PDA

View Full Version : Ford is drifting now too.

GC84ever
05-20-2005, 10:47 PM
Well since we already have a Viper and GTO drift car. Now ford decided to jump in too. With it's new Mustanf drift car, driven by Ken Gushi. click here for article on IGN.com (http://cars.ign.com/articles/608/608358p1.html)

http://carsmedia.ign.com/cars/image/article/608/608358/interview-ken-gushi-20050428044956187.jpg
http://carsmedia.ign.com/cars/image/article/608/608358/interview-ken-gushi-20050428044957937.jpg
http://carsmedia.ign.com/cars/image/article/608/608358/interview-ken-gushi-20050428044957031.jpg
http://carsmedia.ign.com/cars/image/article/608/608358/interview-ken-gushi-20050428044957406.jpg
http://carsmedia.ign.com/cars/image/article/608/608358/interview-ken-gushi-20050428044956640.jpg

Kamen
05-20-2005, 11:48 PM
Cool read :thumbsup:
It'd be interesting to see domestic integration into the drift scene and how it stacks up against traditional methods.

calgarys13
05-21-2005, 12:24 AM
this is horrible not once has any japanese manufacturer introduced a car into d1..the people decide what cars should be raced in d1 and its just another example of corporate america killing another cool thing!

Toms-SC
05-21-2005, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by calgarys13
this is horrible not once has any japanese manufacturer introduced a car into d1..the people decide what cars should be raced in d1 and its just another example of corporate america killing another cool thing!

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

finboy
05-21-2005, 12:46 AM
heard about it a few months ago, ken gushi is only 18 and is already a sponsored driver for one of the big 3, at 18 i had a jetta, a really crappy jetta :(

JCX
05-21-2005, 09:59 AM

:cry: :zzz: :rofl:

America makes many high power RWD cars, so why wouldn't they go into it. Plus I guess the manufacturers want to impress the doriftotards. I kinda hope it does kill the scene though.

:whocares:

youngbex
05-21-2005, 10:08 AM
i hate seeing domestic cars drifting

A790
05-21-2005, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by JCX

Plus I guess the manufacturers want to impress the doriftotards. I kinda hope it does kill the scene though.

That's kind of ignorant. Just because you don't care for it doesn't mean that other people don't.

cman
05-21-2005, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by youngbex

babhahahahaha retard! who cares what the car is, if you were a true fan you would watch it for the drifting and driving, not for whether the car is domestic of japanese.

crazydave
05-21-2005, 07:26 PM

:eek: :rofl: :whocares:
lol wha wha wha wha. who cares.:rolleyes:

JCX
05-21-2005, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by A790

That's kind of ignorant. Just because you don't care for it doesn't mean that other people don't.

I admit I don't like the drifting scene at all and never will.:angel:

The reason for my comments is because now that manufacturers are supporting the "sport" the hardcore wanna be JDM Initial D fanbois are crying. It's pathetic. Domestic manufacturer support will allow drifting to be seen by people who never otherwise would. Money is the way it can thrive in North America. I personally think it's just insecurity to think a Non-Japanese car shouldn't compete.

Without coporate support would we have Nascar? F1? WRC? No, no, no.

finboy
05-22-2005, 03:09 AM

do you hate seeing imports drag race too?

chris
05-23-2005, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by JCX

America makes many high power RWD cars, so why wouldn't they go into it. Plus I guess the manufacturers want to impress the doriftotards. I kinda hope it does kill the scene though.

just because a car is rwd doesn't make it an automatic drift car. The reason why drifters usually stay away from domestics is that they all have heavy v8's in them, which makes car control difficult with an extra 1000 pounds swinging around. Plus most american cars are not known for their handling.

BumpinTalon
05-23-2005, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by chris

just because a car is rwd doesn't make it an automatic drift car. The reason why drifters usually stay away from domestics is that they all have heavy v8's in them, which makes car control difficult with an extra 1000 pounds swinging around. Plus most american cars are not known for their handling.

ahahahaha yeah whatever
I could out-drift you in my old '73 nova.
how about that old El Camino that only had upgraded shocks, with leaf springs in the back and some crappy springs up front, and beat some of the Japanese cars? this is an El Camino run by a couple guys out of their own garage, with only around $7k into it, by the way, beating all the big name Japanese drifters. he didn't win, sure, but he beat some of the hardcore guys.
extra 1000 pounds? HA.
a 1970 Camaro SUPER SPORT with a BIG BLOCK, all iron Chevolret 396ci V8 in it weighs 3,100 pounds.
A Chevelle with a 454ci V8 weighs 3,307lbs.
An Impala SS with a 408 big block weighs LESS then the modern day Impala, and it is a real boat - but it only weighs 3,450lbs.
If I could find the curb weight of a Nova SS, you would be surprised... it is just over the 3,000lbs mark. For comparison's sake, a Nissan 350Z is 3,217lbs.
The heavy feel comes from the antiquated suspension. But, if you have ever driven in an old muscle car with a Mustang II front end and an upgrade rear suspension, you will be SHOCKED at how well they handle. Popular Hot Rodding got a Chevelle that could only run the slalom at 54mph to run it at 66mph, without the Mustang II front end.

Toms-SC
05-23-2005, 09:34 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Redlyne_mr2
05-23-2005, 09:38 PM
The mustang should make a pretty decent drifter. With its ancient suspension and loads of torque at every rpm it shouldnt be too hard to keep that thing sideways.

EK 2.0
05-23-2005, 09:42 PM

why??...what is the big deal??...if it's RWD and can do it why not...I have been waiting to see a Stang or Camaro at our local Drift Days forever...for the price of one of those vs. the Takumi Overpriced 86...call me a redneck anyday...

allsho
05-24-2005, 04:02 AM
lets get real though...

If ford is putting a car into something... Its gunna be pretty dam good.. . they want people to buy the car.. theyre gunna throw as much money into it as they can at the time... making it very good for its task (drifting right now)...

its just a marketing tactik obviously.. and im sure theyll do it properly.

I wanna see this thing giver

Hige
05-26-2005, 04:15 AM
Finally Ford has something to brag about besides having the first car. But Hell I couls easilt beat him in my highly tuned '58 Vette 327 (if it was legal) or my legally tuned AMX

crazydave
05-26-2005, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Hige
Finally Ford has something to brag about besides having the first car. But Hell I couls easilt beat him in my highly tuned '58 Vette 327 (if it was legal) or my legally tuned AMX

:rofl: :whocares:

heavyD
05-26-2005, 12:26 PM
its just another example of corporate america killing another cool thing!

I think the death of drifting would be a good thing. Go! Ford! Go!
Die! Drifting! Die!:whipped:

sputnik
05-26-2005, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

:werd:

I think "automotive figure skating" has had its day in the sun.

method
05-26-2005, 05:14 PM
the drifting 'scene' died years ago when every fanboy jumped on board.

good to see domestic piles destroying the hopes of every ricer out there.

crazydave
05-26-2005, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Originally posted by sputnik

Originally posted by method
the drifting 'scene' died years ago when every fanboy jumped on board.

good to see domestic piles destroying the hopes of every ricer out there.

here we go again. this time tho, im not even going to stick up for drifting because i acually agree its a fad.
never the less i still enjoy it:thumbsup: :burnout:

BerserkerCatSplat
05-26-2005, 10:09 PM
I'm going to stay out of the drift/anti-drift argument.

Instead, I'm going to say that Ken Gushi is one lucky bastard!

streetarab
05-26-2005, 11:03 PM
i love drifting and will watch it whether it is domestic or import, but i still have to admit, as much as i dont want it to die, it does feel like a fad, it seems like all the manufacturers are on board and there are american drifters all over the place, but yet people talk about it less and less

schurchill39
05-26-2005, 11:11 PM
God that car is sexy. Lucky japanese bastards going after the american cars to. Why do they have to be so good at everything

Godfuader
05-26-2005, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

:rofl: :rofl: Thats funny. But i still enjoy watchin the pros do their thing once in a while, not the fad followers.

#1hustler
05-27-2005, 01:54 PM
Rhys Millen and his team are actually currently building a 1966 pontiac GTO for drifting. They are taking the suspension from a current australian GTO and throwing a small block V8 in it. Although Rhys will still drive his current GTO in competition.

I think it would be interesting to see how it drifts.

Hige
05-27-2005, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by streetarab
i love drifting and will watch it whether it is domestic or import, but i still have to admit, as much as i dont want it to die, it does feel like a fad, it seems like all the manufacturers are on board and there are american drifters all over the place, but yet people talk about it less and less

I love drifting in old cars, i don't see ho someone couldn't like it

schurchill39
05-27-2005, 09:59 PM
I cant say as i have seen old cars drift minus the monster garage attempt but that doesnt really count. Would be nice to see

ACX
05-28-2005, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by chris

dude, if a car that originally came out before most kids on this site had pubic hair is heralded as an uber drifting machine, then an 05 mustang body in white with a trick suspension and an 03+cobra motor should do ok. that car is harldy something someone would drive off the lot.

:zzz: :rofl:

240droptop
05-28-2005, 11:58 AM

I'm not so sure about this one of the bigeest problems with Drifitng in america was the lack of suport of sponsoerships etc I think the more we start to see a few demestics drifting it will be better off for the industry what better way to get americans interested in the sport then by using the car best known as "American Muscle" its jsut one more way for both Ford and Drfiting to gain support