PDA

View Full Version : Automotive Services at SAIT

dooman24
05-23-2005, 01:07 AM
i got into automotive services at sait.. just wondering how that class is? it's a 2 year program.. but to be a mechanic it usually takes a 4 year appretenship right? but at said.. after 2 years do you get your mechanic certificate or something? so what's going on ? how come sait's only 2 years?

Ichigo
05-23-2005, 09:31 AM
That's what they say.. but If you calculated it out you only save on the technical training.. so in reality you only save 3-6 months.. maybe less..

method
05-23-2005, 06:31 PM
you'll go back to doing oil changes and regular maintenance at most shops after doing it.

it's still a good program though, I work with a guy who went through it and he knows his shit.

dooman24
05-23-2005, 06:43 PM
argh.. wtf's sait for then.. what's the best way to be a mechanic?

Ichigo
05-24-2005, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by dooman24
argh.. wtf's sait for then.. what's the best way to be a mechanic?

It's a better way to get your foot in the door.. However I'm pretty sure you can go and apply to a dealer.

ups about sait: You've got a background and can apply it
: You save some shop time for your apprenticehship

Downs: $$$$$

ups about going to a shop: You can see what it's like in the real world. And decide weather or not you want to be a mechanic.
And you make some money.. ^_^

When I took the course it was very informative = good
However after I went to work for a dealer I didnt want to be a mechanic anymore. Just wasn't my cup of tea.. But I did finish off my 2 year program since I was already half in to it.
I'd say the experience and knowledge gained there is excellent.

AllGoNoShow
05-24-2005, 11:29 AM
I'm going through a shop right now, should be starting sometime this summer with my blue book hopefully, depends I guess but yah, its a good idea to even get your first year in at a shop or dealership and see if you like it, if you do then goto SAIT and continue or continue through that shop/dealership and get it, Atleast that way you won't spend $$$$ to figure out you don't like it and it was a waste of your time.

e_racer
05-24-2005, 11:31 AM
are you in the AST program or apprentice program ? I was in the AST program. pm me if you want more info about it.