PDA

View Full Version : Spotted Mazdaspeed protege.

Hollywood
01-14-2003, 09:54 AM
I was driving beside a mazdaspeed proteges man they are a pretty nice looking car. Kinda resembles an EVO a little. Plus that orange paint is actually looks real good. You could also tell that the suspension was tight, when the car went over bumps it was doing tight bounces. The car has a little bit of everything...turbo, suspension, wheels, ground effects and a cool little spoiler, and better than stock stereo. I usally don't see many nice cars on my way into work....so this was kinda nice.

I feel sorry for anyone that bought an MP3, and was hoping that their car would hold value because of low production. The mazdaspeed is the new king of proteges.

buh_buh
01-14-2003, 10:32 AM
yea I think I've seen probably 5 or 6 of them. Everytime they've been going the other way tho.... haha. too bad.

m@+CH
01-14-2003, 10:46 AM
I didn't know they were gonna have any sold in Calgary!!!
nice nice
the boast on the turbo is way too modest
a lil fixin up for that car, can make that car fly

turboMiata
01-14-2003, 11:45 AM
Nice car, but I wish it came in a different colour. Like BLUE!

buh_buh
01-14-2003, 11:45 AM
haha, I think they do have them in blue.

bigboom
01-14-2003, 11:53 AM
i think they only come in orange for now and then they are releasing silver and yellow one in the spring...the only blue one they have had so far is the MP3.

but that orange looks pretty sweet...it has a nice little shimmer to it

Hollywood
01-14-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by bigboom
i think they only come in orange for now and then they are releasing silver and yellow one in the spring...the only blue one they have had so far is the MP3.

but that orange looks pretty sweet...it has a nice little shimmer to it

Ya the paint has a golden orange pearl to it when you look up close you can really notice it.

Mazda did good.

02 Civic SIR, not good enough.
02 Nissan specV not good enough.
02 SVT Focus, Not sure yet.

It's kinda funny we as auto enthusiasts know what we want as a generalization of performace compact. But mostly manufactors have no clue, then they wonder why the sales figures are not as good as they should be. Why? Because they need people like us in the engineering of these vehicles not a suit. They think if the give a car 180HP that it should sell.....it takes more than 180hp to convice prospective shoppers like us. It the whole design of the car, how it performs, and of course reliability. Mazda was smart, they said "well we need to make this car perform and look different", but to perfom means to add parts that are not in the typical mazda parts line up. So what do they do? Well instead of creating the new parts themselfs they turn to performance designers/manufactorers which is key.

Bottom line is people want turbo.........Hello anyone listening?

*cough*
Neon SRT-4
*cough*
*cough

ninjak84
01-14-2003, 03:47 PM
Everyone wants different things out of a car though.
Not everyone wants a car to put a turbo on it and get a sweet set of rims. We're in the minority of car owners.
I won't be surprised if the MazdaSpeed Protoge sells like crap, because no one really gives a damn if it comes with RH rims, or a cool ground effects kit. Sure the people that read Import Tuner may like it, but Mazda won't make any money off of them.

Hollywood
01-14-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by ninjak84
Everyone wants different things out of a car though.
Not everyone wants a car to put a turbo on it and get a sweet set of rims. We're in the minority of car owners.

Are we? I don't think so. These days young and middle aged people want good looks and speed. If you ever notice any of the special compacts have limited or low production number, specifically to appeal at us, the target market.

Originally posted by ninjak84
[B]I won't be surprised if the MazdaSpeed Protoge sells like crap, because no one really gives a damn if it comes with RH rims, or a cool ground effects kit. Sure the people that read Import Tuner may like it, but Mazda won't make any money off of them.

Really? Most of the MP3's were sold b4 even going on the lot. You can have your cheezy stock nissan rims....When someone can have RH's.

There is nothing ricy about about the Mazdaspeed for any reference to import tuner.

Thanks.

ecstasyracer
01-14-2003, 04:42 PM
Mazda's not really trying to make any money off these cars. Its basically an image booster. They are being sold in very limited production. They are not going to have any trouble selling them all, I think they are very hard to get.

cocoabrova
01-14-2003, 04:44 PM
I think the carmakers are trying to break into a market that has beem booming for a long time, WITHOUT factory support. The MazdaSpeed is a decent attempt at trying to win over "newbie" enthusiasts wanting to get in on the action. But personally, if was going to buy a new car, I'd go for the Neon SR-T *puts on flame suit*:rofl: At 215hp stock and priced comparatively/lower than any other factory-juiced SCC available, you can't go wrong. I actually like the look of the SR-T too (when they're lowered..lol) so it's not just because of the power:thumbsup: As for MazdaSpeed sales, obviously they've all been sold because they were a limited production model for this year, but I heard next year it will be part of the normal lineup.....

ecstasyracer
01-14-2003, 04:48 PM
At 215hp stock and priced comparatively/lower than any other factory-juiced SCC available
A lot more than that. 223hp at the wheels and 205ft/lbs. There
is no way that its 215 at the flywheel.

CRXguy
01-14-2003, 04:48 PM
I was pretty close to buying an MP3 last year, but the one left on the lot at was a demo! And get this, $29,500! Fucking mother-bitches!!!:thumbsdow

Fast forward to Sep.2002. Put a deposit down, and was told that I'd be taking delivery of the MazdaSpeed the first week of October. Time came, still no car. Why? They blamed it on the dock strike, and one of the turbo components didn't fit or something.:dunno:

It would've been about $30,xxx all said and done. Changed my mind and got a WRX instead for a bit more money! No regrets.

Originally posted by Hollywood
I feel sorry for anyone that bought an MP3, and was hoping that their car would hold value because of low production. The mazdaspeed is the new king of proteges.

This was my other reason. A month or so after I put the deposit down, there were rumors of a second batch of MazdaSpeed's coming out. E-mailed Mazda of Canada, and they said it was true! That pissed me off even more. Limited editions my ass!

bigboom
01-14-2003, 04:54 PM
yeah i hate when they sell things as a limited edition and it turns out to be not so limited.

i ended up with a spec and even though it has "cheezy stock nissan rims" i still love it and from what i have been hearing all mazda really did was throw on a turbo onto stock protege es(i think) internals. besides the Rh rims and whatnot

Nix87
01-14-2003, 05:58 PM
There a pretty kick ass car..be able to get a good look at it tommorrow as im meetin up with a friend who drives..maybe i'll even get to take it for a spin :D

Nick

Hipermax_d
01-14-2003, 06:04 PM
is it really turbod??
my friends sister has a mp3. it was alright. needs a tad more power

Hollywood
01-14-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by bigboom
i ended up with a spec and even though it has "cheezy stock nissan rims"

I was quoting stock 240 hatchback wheels, ninja owna a 240 hatch.

Nothing wrong with specV wheels. Just the car has reliability issues.

szw
01-14-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood

Nothing wrong with specV wheels. Just the car has reliability issues.

knock on wood...

bigboom what colour is yours?

bigboom
01-15-2003, 12:50 AM
yeah...the reliability part scares me i agree with you there szw.

im not familiar with the 240 stock wheels but i quite like my 17's a little heavy but yeah i do agree those RH rims are pretty hot.

i got a silver spec...just like everyone else (sigh) hahah