PDA

View Full Version : Before they got banned BWHAHAHA

Mikko
01-13-2003, 10:52 PM
http://digilander.libero.it/jhonplayerspecial/peugeot/205/newfoto/205grb.zip

A series of clips from the mid 1980's, of the PEUGEOT 205 T16 Group B rally car.

It had between 230-450 hp, something like 900kg, faaar smaller than todays civic. Oh yeah, and the engine was mounted rear, and of course All wheel drive. Bwhahahahahahahahah! MAD MAD MAD! There's a Group B porsche in there too.

Spectator safety wasn't what it is now either :rofl:

RickDaTuner
01-13-2003, 11:48 PM
Crazzy Video I waish I could Drive like that

4wheeldrift
01-14-2003, 08:05 AM
It's too bad lancia never got a chance to run the S4, that car would have been a total beast

Mikko
01-14-2003, 08:51 AM
They did run it, for an entire season, or nearly an entire season. Henri Toivionen and Sergio Cresto did die in the lead works Lancia Delta S4, but it was during the summer San Remo rally. I have several pictures of the S4 in rallies around the world.

I think it would be a rather similar sight to the other group B monsters..

yakish
01-14-2003, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
Crazzy Video I waish I could Drive like that
at least you can try:banghead:

Ralliart
01-14-2003, 09:17 AM
The Group B Rally Cars had closer to 500-700hp, In 86 or 87 When the Killer "B" 's ran at Spa I think it was, their lap times would have been quick enough to qualify 6th of that years forumla 1 race :nut: Believe it or not WRC cars actually run quicker stage times now then the B's because tire technology has improved so much:thumbsup: which is pretty evident if you watched those clips :werd:

Mikko
01-14-2003, 09:39 AM
I'm not certain. I read at ONE place that they are as fast now if there are enough courves, and another said that they are now finally 'approaching' the speeds they had back then.

Improvements in suspension, brakes, tyres, active differentials.. but you can still see that the 205 T16 takes off from hairpins into 100 in just 2 and a half second max.

Also remember, rear engined and 300kg lighter than WRC cars.

Ralliart
01-14-2003, 04:29 PM
I agree the overall especially acceleration that Group B's are quicker, The stage times I saw that were quicker for WRC were Monte Carlo in Particular, on the twisty traction limited stages.

I think if you took the same concept of the B's with todays technology, you would have and amazing car :burnout: :burnout:

Mikko
01-14-2003, 04:46 PM
lol.. imagine unregulated pro-rallying. It would be rather sick.. M-AWD, 700hp, active chassis, the best of everything, except safety.

4wheeldrift
01-15-2003, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Ralliart
The Group B Rally Cars had closer to 500-700hp, In 86 or 87 When the Killer "B" 's ran at Spa I think it was, their lap times would have been quick enough to qualify 6th of that years forumla 1 race :nut: Believe it or not WRC cars actually run quicker stage times now then the B's because tire technology has improved so much:thumbsup: which is pretty evident if you watched those clips :werd: They actually ran the portugal circuit. Henri Toivonen turned out a lap time in the Lancia Delta that would have qualified him in 3rd on the F1 grid for that year.

Its not just tires, the whole cars have improved. Chassis development is a big part of the WRC, suspension technology is leaps and bound ahead of where it was, and who can forget everyones favorite incredient: active driveline :D The current crop of WRC class machines is equal in performance to what was out there at the high point of the Group B era (which is appropriate, since if you look at it the WRC class machines sit somewhere between Group B and the stillborn group S rules). The technology has just advanced so much over the years.