PDA

View Full Version : WTF is wrong with back?

GTS Jeff
05-25-2005, 05:09 PM
My back has been hurting for 3 weeks! It all started when I took a 3 hour drive in my car, which is odd, because I've been driving my car for almost 3 years with no problems. It's in my lower back and the muscles are just super sore. After three weeks, this is getting annoying. And now the pain seems to have crept down into my left thigh too.

I'd see a doctor, but the times that I've visited a doctor for things like this, they usually tell me to fuck off politely.

Any ideas? I've been trying some light exercise (jogging), stretching, and robaxacet, but the pain ain't goin nowhere. :(

j_gor78
05-25-2005, 05:14 PM
sounds like a pinched nerve,
id go see a doctor, as it can become serious

Idratherbsidewayz
05-25-2005, 05:23 PM
Why is this in food and dining?

See a chiropractor. Thats all I saw when I got into an accident and im perfectly fine now.

Lanks
05-25-2005, 06:03 PM
I used to see a massage therapist for a back/shoulder injury and it worked quite well. Only thing is it can get kinda expensive. Some insurance policies however allow a certain amount of coverage per year for alternative medicine so that could help you out with the cost a bit.

Seanith
05-25-2005, 06:33 PM
Chiropractor?

mac_82
05-25-2005, 09:37 PM
a couple of years ago my lower back was bothering me, but it turned out to be my hip. my hip was so sore that the muscles in my back tightened up to compensate for it. i just did a lot of stretching, a couple trips to the chiro, and some yoga stretches, worked like a charm.

Weapon_R
05-25-2005, 09:46 PM
Shit i've had the same problem! Try sleeping in another bed and see if you notice any changes. I've found that a soft mattress always gives me a bad back the next morning.

TrevorK
05-26-2005, 09:58 AM
Typically if the pain travels down one side it is something pinching/pressing against the sciatic nerve.

This pinching/pressing can be done in the lower back, but it can also be done in the piriformis muscle as well (Which is quite often diagnosed incorrectly as the piriformis can cause pain to shoot up and down, mimicing sciatica).

Either way - I'd recommend going to someone who will be able to diagnose you (Chiro - physiotherapists don't receive as much training in these areas) AND help you with exercises to strengthen the muscles in the area so it doesn't keep happening.

If you need the name/number of a good chiro in the edmonton area let me know, and I'll pass along mine.

hockeybronx
05-26-2005, 07:32 PM
Last week I went to a massage therapist where I got a "back adjustment" and 1 hour massage for $45.00:eek:

It has honestly changed my life. The back adjustment sounded sketchy but it felt so great, and following it up with a massage took away so many back problems that I have accumulated over the years.

Pacman
05-28-2005, 12:08 AM
I just got over a similar problem. Mine was sciatica, and I was in pain for the better part of 5 months, with the shooting pains down my left leg.

If you choose to see a chiro, make sure you see one who specializes in sports injurys, and not a "quack".

PM me if you would like a reference for a good sports chiro.