada a U of T ENG degree will stand up against a Harvard one i say.

Super_Geo
05-26-2005, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by mo_virgin
Look... aint nobody gonna care which university you got your ENG undergrad in... seriously, im not saying that Uvic has a bad ENG faculty at all but i was in a similar dilema and i choose UVIC and it was the right choice.

It makes a HUGE difference when you go for a professional degree or your Master's. If you apply to the states, the only two Canadian Universities they know are UofT and McGill. Queen's and McGill usually flip flop between 2nd and 3rd in overall ranking in Canada, but even Queen's is relatively unknown south of the boarder. But I guess it all depends on how far you're planning to take university.

Super_Geo
05-26-2005, 07:46 PM
Besides, in Canada a U of T ENG degree will stand up against a Harvard one i say.

I don't think any corporations in Canada would share that view.

Impreza
05-26-2005, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

I don't think any corporations in Canada would share that view.

No corporations in the world would share that view!

Gondi Stylez
05-28-2005, 11:04 AM
go to u of vic

the east blows!!

congrats in getting into both places though! both are really really good unis!

mo_virgin
05-29-2005, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

It makes a HUGE difference when you go for a professional degree or your Master's. If you apply to the states, the only two Canadian Universities they know are UofT and McGill. Queen's and McGill usually flip flop between 2nd and 3rd in overall ranking in Canada, but even Queen's is relatively unknown south of the boarder. But I guess it all depends on how far you're planning to take university.

Huge difference my ass... expirience is what makes the big difference not where your undergrad comes from. Besides, U of T has a world reknown Engineering program, Harvard? certainly not famous for anything except Law. Ask any head hunter in Canada how much it matters where someone got their undergrad from... the answer will always be the same, It makes a difference but only as a tie breaker. Not the HUGE difference you claim.

ninjak84
05-29-2005, 01:58 PM
Ask any head hunter in Canada how much it matters where someone got their undergrad from...

I did, and you're still wrong.

Harvard not famous for anything besides law? Stop posting here :rolleyes:
I'm not sure why you're trying to dis-credit Harvard, or compare it to a school like U of T. I've got 2 friends at Harvard, neither are taking law. Let's see how many Toronto graduates beat them out of their jobs.

RiCE-DaDDy
05-29-2005, 02:16 PM
mo_virgin, u misunderstood.
super geo is saying it makes a huge diff when u plan on going to a us school to further your education.

experience is key, makes perfect sense, when u a 40 yr old something, your undergrad aint gonna matter.

It makes a difference but only as a tie breaker. Not the HUGE difference you claim. '

But, that tie breaker is a HUGE difference. Let's say theres a premier job opening, hundreds on applicants. Harvard guy wins the "tie breaker". odds are 1/hundreds, thats huge man.

Also, I wouldnt be suprised when education beats out experience. u got a experienced guy versus young with education. a company may choose potential over the proven. and u also pay the young guy less. You know this happens in the real world, lay offs, restructuring, etc

mo_virgin
05-29-2005, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy
mo_virgin, u misunderstood.
super geo is saying it makes a huge diff when u plan on going to a us school to further your education.

experience is key, makes perfect sense, when u a 40 yr old something, your undergrad aint gonna matter.

'

But, that tie breaker is a HUGE difference. Let's say theres a premier job opening, hundreds on applicants. Harvard guy wins the "tie breaker". odds are 1/hundreds, thats huge man.

Also, I wouldnt be suprised when education beats out experience. u got a experienced guy versus young with education. a company may choose potential over the proven. and u also pay the young guy less. You know this happens in the real world, lay offs, restructuring, etc

I disagree, expirience is what wins out over and over again, this is not the NBA draft where potential is what people hire you on.

As for the tie breaker, your example doesnt make sense... or perhaps you misunderstood what i was refering to. Tie breaker in the sense that it came down to two people with the exact same qualifications and expirience in that case the school would be the final thing they would consider. I was not refering to a tie breaker with 100s of people.

mo_virgin
05-29-2005, 09:22 PM
Ok its getting off topic, I say uvic is the better choice.
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00006LPDN.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

RiCE-DaDDy
05-29-2005, 10:14 PM

I disagree, expirience is what wins out over and over again, this is not the NBA draft where potential is what people hire you on.

As for the tie breaker, your example doesnt make sense... or perhaps you misunderstood what i was refering to. Tie breaker in the sense that it came down to two people with the exact same qualifications and expirience in that case the school would be the final thing they would consider. I was not refering to a tie breaker with 100s of people.

2 ppl tie breaker, makes it less spectacular vs hundreds, which further supports my view. so it doesnt really matter if its 2 or more even if u assume one or more will have equal experience and stuf.

i agree experience wins, but when it comes to academics, its a different formula. and even if its not for school, young over proven already is something that happens in the real world