PDA

View Full Version : Sait?

Canmorite
05-20-2005, 08:33 PM
Any students of SAIT here? I am thinking of en-rolling for this fall and I am wondering what the school is like overall? (Teachers, classes, academics, etc.)

Thanks.

jumperman8
05-20-2005, 08:36 PM
SAIT is cool, fun school, and good classes teachers depending on what you want to go into. Im personally in Digital Graphics, so i coudlnt give you info on business etc.

jfulton
05-20-2005, 09:31 PM
teacher are great.
im takeing their AME course (aircraft mechanic)
at their new hanger up by the airport.
one of the best decisions ever
good luck bud

o and what u planin on takeing ?

Canmorite
05-20-2005, 10:34 PM
Automotive Service Technology is what SAIT calls the course. A mechanic course basically. I want to get into automotive engineering as well.

Has anyone taken that mechanics course?

AllGoNoShow
05-20-2005, 10:47 PM
I was looking into that aswell, not anymore, we will see maybe I will take NNT and AST but only time will tell.

From what I learned, good program, good shop teachers, good division of Theory vs. Practical so it seemed like a good course.

Davetronz
05-20-2005, 11:53 PM
I did SAIT's Computer Engineering Technology (CNT) and I really enjoyed it. I would go back without hesitation and take another course or even to teach there.

forced14
05-21-2005, 01:32 AM
Im going into second year NNT, awesome class, SAIT is a fun school with good sized classes.

Despair*
05-21-2005, 02:29 AM
I took CNT at SAIT. Just graduated in December. The thing I like most about it was the small class sizes. By the middle of the first semester you pretty much know every one in your class and your on a first name basis with your instructors. To them you aren't just another number like at the U of C. I found the instructors for CNT to be really good. They Knew there material, and they also made the classes interesting for the most part. Definatly a good learning experience for me, and I've never once regretted my choice to attend this program.

forced14
05-21-2005, 04:16 PM
The only problem with being in a class that uses laptops, is that they are very distracting. And people use msn messenger to cheat alot. Although if it is a really boring class and you know your stuff, there is always the possibility of playing counter strike lol (took up way to much class time)

ApexDrift
05-21-2005, 05:21 PM
i hate sait
maybe its just my program... EDDT

AllGoNoShow
05-21-2005, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by forced14
The only problem with being in a class that uses laptops, is that they are very distracting. And people use msn messenger to cheat alot. Although if it is a really boring class and you know your stuff, there is always the possibility of playing counter strike lol (took up way to much class time)

*grins*
I would never do such a thing when I start there :rolleyes:

:D:D:D:D Do the instructors/teachers not notice the dinging and you jumping around and guns going off and sigh everytime u die on CS?

AllGoNoShow
05-21-2005, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by ApexDrift
i hate sait

Whats EDDT

Despair*
05-22-2005, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow

*grins*
I would never do such a thing when I start there :rolleyes:

:D:D:D:D Do the instructors/teachers not notice the dinging and you jumping around and guns going off and sigh everytime u die on CS?

It really depends on the class and instructors. Some of the instructors don't really care, I know a select few in my first semester didn't. It was a pretty common occurence for us to start up a server and play during 1 of my math classes and during lunch breaks. Of course this wasn't a very productive way to learn and stay ahead in class ;)

ricefarmer
05-22-2005, 03:04 AM
i would recomend sait 100% im taking business there but i know a few people taking automotives and from what i hear they have pretty good facilities'

rio_rex
05-22-2005, 11:59 AM
i hate sait

I'll second that...i'm in EDDT too, some of the instructors are complete crap.

xDiMSuMx
05-22-2005, 12:11 PM
rio_rex are u taking spring classes?
i see 2 other crx's in the parking lot

rio_rex
05-22-2005, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by xDiMSuMx
rio_rex are u taking spring classes?
i see 2 other crx's in the parking lot

Yeah i'm taking spring/summer classes, mines the red one...dam sait and their expensive parking! I really have to make use of the U pass more often:rolleyes:

Oh and to someone earlyer who asked what EDDT is, its the engineering design and drafting program.

ApexDrift
05-22-2005, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by rio_rex

I'll second that...i'm in EDDT too, some of the instructors are complete crap.

yeah especially the program corrdinator dave dawson...
what section/class are you in?...

rio_rex
05-22-2005, 01:05 PM

yeah especially the program corrdinator dave dawson...
what section/class are you in?...

Haha, yeah i heard dave dawson was quite the prick to alot of students. I started in jan, so i'm in second semester right now....i'm guessing your a second year eddt?

ApexDrift
05-22-2005, 03:13 PM
yeah... i guess ill see you in 3rd

Canmorite
05-22-2005, 04:22 PM
How's the EDDT class you guys are taking? What does it include?

AllGoNoShow
05-22-2005, 04:24 PM
I'm still wondering wtf is EDDT is

Nix87
05-22-2005, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by rio_rex

Yeah i'm taking spring/summer classes, mines the red one...dam sait and their expensive parking! I really have to make use of the U pass more often:rolleyes:

Oh and to someone earlyer who asked what EDDT is, its the engineering design and drafting program.

EDDT ^

AllGoNoShow
05-22-2005, 04:33 PM
aaa missed that one :D

Thanks.

Bigchuckers
05-23-2005, 12:59 AM
yeah my bud is in the AST (automotive service technology) program he just finished the 1st yr.. he loved it.. it is awsome.. he says great instructors and the brand new facilites make it so so much better..:thumbsup: :guns:

AllGoNoShow
05-23-2005, 01:01 AM
Guy I work with finished his 2nd year AST i think, basically said you can tell who wants to be an Journeymen Mechanic and who doesn't, the ones who come back after 1st year do the ones who don't, dont. Sounds like a good course, I jsut don't know what I want to do yet, NNT or AST.

Canmorite
05-23-2005, 06:42 PM
What's the difference between a journeyman Mechanic and a...regular mechanic? Or are you just saying the ones who dont come back dont want to be a mechanic at all?

AllGoNoShow
05-23-2005, 06:46 PM
In order to be a licensed mechanic in Alberta you have to have your Joruneymen cerification, if you don't have that, you aren't officially a mechanic, and your ass could be on the line if you say u are but you actually aren't. If you are trianing to become a Mechanic, you register as an Apparantice with the government.

Canmorite
05-23-2005, 06:51 PM
What if you go to a dealership and become an apprentice through them, do you still have to deal with SAIT or any school for that matter?

AllGoNoShow
05-23-2005, 07:46 PM
You have to get a bluebook and register with the government, I am not sure about the whole SAIT involvement outside of a 2 year diploma for AST

ApexDrift
05-24-2005, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite
How's the EDDT class you guys are taking? What does it include?

its a drafting cource, you draw everything form, pipes to buildings, to roads. theres to many calculations to remember, a crap load of drawings to do, a crap load of projects, alot of weeder classes in this program, and shitty teachers to teach you how to do things... in my strength and materials class 78% of the class failed due to the fact the teacher couldnt teach shit! thats a $600 class they have to pay for again

Azn_Boy88888888
02-08-2007, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite
Any students of SAIT here? I am thinking of en-rolling for this fall and I am wondering what the school is like overall? (Teachers, classes, academics, etc.)

Thanks.

Some teachers and instructors are generally pretty good. A helpful link to check how specific teachers are may be the ratemyprofessors.ca website. Depending on the program, for a full course load at SAIT, you may be looking at up to about six courses per semester. Class sizes are generally small and reasonable.

One unfortunate difficulty may be that the classes in many programs start around 8 am and end at 4 to 5 pm. There also tends to be no electives and the given courses are mandatory for credentials (depending on program). Class attendance policy at SAIT is also very strict. Skipping classes are also not permitted and missing three or more classes in a given semester may subject the student for withdrawal from the course without a refund.

Canmorite
02-08-2007, 10:24 PM
Wow, old thread. I went into Business at SAIT btw. A bit of a change...haha

rinny
02-08-2007, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Azn_Boy88888888

Some teachers and instructors are generally pretty good. A helpful link to check how specific teachers are may be the ratemyprofessors.ca website. Depending on the program, for a full course load at SAIT, you may be looking at up to about six courses per semester. Class sizes are generally small and reasonable.

One unfortunate difficulty may be that the classes in many programs start around 8 am and end at 4 to 5 pm. There also tends to be no electives and the given courses are mandatory for credentials (depending on program). Class attendance policy at SAIT is also very strict. Skipping classes are also not permitted and missing three or more classes in a given semester may subject the student for withdrawal from the course without a refund.

SAIT is like high school- class sizes are about the same and you stick with the same people for the whole year. Schedules depend on your program, some days im 8-4, some 12-4pm, 10-2pm. It all depends on the scheduling. As far as attendance, the only attendance i have found to matter thus far is lab attendance. I skipped a 1/4 of classes last semester with no disciplining and still pulled off a 3.4. So far, the amount of work at SAIT is less than what I did in high school, however Im sure this will change nearing the end of this semester, going into third.

FreakinPrince
02-08-2007, 10:36 PM
I have taken up CNT and now trying to finish up my BA: NETWORK MANAGMENT

overall i love it...great class size, teachers (depend on programs) and alot of interesting people to meet up with.

You'll enjoy it!!! Trust me and others!!!