PDA

View Full Version : Anyone build model cars on here?

01-14-2003, 12:50 AM
If any one does do u have any pics?

T5_X
01-14-2003, 01:09 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8697

scroll down to my post :)

ramminghard
01-14-2003, 01:29 AM
Not in quite a while but they are a great way to pass the time.

Ferio_vti
01-14-2003, 01:33 AM
I'm in the process of putting some together, 5 on the list to be exact. Not having an airbrush sux. Anyone have an airbrush/compressor I could borrow??

T5_X
01-14-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by Ferio_vti
I'm in the process of putting some together, 5 on the list to be exact. Not having an airbrush sux. Anyone have an airbrush/compressor I could borrow??

I have some propellant you can have if you want. I never use my airbrush anymore, everything I need is found at auto value :)

What do you paint the bodies with? Mine goes 3-5 coats primer, ~5 coats paint, 2-3 coats clear coat. I cut it down with medium cut meguires then fine cut turtle wax, and put a super hard shell of turtle wax.

Dave P
01-14-2003, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by Ranger_X31

I have some propellant you can have if you want. I never use my airbrush anymore, everything I need is found at auto value :)

What do you paint the bodies with? Mine goes 3-5 coats primer, ~5 coats paint, 2-3 coats clear coat. I cut it down with medium cut meguires then fine cut turtle wax, and put a super hard shell of turtle wax.

That gets treated better then my real car haha

DAVE P

LUDELVR
01-14-2003, 05:38 AM
I have about 10-13 unfinished ones and about a dozen more in a box. I want to get rid of these things! Any takers? If so, you could prolly use a bunch of the other parts and build some funky ass hybrids.

Horatio
01-14-2003, 10:09 AM
I've probably got 25 or 30 kits waiting for me to get off my ass and work on them. Lots of finished ones that I did when I was younger and a couple that I've done more recently that I'm more proud of.

Should get back into it one of these days but not having a good, permanent bench set up really bites.

Ludelvr: what kits do you have laying around?

Greg

01-14-2003, 12:36 PM
LUDELVR: check your pm i wnat some of yours!

01-14-2003, 12:37 PM
Heres some of mine!

01-14-2003, 12:40 PM
180sx

01-14-2003, 12:43 PM
crx, has a wings west front bumper, integra rear, mouldeddoors, door handles, gas cap, custom built and moulded spoiler.lowered.

01-14-2003, 12:43 PM
wings west front

jdmakkord
01-14-2003, 12:46 PM
looking good devon
I'll have to get pics of mine soon

If anyone has extra wheels kicking around, I need a different set for my type r

Dirty Sanchez
01-14-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by LUDELVR
I have about 10-13 unfinished ones and about a dozen more in a box. I want to get rid of these things! Any takers? If so, you could prolly use a bunch of the other parts and build some funky ass hybrids.

Which ones do you have list them. IF they are fujimi or Tamiya?
If so how much?

Hipermax_d
01-14-2003, 06:29 PM
heres my nsx.
i actually took time with it and it turned out good

http://dolls4you.net/option2/mobil_model.jpg

outsider
01-14-2003, 09:46 PM
180882 that is the niced crx model i have ever seen. i haven't worked on my models for a long time. i've got two crx's but i did them when i was only 14 so i didn't take the time to work on them. 180882 you need to tell me how you did all the work to the car.

veedub
01-14-2003, 09:59 PM
i love toy cars i have quite a few..... but no pics:(

where can u get rims tho i know pms has some but mostly junky ones

LUDELVR
01-14-2003, 11:01 PM
I listed all the cars that I have in the marketplace. They are all either 1:24 or 1:25 scale and they will need to be redone.

D'z Nutz
01-14-2003, 11:15 PM
One problem I had when I used to do model cars, when I tried painting a light color on plastic that's dark (ie: white or yellow paint on a car that comes in black plastic), you can still see the original color underneath the paint once it's dried. Any suggestions how to get around that? I have an old porsche model I'd love to do in white, but the plastic color is like dark blue :banghead:

Ferio_vti
01-14-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
One problem I had when I used to do model cars, when I tried painting a light color on plastic that's dark (ie: white or yellow paint on a car that comes in black plastic), you can still see the original color underneath the paint once it's dried. Any suggestions how to get around that? I have an old porsche model I'd love to do in white, but the plastic color is like dark blue :banghead:

Start with primer. Prime lightly, sand, repeat until surface is nice and smooth and plastic color doesn't show through

Ferio_vti
01-15-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Ranger_X31

Propellant?? You mean those 'in can' sort of sprays.
What equipment are you talking about at AutoValue?? I'm assuming a compressor. So you rent there for free whenever you need. I'll have to look into that.

As for bodies. I've tried a few with out primer, ie color onto white plastic works fine. As for cutting and wax, I've never tried that before. I'll have to test that out this year.
Do you sand between all coats??

CRXguy
01-15-2003, 12:52 AM
That's a sweet looking CRX! Great job. :thumbsup:

T5_X
01-15-2003, 01:39 AM
Propellant?? You mean those 'in can' sort of sprays

yep, got some left over you can have if you want

What equipment are you talking about at AutoValue?? I'm assuming a compressor. So you rent there for free whenever you need. I'll have to look into that.

Shit no! Spray cans are the way to go. Just look on the modeling forum on AF, most of the best modelers there just use spray cans.

As for bodies. I've tried a few with out primer, ie color onto white plastic works fine.

Primer ensures a higher quality coat, and will show you where to sand down imperfections. A good reason I use it is because if you want to strip the paint off afterwards, say with CSC, it will dissolve the primer underneath and the paint will slide off. Automotive paints, howver, when applied directly to the plastic will etch in and be impossible to remove without acetone, which will warp the plastic of the body.

As for cutting and wax, I've never tried that before. I'll have to test that out this year.

See that you do! Cutting compound gets rid of that ugly orange peel. You'll get a mirror like finish after cutting it down in steps then putting wax on, also really brings out metallic colors. If I have really pesky orange peel, like what dupicolor paints usually leave behind, I'll sand with 1500 grit before cutting down with medium cut.

Do you sand between all coats??
Only after the final coat of primer, which I'll bring up to 600-800 grit. The primer shows imperfections in the plastic, and smoothing it out a little will still give your paint a nice smooth finish, but will be sufficiently coarse for paint to bind. Its not necessary between aany other coats unless you fuck up somewhere (which does tend to happen quite a bit ;))

Ferio_vti
01-15-2003, 01:03 PM
Hey,
thanks for the advice.
I've never used anything but spray cans so far, so I guess I'll stick to it. I never saw the need to use an airbrush anyways. How much is paint at Auto value??
What do use for painting small parts?? I pretty happy with Tamiya paints, and hand painting small parts.

I'll probably bother you some more for advice later on.

Thanks.

T5_X
01-15-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Ferio_vti
Hey,
thanks for the advice.
I've never used anything but spray cans so far, so I guess I'll stick to it. I never saw the need to use an airbrush anyways. How much is paint at Auto value??
What do use for painting small parts?? I pretty happy with Tamiya paints, and hand painting small parts.

I'll probably bother you some more for advice later on.

Thanks.

Paint at auto value is cheap. I always get the big cans of truck van and suv paint. Should be around 7 bucks a can i think. A lot of people use tamiya spray cans, but they're just too expensive for me, and they're tiny little cans. Automotive paint is less forgiving, but once you practice a lot it looks fine. Plus you get an absolutly enormous range of colors (especially metallics)

For small parts, I try and spray whatever I can, otherwise tamiya brush paints can't be beat. Their acrylics look better than most other companies' enamels. Tamiya is like the toyota of the modeling world, incredible quality in all thier products :D

Feel free to ask me anything you want, but I'm only an intermediate modeler in many categories, there are lots of advanced modelers on the modeling forum on automotive forums. Check it out, they're really friendly and have an excellent FAQ.

01-16-2003, 03:20 AM
Thanks everyone for the props on the crx, it took alot of time and work to make it like that!

Outsider, most of the work was done with bondo, and sand paper, a couple of coats of primer and tons of pearl white paint, 2 coats of clear!

I'll get better pics when i get my other camera back!

i wanna see pics of everyone elses

mrmattyk
01-16-2003, 01:59 PM
I've got a Skyline GT-R (R34) Model barely assembled.
It was 40 bucks, but I am willing to give it away for like 20 bucks. I just dont have the patience for models any more. PM me if interested..

It's a Tamiya model so it's damn nice

guitardemon
01-16-2003, 05:40 PM
prime the car first with white or light gray primer and then try it