PDA

View Full Version : Subaru WRX

Skyline_Addict
05-24-2005, 02:52 AM
Any WRX owners/drivers on beyond? Just wanted to hear some personal feedback about the car. Looking at this generation. The car has amazing performance and I thought it'd be good to hear about some first hand experiences with the car as I am interested in it and plan to get one in the future.

Thanks

Skyline_Addict
05-24-2005, 03:57 AM
I just read up a thread about how it is cheaper to import them from the states (STi)...same thing with the WRX? Is that a big hassle...worth going through to save the money?

dam_guy
05-24-2005, 04:16 AM
a fellow employee of mine imported a wrx from the states that he purchased off ebay.
gotta say, it’s cheaper, but not a bargain. unless you want to deal with paper work, and most likely try to find a way to ship it to the border then pick it up from there, i’d suggest you look locally or at least somewhere that’s within canada.

pitwipe
05-24-2005, 09:13 AM
I've had my 05 WRX for about a month now, and I love it. Even stock this car has amazing performance. The interior is sharp and well thought out.

If I had to point out any flaws... hmmm, well I got some wind noise through the drivers window at 210kph, and I have some difficulty power shifting from 2nd to 3rd... but that's probably my technique that needs improving rather than a fault with the car.

Take one for a test drive... you won't be dissappointed.
The WRX also has tonnes of potential when it come to performance modding. A few bolt ons will increase HP significantly. Stock HP is 227, an after-market exhaust and ECU reflash will get you up to 285, giving virtually Sti performance (cuz the WRX is lighter) for $15,000 less than the Sti.

benyl
05-24-2005, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by pitwipe

The WRX also has tonnes of potential when it come to performance modding. A few bolt ons will increase HP significantly. Stock HP is 227, an after-market exhaust and ECU reflash will get you up to 285, giving virtually Sti performance (cuz the WRX is lighter) for $15,000 less than the Sti.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That is until your transmission breaks from all the power shifting. The suspension is different, the drivetrain is different, etc... power isn't everything.

go to: www.nasioc.com and all your questions will be answered.

heavyD
05-24-2005, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by benyl
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That is until your transmission breaks from all the power shifting.

I see someone needing a rebuit transmission in the future. The 5-speed tranny is the weak spot of the WRX. Not a good idea powershifting a glass transmission. :nut:

EK 2.0
05-24-2005, 09:32 AM
If I had to point out any flaws... hmmm, well I got some wind noise through the drivers window at 210kph, and I have some difficulty power shifting from 2nd to 3rd...

Stock HP is 227, an after-market exhaust and ECU reflash will get you up to 285, giving virtually Sti performance (cuz the WRX is lighter) for $15,000 less than the Sti.

what are you doing at 210??...:rolleyes:

and when it comes time to stop with your "Virtual STI Performance" how are you going to do that from 210 without those sexy Brembos??

pitwipe
05-24-2005, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by benyl

That is until your transmission breaks from all the power shifting. The suspension is different, the drivetrain is different, etc... power isn't everything.

Oh yeah, agreed. The Sti is a superior animal, but that stronger tranny and suspension etc cost an extra $15,000 in Canada... and that seems a little on the pricey side to me.

benyl
05-24-2005, 09:51 AM

Oh yeah, agreed. The Sti is a superior animal, but that stronger tranny and suspension etc cost an extra $15,000 in Canada... and that seems a little on the pricey side to me.

you got to pay to play.

If you were to go after market and get similar bits and pieces, it might cost a couple grand less. But you lose factory warrantee.

pitwipe
05-24-2005, 09:57 AM
And as I said in my first post on this thread, the WRX has amazing performance even in stock condition. So leave it stock (as mine is) and enjoy it as is!

I mentioned the modding because it does have excellent potential. The North American WRX has 4 cats in the exhaust system which choke its power back.

benyl
05-24-2005, 10:43 AM
The North American WRX has 4 cats in the exhaust system which choke its power back.

You may want to do some research on your car.

The WRX only has 3 cats. 2 in the downpipe and one in the up pipe. The STi has 2 in the downpipe.

You may be mistaking the resonator in the midpipe as a cat.

Sorath
05-24-2005, 11:26 AM
terence if u go testdriving one, call me we'll go together : )

That.Guy.S30
05-24-2005, 11:42 AM
I've had my 05 WRX for about a month now, and I love it. Even stock this car has amazing performance. The interior is sharp and well thought out.

If I had to point out any flaws... hmmm, well I got some wind noise through the drivers window at 210kph, and I have some difficulty power shifting from 2nd to 3rd... but that's probably my technique that needs improving rather than a fault with the car.

Take one for a test drive... you won't be dissappointed.

the wind sound is from either, subarus frameless windows, or your driverside mirror. and you just cant add hp with an aftermarket exhaust and a ecu reflash. its not that easy if not impossible, to gain 80whp from those two mods. hahaah

the rex does have tons of performance but there are alot of cars that are cathcing up to it now like hte srt4.

if you plan on gettin a rex wait a few months till the 06's come out. heard theres more power from a 2.5l powerplant. or else get a legacy 2.5gt, a sleeper IMP

koopkoop2
05-24-2005, 12:16 PM
I'm about to buy a WRX in the next two months. However, I've never bought a brand new car before.

Sorry to jack the thread, but since there's a couple of WRX owners already watching this thread, there's a question I've been dying to ask.

How much did you get off the sticker price?

I was going to try for $2000 off plus an alarm. Is this asking too much or too little? Again, I've never bought a new car so I don't know what the median value for this type of thing is.

That.Guy.S30
05-24-2005, 12:20 PM
depending on who you deal with im pretty sure you can pull that off. im iffy about if you can also get the alarm too. i wouldnt take that alarm. its a pos. lol

lam-boy
05-24-2005, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Sorath
terence if u go testdriving one, call me we'll go together : )

first its wanting to goto a beyond meet for ice cream...now this..

pitwipe
05-24-2005, 12:44 PM
I got exactly $2000 off the sticker price, but got the feeling it was a little too easy and wished I'd tried for more! Oh well, we live and learn. Try for $3000 off and see what happens.

as for the extra HP, have a look at Cobb tuning's stage 2. It's a turbo-back exhaust and AP reflash. They claim this will put the WRX up to 285Hp (dyno evidence). Like I said.... lots of potential in this car.

Ok, maybe 3 cats... but you get my point? The North American exhaust model is strangling the car.

The Sti is a better car, but I couldn't afford the extra $15,000. The WRX is still an excellent car and has great potential to release many extra horses with a few simple bolt-ons.

Last I checked there was no "real" evidence to 06 WRX will have the 2.5 litre engine, but if it does then... yeah go for that one!

Test drive the WRX, test drive the SRT-4, and anything else you like the look of. Other people's opinions are simply that... their opinions. It's far more important that you like the car since you'll be the one driving it :D

awd
05-24-2005, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

I see someone needing a rebuit transmission in the future. The 5-speed tranny is the weak spot of the WRX. Not a good idea powershifting a glass transmission. :nut:

I have read that numerous times, mine is a 2002 and all is good -- then again I don't drive like retard.

koopkoop2
05-24-2005, 12:54 PM
Which factory accesories would you recommend and is there a list of what's available? I've heard the short throw shifter is worth every dollar. Can anyone back this up?

benyl
05-24-2005, 01:07 PM
Wait for the 2006. It should be out in a month or less.

You should be able to negotiate money off even the 2006. More off the 2005.

pitwipe
05-24-2005, 01:12 PM
I don't remember there being too many optional extras. The WRX is pretty well equipped already. The moon roof was an option that I went for.

I never asked about a short-throw shifter, but as I mentioned I do sometimes miss shift when changing from 2nd to 3rd, so maybe that option would help with that? :thumbsup:

FiveFreshFish
05-24-2005, 01:13 PM
Any significant changes for '06?

benyl
05-24-2005, 01:16 PM
rumours of a 2.5L turbo in the wrx.

Maybe a new nose.

wrxer1
05-24-2005, 01:20 PM
Dont get the factory SS, buy the Kartboy with bushings, much better package.

wrxer1
05-24-2005, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs

you just cant add hp with an aftermarket exhaust and a ecu reflash. its not that easy if not impossible

Are you kidding me? Most wrx owners who mod go this route and hundreds have dyno results to prove it.

sputnik
05-24-2005, 01:23 PM
Is there any way to get a non-blue interior in an STi? Personally that is the part of the STi that would keep me from buying one.

pitwipe
05-24-2005, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by awd

I have read that numerous times, mine is a 2002 and all is good -- then again I don't drive like retard.

Out of interest, have you (or any other WRX owners reading this) ever taken your WRX to do the 1/4 mile? I'm keen to give it a try, but am concerned about these reports of a weak tranny.

I have my doubts about these weak tranny reports though... I wonder if they came from people who modded the shit out of their cars first?

RickDaTuner
05-24-2005, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
Is there any way to get a non-blue interior in an STi? Personally that is the part of the STi that would keep me from buying one. haha yeah buy a Sti then you sell your interior and head over to japan and buy the interior parts of The S203 all black :poosie: :drool: STi/Recaro Carbon fiber seats...

thats the only way really, or you could trade the Sti interior for the WRX one and get some cash out of it..

as for the original question..

go to the states, and buy the STi instead of the WRX here, just about the same price, and if you cant do that, then buya used onr from the states; they run for about 25-27k usdm, wich translates to about 35-38k can? the car isnt a rip off, its just to many people have flooded the us with them, it would have been nice if it was a limited production car.. ah well

oh an dif you owned a honda or own a honda be prepared to be intensely mortified by how much gas this car consumes.. :eek:

WRX or WRX STi is never a bad choice

olso I heard that the Revised 06 EJ25 on the STi will also have Variable timming in the exhaust and intake valves rather than just the intake, now if only they could add valve duration adjustment it would be set

benyl
05-24-2005, 02:47 PM
yeah, be prepared to pay out the ass for gas. Especially if you boost all the time.

Chester
05-24-2005, 07:28 PM

.....as for the extra HP, have a look at Cobb tuning's stage 2. It's a turbo-back exhaust and AP reflash. They claim this will put the WRX up to 285Hp (dyno evidence). Like I said.... lots of potential in this car....

|/|/rX on here has Cobb tuning's stage 2, he made a thread somewhere if you search for it. Anyway, that 285 is with a aftermarket downpipe, exhaust and CAI. All I can say is I took a ride before and after stage 2 and it made a HUGE difference.

Skyline_Addict
05-24-2005, 08:08 PM

Test drive the WRX, test drive the SRT-4, and anything else you like the look of. Other people's opinions are simply that... their opinions. It's far more important that you like the car since you'll be the one driving it :D

My next car will NOT be a FWD drivetrain. Absolutely not. I am definetely aiming to go to the darkside -AWD. I would never go for a domestic car either, but that's me...

Originally posted by RickDaTuner

as for the original question..

go to the states, and buy the STi instead of the WRX here, just about the same price, and if you cant do that, then buya used onr from the states; they run for about 25-27k usdm, wich translates to about 35-38k can? the car isnt a rip off, its just to many people have flooded the us with them, it would have been nice if it was a limited production car.. ah well

oh an dif you owned a honda or own a honda be prepared to be intensely mortified by how much gas this car consumes.. :eek:

WRX or WRX STi is never a bad choice

Is that what you did? Is it alot of trouble? Worth the money/time? Benefits outweigh the Deficits?
When I do get one, it won't be new. Probably around the 01-02 year.

RickDaTuner
05-24-2005, 08:39 PM
no thats not what i did, the company who provided the financing for my car here in calgary made it so that wether i bought a car here in canada or in the US in the End i would pay the same, mabey even a little less, but im talking single digits. 2 year old sti would be the 04 wich means its a little un refined, most of them had to have 94 or higher octane run through them or they would ping at lower altitudes, but i think Subaru had a recall on that and reflashed everyones ecu, some speculate that the problem was that Subaru initially threw the cars out with injectors that were running up too %109 duty cycle:eek:
the 04's also dont have a Front LSD and a few other things; i cant recall them all, but really its not that big of a hassle to go down to montana or washington to get one, well worth the money saved, if it was brand new and the odometer was reading 0 i would get a CADM Cluster that reads in Km/h instead of Mp/h and have the dealer swap them over, just so that there isnt any question of legitatimacy interms of actaul milage. I think the hardest part of this all is finding a used one that is close to the border or just close to calgary even, but if thats not a concern, then ebay makes it a bit easier.

but yeah just to finish up my previous thought, the 05 is the better year untill the 06's come haha, oh and if you can, try to find one with the latest build date of 05 possible, Subaru had chaged the parameters of the 05 Ecu about 12 times now, improving the cars a little more everytime:thumbsup:

pitwipe
05-24-2005, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict

My next car will NOT be a FWD drivetrain. Absolutely not. I am definetely aiming to go to the darkside -AWD.

Welcome to the dark side :thumbsup:

That.Guy.S30
05-26-2005, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by wrxer1

Are you kidding me? Most wrx owners who mod go this route and hundreds have dyno results to prove it.

maybe 285 to the fly. not to the wheels. and i said, "its not possible to gain 80whp from those two mods." where i got the 80 i have no clue. lol i was probably comparing it to the STi at the time.

edit: cobb stage 2 is only makes 224.4whp. 285 is to the fly. which was my piont all along.

Azn-T-REX
05-26-2005, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs

maybe 285 to the fly. not to the wheels. and i said, "its not possible to gain 80whp from those two mods." where i got the 80 i have no clue. lol i was probably comparing it to the STi at the time.

edit: cobb stage 2 is only makes 224.4whp. 285 is to the fly. which was my piont all along.

Correct, my stage 2 is running around 276hp at the crank, I believe it's ~220hp at the wheels, the awd powertrain loss is huge on subbies.