PDA

View Full Version : Working in Mexico

craigcd
05-24-2005, 11:42 PM
Does anyone have any experience with working in Mexico?

Any suggestions on where to start looking? What to stay away from, things like that.

Thanks

Craig

Proyecto2000
05-25-2005, 08:55 AM
why would u wanna work in Mexico wages are low for non proffesionals.

well I can say stay away from drugs and all illegal things :rofl:

craigcd
05-25-2005, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Proyecto2000
why would u wanna work in Mexico wages are low for non proffesionals.

well I can say stay away from drugs and all illegal things :rofl:

Thanks for the usless post.

Depending on what kind of position you get the money can be decent. Im not looking to make a fortune obviously im looking for international experience, culture... that sorta thing.

There is alot of american companies that hire people to work in Mexico, im kinda looking for something like that i just need a starting point.

dinglenuts
05-25-2005, 07:13 PM
I worked in cabo san lucas mexico for 4 months back in 2000. Unless you have a high demand skill that mexicans don't have, your only options are working for a time share company, or teaching english. I worked for the time share company, they paid for apartment etc, but work sucked. Always pissing off tourists with your speel is disheartening. I just went there and got a job. You can also work for cash, but then your on mexi wage. The teaching english thing is a decent option I think. The courses are always around town, its like two or three days, and then your certified as far as I know. It would probably be a good idea to learn a little spanish too, as many locals resent you working there without the effort of learning the language. What ever you decide, I had the best time of my life there, do it! AND OH MAN, THE WOMEN LOVE US CANUCKS.:)

JordanLotoski
05-25-2005, 07:17 PM
my buddie worked there for 4 years at a hotel in PV, dont think he came home with any cash

I worked in the caymans for 2 years, made about 100k canadain a year, but the island got hit by a hurrican last year, id try bermuda, huge cash there like cayman and tax free.

dinglenuts
05-25-2005, 08:08 PM
what'd you do in caymans, and whats paying so much in Bermuda?

ole dsm
05-26-2005, 12:14 AM
pay is good in bermuda cause there is no taxes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and they are on par w/ us dollars.

watch out for the tourists on the scooters ! they crash into everything!

i loved living there.

JordanLotoski
05-26-2005, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by dinglenuts
what'd you do in caymans, and whats paying so much in Bermuda?

i was a bartender, ever see the movie the firm, well i worked at the pool bar that was in the movie. Cayman and bermuda are huge offshore havens for the rich of thr rich, thats why the cash is so good there. but your living is pretty expensive too. Id go there its really americanized, mexico would be cool for about a month then i know id wanna come home.

and i know in the caymans the dollar was worth 10% more thenb the USD, was double canadain..i remenver one christmas i made 1200 cayman in tips in an 8 hour shift, thats 2400 canadian..not a bad pull for a days work.

HuMz
05-26-2005, 12:25 AM
my cousin is going to work in mexico in september, your not in it for the money just for the experience, he's gonna be working in a hotel i think and the pay is only 5$ a day US, but they also pay for his accomodations, food, and free drinks, pretty good experience for sure

JordanLotoski
05-26-2005, 12:27 AM
why not go for both though?....guess iam always thinking about making money..lol

ca2p3r
05-26-2005, 12:46 AM
^ how did you get involved with that miwyshot?
like how did you go aproaching getting a job overseas

JordanLotoski
05-26-2005, 12:50 AM
i got a book that listed all the hotels and resturants on the island, i sent a resume, 2 weeks later i got a call back from the hyatt, i had a 45 minutes interview, they send an immagration package, i had to get some blood tests done, criminal records. send them all in and within 4 months of being hired i was down there, Understand that its a great experience, but u work like a god i 16-18 hour shift happen quite a bit. the only thing that kept me sane was the 100's of gurls that would pour off a cruise ship each day:D