PDA

View Full Version : Can I recharge the A/C on a '94 Civic myself?

Super_Geo
05-24-2005, 03:31 PM
Hey guys, I'm trying to find out whether or not it's possible to recharge the A/C in a '94 civic on your own. The garage I went to said that it'd cost $169, but I'm guessing that if you could just buy the stuff yourself it'd be considerably cheaper.

Thanks guys.

Weapon_R
05-24-2005, 03:34 PM
Sure, you can get some stuff from Autovalue or any other parts store and recharge it yourself. I've never used it personally so I don't know how well it works. It's around 17.00/can on sale and you'll need about 2-3, depending on the size of system.

A790
05-24-2005, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
Hey guys, I'm trying to find out whether or not it's possible to recharge the A/C in a '94 civic on your own. The garage I went to said that it'd cost $169, but I'm guessing that if you could just buy the stuff yourself it'd be considerably cheaper.

Thanks guys.

Let them do it. Trust me on this one.

BlkMaxima
05-24-2005, 05:18 PM
I've done it before easy! Autovalue guys will tell you exactly what to do and they will lend you the attachments you need!

RickDaTuner
05-24-2005, 05:27 PM
dont you need to clean a A/C system before its get recharged, and dont you also need to remove all the Old Fluid and gasses, as they are extreamly toxic?, but then again these are things i have heard through the grapevine so I dunno

FiveFreshFish
05-24-2005, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
dont you need to clean a A/C system before its get recharged, and dont you also need to remove all the Old Fluid and gasses, as they are extreamly toxic?, but then again these are things i have heard through the grapevine so I dunno

The old R12 shit was used in all vehicles built prior to 1993. His '94 should have the new refrigerant. R12 depletes the ozone.

gpomp
05-24-2005, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Sure, you can get some stuff from Autovalue or any other parts store and recharge it yourself. I've never used it personally so I don't know how well it works. It's around 17.00/can on sale and you'll need about 2-3, depending on the size of system.
i have done this but i would recommend going to a shop.

Super_Geo
05-24-2005, 08:00 PM
Thanks guys, to the shop it goes.

The autovalue guys said it would be $80 for the stuff. They also said that if you were just switching to the stuff (as it's not the same as what comes from the factory) that it's a good idea to get it done at the shop cause the old gunk and fluid could be bad news, as Rick already said.

Thanks again for the input.