01-14-2003, 03:10 PM
MURDERED!!!
http://www.fluidicdigital.com/www/misc%20images/lost-forever.jpg

A man in Grand Rapids, Michigan incredibly took out a 7,000 US full page ad
in the paper to present the true story of “HOW COULD YOU?”

----------------------------

How Could You?
By Jim Willis, 2001 of Michigan

When I was a puppy, I entertained you with my antics and made you laugh. You called me your child, and despite a number of chewed shoes and a couple of murdered throw pillows, I became your best friend. ...

Whenever I was "bad," you'd shake your finger at me and ask "How could you?"
-- but then you'd relent and roll me over for a belly rub.

My housebreaking took a little longer than expected, because you were terribly busy, but we worked on that together. I remember those nights of nuzzling you in bed and listening to your confidences and secret dreams, and
I believed that life could not be any more perfect.

We went for long walks and runs in the park, car rides, stops for ice cream
(I only got the cone because "ice cream is bad for dogs" you said), and I took long naps in the sun waiting for you to come home at the end of the day.

Gradually, you began spending more time at work and on your career, and more time searching for a human mate. I waited for you patiently, comforted you through heartbreaks and disappointments, never chided you about bad decisions, and romped with glee at your homecomings, and when you fell in love.

She, now your wife, is not a "dog person" -- still I welcomed her into our home, tried to show her affection, and obeyed her. I was happy because you were happy.

Then the human babies came along and I shared your excitement. I was fascinated by their pinkness, how they smelled, and I wanted to mother them, too. Only she and you worried that I might hurt them, and I spent most of my time banished to another room, or to a dog crate. Oh, how I wanted to love them, but I became a prisoner of love."

As they began to grow, I became their friend. They clung to my fur and pulled themselves up on wobbly legs, poked fingers in my eyes, investigated my ears, and gave me kisses on my nose. I loved everything about them and their touch -- because your touch was now so infrequent -- and I would've defended them with my life if need be. I would sneak into their beds and listen to their worries and secret dreams, and together we waited for the sound of your car in the driveway.

There had been a time, when others asked you if you had a dog, that you produced a photo of me from your wallet and told them stories about me. These past few years, you just answered "yes" and changed the subject. I had gone from being "your dog" to "just a dog," and you resented every expenditure on my behalf.

Now, you have a new career opportunity in another city, and you and they will be moving to an apartment that does not allow pets. You've made the right decision for your "family," but there was a time when I was your only family.

I was excited about the car ride until we arrived at the animal shelter. It smelled of dogs and cats, of fear, of hopelessness. You filled out the paperwork and said "I know you will find a good home for her." They shrugged and gave you a pained look. They understand the realities facing a middle-aged dog, even one with "papers."

You had to pry your son's fingers loose from my collar as he screamed, "No, Daddy! Please don't let them take my dog!" And I worried for him, and what lessons you had just taught him about friendship and loyalty, about love and responsibility, and about respect for all life.

You gave me a good-bye pat on the head, avoided my eyes, and politely refused to take my collar and leash with you. You had a deadline to meet and now I have one, too. After you left, the two nice ladies said you probably knew about your upcoming move months ago and made no attempt to find me another good home. They shook their heads and asked "How could you?"

They are as attentive to us here in the shelter as their busy schedules allow. They feed us, of course, but I lost my appetite days ago.

At first, whenever anyone passed my pen, I rushed to the front, hoping it was you that you had changed your mind -- that this was all a bad dream... or I hoped it would at least be someone who cared, anyone who might save me.

When I realized I could not compete with the frolicking for attention of happy puppies, oblivious to their own fate, I retreated to a far corner and waited. I heard her footsteps as she came for me at the end of the day, and I padded along the aisle after her to a separate room. A blissfully quiet room.

She placed me on the table and rubbed my ears, and told me not to worry. My heart pounded in anticipation of what was to come, but there was also a sense of relief. The prisoner of love had run out of days.

As is my nature, I was more concerned about her. The burden which she bears weighs heavily on her, and I know that, the same way I knew your every mood.

She gently placed a tourniquet around my foreleg as a tear ran down her cheek. I licked her hand in the same way I used to comfort you so many years ago.

She expertly slid the hypodermic needle into my vein. As I felt the sting and the cool liquid coursing through my body, I lay down sleepily, looked into her kind eyes and murmured "How could you?"

Perhaps because she understood my dogspeak, she said "I'm so sorry." She hugged me, and hurriedly explained it was her job to make sure I went to a better place, where I wouldn't be ignored or abused or abandoned, or have to fend for myself --a place of love and light so very different from this earthly place.

And with my last bit of energy, I tried to convey to her with a thump of my tail that my "How could you?" was not directed at her. It was directed at you, My Beloved Master, I was thinking of you. I will think of you and wait for you forever. May everyone in your life continue to show you so much loyalty.

A Note from the Author:

If "How Could You?" brought tears to your eyes as you read it, as it did to mine as I wrote it, it is because it is the composite story of the millions of formerly "owned" pets who die each year in American and Canadian animal shelters. Tell the public that the decision to add a pet to the family is an important one for life, that animals deserve our love and sensible care, that finding another appropriate home for your animal is your responsibility and any local humane society or animal welfare league can offer you good advice, and that all life is precious. Please do your part to stop the killing, and encourage all spay and neuter campaigns in order to prevent unwanted animals.

Jim Willis

Fluidic
01-14-2003, 03:11 PM
Guys, don't just shrug this off by saying something careless and un-thoughtful like "too long for me too read, someone summarize" or something along those lines.

Think about this. Seriously, think about it.

T5_X
01-14-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Fluidic Digital
Guys, don't just shrug this off by saying something careless and un-thoughtful like "too long for me too read, someone summarize" or something along those lines.

Think about this. Seriously, think about it.

:werd:

That was a good portrayal of what happens too often with pets. Its not like dogs have the cognitive ability to think like a human, but this story does a good job of getting its message across powerfully. All life is precious. Caring for a pet is a responsibility you should be 100% sure you can provide until thier natural life is over, if you doubt that, then don't buy the animal!

I think the saddest story is what happens with parrots. Few of the people who buy these birds will take care of them properly until thier natural life is over, most are abandoned, and since the lifespan of these birds may exceed 70 years, many of them will outlive thier owners. There is so much wrong with the pet trade, its very sad.

Thx peter

Davetronz
01-14-2003, 03:33 PM
Im upset now :(
:(
Dammit, and I want a puppy!

kevie88
01-14-2003, 03:36 PM
No offence, but I don't get it...

I'm gonna go get a huge ass steak for dinner, what's the difference? Because that animal has a name I should give it more thought than the cow out in some farmers field that's about to get slaughtered?

Just my .02, I'm not trying to upset you or call this post stupid, it just seems to me that we have some strange views of life as humans.. one is worthless, the other invaluable.

Fluidic
01-14-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by TurboDSM

Exactly the kind of thing the author above is describing. It's sad, very sad.

ninjak84
01-14-2003, 03:42 PM

Exactly the kind of thing the author above is describing. It's sad, very sad.

And depressing. I don't like the article at all.
The only people it will affect, are the ones that would never do that to an animal.
The author won't convince anyone, because the people doing that to dogs won't change their minds over some article.
Too bad this guy wasted $7,000.

Fluidic
01-14-2003, 03:46 PM
You read it didn't you?

ninjak84
01-14-2003, 03:48 PM
You read it didn't you?

Sure did.

Fluidic
01-14-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by ninjak84

Sure did.

That's good. One step closer to a more literate Canada.

James
01-14-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by ninjak84

And depressing. I don't like the article at all.
The only people it will affect, are the ones that would never do that to an animal.
The author won't convince anyone, because the people doing that to dogs won't change their minds over some article.
Too bad this guy wasted $7,000.

:werd:....I was gonna say something, but now im blank.

ninjak84
01-14-2003, 04:00 PM

That's good. One step closer to a more literate Canada.

Hey man, I have a dog, and I'm sure no one gives up their animal cause they want it to die.
But one of my good friends had to give up her dog, and it wasn't her choice. She had to do it. I went with her to the pound, and it was the worst experience ever. But people do that because of hope, they hope that someone will give the animal a good home. Just because you can't provide for it, doesn't mean someone else can't.

You just can't abandon hope in today's world.

szw
01-14-2003, 04:01 PM
I don't really like the article either. I agree with what he says though.

However the story probably won't change a lot of minds when the time comes to make that decision.

If they are already making that decision, then they
A) Agree with the article, but since they are already at that point, it must be a pretty good reason (at least in their mind)
or
B) don't have a good reason, in which case, they wouldn't have given a shit about the article anyways.

Anyways his heart was in the right place so...

kevie88
01-14-2003, 04:14 PM
moo-dered!!
http://www.vtliving.com/cow/brncows.gif

and damn tasty. Welcome to double standard central.

mrmattyk
01-14-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by TurboDSM
Im upset now :(
:(

I know you mean well Dave, but it's better to adopt an older dog because everyone wants a puppy and the older pets get left out [much like in the story]. It's better that way because the pet comes pretty much trained, and you are saving a pet's life.

No one understands, a pet is a responsibility.

Also to prevent this problem, spay and neuter your pets..

Good post Pete

James
01-14-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by kevie88
moo-dered!!
http://www.vtliving.com/cow/brncows.gif

and damn tasty. Welcome to double standard central.

you do have a point.....but im pretty sure most people would classify Dogs, Cats etc.. different from Cows..they dont exactly make the best house pets
:rolleyes:

Fluidic
01-14-2003, 04:20 PM
Kevie eats his pets... like his dogs and cats... so I guess he can compare them to cows or pigs.

Hakkola
01-14-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by mrmattyk

I know you mean well Dave, but it's better to adopt an older dog because everyone wants a puppy and the older pets get left out [much like in the story]. It's better that way because the pet comes pretty much trained, and you are saving a pet's life.

No one understands, a pet is a responsibility.

Also to prevent this problem, spay and neuter your pets..

Good post Pete

I don't think many people want old to get old dogs, too many problems, so what if it's housebroken, you get attached when it's gonna die soon, that's why people want newborn pets, you have them for their entire life, not just the end of it.

We might be getting a dog, we'll probably get a young one.

James
01-14-2003, 04:29 PM
Kevie eats his pets... like his dogs and cats... so I guess he can compare them to cows or pigs.

Don't have to get all emotional there pete. :rolleyes: ...Face it, some people are compasionate towards animals, some arnt..and sometimes it fades in a person, like in this Case in the Article...not much will change that.....I Would never even think about giving up my Cats, they have been a part of my life for the last 10 years...but some people think my Cats should be Served in a Restaurant, and nothing more than that. Im not about to change those people opinions.

mrmattyk
01-14-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

I don't think many people want old to get old dogs, too many problems, so what if it's housebroken, you get attached when it's gonna die soon, that's why people want newborn pets, you have them for their entire life, not just the end of it.

We might be getting a dog, we'll probably get a young one.

I am not talking about a pet who is terminal. I am saying 1-4 years old. :thumbsup:

Fluidic
01-14-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by James
Don't have to get all emotional there pete

I am far from upset, I am merely concerned. Let's leave it at that. :)

Peter

kevie88
01-14-2003, 04:48 PM

I don't mean to make you mad, it's just that things like this don't make sense to me.. why does one deserve to live more than the other? Because it's 'cuter?' Because you've known it for longer?

I have known people who've had pigs as pets, and their a very intelligent animal, very loving and trainable. I still like pork. To be honest, if I ever travelled to a country that had dog or cat on the menu, I'd probably try it.

*edit*- I'm not directing this argument at you, Pete.. just offering a counter point.

Fluidic
01-14-2003, 05:05 PM
No worries dude. Nothing to get mad over. I can't control what you think.

Peace

kevie88
01-14-2003, 05:13 PM
I'm not in the least upset either. The first time I read that article I was upset and disturbed by it too, but I forced myself to think of it in a little different context.

Fluidic
01-14-2003, 05:17 PM
:)

redec
01-14-2003, 05:52 PM
it's just a dog....

Fluidic
01-14-2003, 11:54 PM
To you

redec
01-15-2003, 12:47 AM
To you

and in reality....any way you try to bend it....it's still just a dog

Ben
01-15-2003, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by redec

and in reality....any way you try to bend it....it's still just a dog

there are 6 billion people on this earth, were only human.:thumbsup:

Ajay
01-15-2003, 02:01 AM
It may be "just a dog" but it's still a part of someone's life and family. Would you take one of your kid's to a shelter if the apartment you were moving into was only a 2 bedroom apartment and you had two kids?! No I'm pretty sure you wouldn't....unless you're seriously FUCKED UP!

But that article sheds some light onto what actually happens at numerous animal shelters around the world and I'm sure right here in Calgary. I want to get myself a dog this summer and the first place I'm going to go is the SPCA but I know I'll be depressed leaving there knowing that alot of those animals probably won't see the outside of their kennels for very much longer.

It may be "just a dog" but it's still a living, breathing, compassionate, and caring being.

szw
01-15-2003, 02:16 AM
Would you take one of your kid's to a shelter if the apartment you were moving into was only a 2 bedroom apartment and you had two kids?! No I'm pretty sure you wouldn't....unless you're seriously FUCKED UP!

If you had no choice because you can't afford a bigger apartment, would you move in and leave the dog, or stay where you are and make your children's lives suffer?

I love dogs, I have 3 of them, and I can't imagine ever having to give them up. But there are situations where there are no viable alternatives.

Would you give your car up if it would somehow save the life of your brother? What about the kid across the street?

Now woudl you still give up your car to save the life of a dog across the street?

Ajay
01-15-2003, 02:57 AM
I just know I would never ever take my animal to a shelter if I was ever in that situation.

Give the dog to a family member or to a neighbor or something but why take the dog to a shelter so it can be put down? What a waste.

James
01-15-2003, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by szw

Would you give your car up if it would somehow save the life of your brother? What about the kid across the street?

Now woudl you still give up your car to save the life of a dog across the street?

Very good analogy....got a point there.

mwmhong
01-15-2003, 09:33 AM
The interests of humans override the interests of their pets.

"That's just the way it is. Some things will never change. That's just the way it is." :(

___2PaC___
01-15-2003, 02:41 PM
:thumbsdown:

Ben
01-15-2003, 03:03 PM
Would you give your car up if it would somehow save the life of your brother? Yes (sister I dont have a bro)

What about the kid across the street? Yes

Now would you still give up your car to save the life of a dog across the street? No.

kevie88
01-15-2003, 03:31 PM
Yeah, the car's just going too far!! :rofl: