PDA

View Full Version : Hockey Card knowledge

Import_Girl
05-26-2005, 09:03 AM
Ok so i have tons and tons of hockey cards, mint condition, from over the last like 15years, and they are anoying me and i dont want them sitting in my closet anymore. So i guess im looking for someone pretty honest to come and give me an honest price and buy them from me. IF there are any takers on this, PM me, if not im just gonna take teh whole lot and sell em to some smelly guy with a beer gut at the market who im really REALLY sure he would give a young girl a HONEST price..lol...I know there is a book and stuff to see, but i really not have time for that...PM me ..Ciao

TrevorK
05-26-2005, 10:37 AM
Good luck - I think hockey card sales are definetely on the decline, and have been for a LONG time.

Unless you have any pre 1990 cards I don't think you'll get much, if anything for them.

sputnik
05-26-2005, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by TrevorK
Good luck - I think hockey card sales are definetely on the decline, and have been for a LONG time.

Unless you have any pre 1990 cards I don't think you'll get much, if anything for them.

:werd:

88-89 is pretty much the last year of hockey cards that have any value.

Once Pro Set, Fleer and UD came onto the market the only cards that were worth anything were the "rare" cards. However even those cards dropped in value once the next set of rare cards were released by another company.

I would be seriously interested in any O-Pee-Chee cards that you have from the 70's or 80's.

Mad$ella
05-26-2005, 10:52 AM
^^^^ They are right, I still have a bunch of cards, and some 82 O'peeche (sp?) but I am holding on to the to give em to my kids.-

Z_Fan
05-26-2005, 11:06 AM
I also agree.

I think 1990 (or so) was the first year of Upper Deck - there was a huge resurgence in card production. The number of cards produced was absolutely insanely high and consequently the value is very low because nothing is rare. So many were produced that those cards after 1990 likely won't be "rare" for another 100 years. (Well, a very very long time...)

I used to stick Gretzky Rookie cards in my bike spokes when I was a kid!

:banghead:

OH well, I was stupid and sold my Gretzky RC's that didn't get destroyed in my bike many years later for $2500. (I had five of them) Should have kept them...or at least kept one. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

dericer
05-26-2005, 11:25 AM
A co-worker of mine is really into collecting. He was telling me the only card worth anything now of days is the multi coloured jersy cards and the signature cards. The funny thing is they come in packs that cost $150.00 a pack. The expensive packs make cards rarer, more valuable.

I had a lemieux rookie from 86 (small cards) was worth about $200 in the 90's and is worth about $100 now.

****edit***** Just checked, my lemieux is worth about $50 bucks now. Should have sold it back in the day I guess

This link tells you the relative value of your cards.

www.beckett.com

You need to join, and then links to card value search engine.

interlude
05-26-2005, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Import_Girl
Ok so i have tons and tons of hockey cards, mint condition, from over the last like 15years, and they are anoying me and i dont want them sitting in my closet anymore. So i guess im looking for someone pretty honest to come and give me an honest price and buy them from me. IF there are any takers on this, PM me, if not im just gonna take teh whole lot and sell em to some smelly guy with a beer gut at the market who im really REALLY sure he would give a young girl a HONEST price..lol...I know there is a book and stuff to see, but i really not have time for that...PM me ..Ciao

go to a comic shop, if I remember right, they used to publish books with the current values. Or you can always check online.

Import_Girl
05-26-2005, 01:40 PM
awsome, thanx everyone. Yeah, im not so concerned as to how much i get from them, i just really need more shoe space...lolbut i will check out that site! thank you kindly

Import_Girl
05-26-2005, 04:54 PM
anyone have a beckett they want to sell or lend me?

colinderksen
05-26-2005, 06:18 PM
The only cards worth keeping are mint rookie cards and most anything pre-75

dericer
05-26-2005, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Import_Girl
anyone have a beckett they want to sell or lend me?

The link I posted is for Beckett's website. If you login they will let you enter the type of card you have and the condition, and they tell you the value. It's pretty cool, and more importantly it free :thumbsup:

88CRX
05-26-2005, 10:36 PM
alright... i bought, sold and traded cards for years and years..... just a couple points for ya.

1 - If you think your cards are 'mint' they probaly arent. Check the edges and corners under a magnifying glass. Check the centering, it must be 90% exact. Check the surfaces, they must have zero scratches. If your card has one minor defect it might get graded mint. Anything more its less then mint and worthless to most people.

BTW - you can get them professionally graded by several companies in the states, they put them perminantly in a case and give it a nice name tag etc etc etc. probably will run you $20ish per card. They must be perfect to be mint basicly.

2 - Like stated before pre 88 is the only $$ and its not even THAT good. Only shit after that thats worth anything is real graded mint rookie cards, short print rookies, and some game used shit which is now hella played out.

3 - You probably wont get anything for any of your cards, sucks bigtime i know.... i prolly have $10k+ in cards... not sure of value now tho.

4 - I can check them out whenever you want. You'll have to pick up a new becket though, $5 @ chapters. But you wont get book price.... maybe half or less lol.

I'll post some pics of some of my better cards in a sec.....

Kirbs17
05-26-2005, 11:18 PM
Fuck :banghead: :banghead: Ive been sitting on a mint Roy, Lidstrom, Lindros and Roberts card :banghead: :banghead: there goes my dreams of cashing in

MenteL
05-26-2005, 11:19 PM
I've got a whole binder of flames cards from when lanny mcdonald was playing up until now. in really really really good shape too

88CRX
05-26-2005, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Kirbs17
Fuck :banghead: :banghead: Ive been sitting on a mint Roy, Lidstrom, Lindros and Roberts card :banghead: :banghead: there goes my dreams of cashing in

roy is worth something.... rest are only a couple bucks if there mint.

Shaolin
05-26-2005, 11:31 PM
i'm waiting for mine to go up as well... probably not for a long time though.. but i'm holding them until I die.

mac_82
05-26-2005, 11:35 PM
when i was at work today i was at this one guys house who had a whole room of hockey stuff, including a gretzky rookie card, and some bobby orr and other random 60s-80s cards, they were mint. also had signed pics of orr, lafleur and a 60s canadiens autographed pic. not quite sure of the year. what is a patrick roy rc worth? that is probably one of the only cards that i have thats worth something.

A|pine
05-27-2005, 01:53 AM
sakic on the nordiques?

Gotrek
05-27-2005, 10:52 AM
I've got 3 full set os 90-91,92-93 pro set but who doesn't :)

I've got other nice cards but as said above they are worth crap now.

88CRX
05-27-2005, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Gotrek
I've got 3 full set os 90-91,92-93 pro set but who doesn't :)

I've got other nice cards but as said above they are worth crap now.

pro set lol.

i bought a case, like 25 boxes, removed all the rc's and threw the rest out lol.

jagr, joseph, sundin, modano, belfour, etc etc etc and the rest went straight to the trash :rofl:

Gotrek
05-27-2005, 12:05 PM
The only cars I collect now are J.P. Vigier Rookie cards.

I'm sure there worth 0$ but he's from my home town and was in my older sisters Grade :)