PDA

View Full Version : Customs / Duties

Khalil
05-26-2005, 03:18 PM
Hey guys..

does anyone know how to calcualte the amount of duties / customs you will have to pay when you receive a package from the states?

If anyone knows..let me know pls :)

Thanks

p.s...
its 40 pounds..

via..usps? ups?

ryder_23
05-26-2005, 03:21 PM
I know ups has an estimator. Its by value of package and contents, not directly in size and weight.

DJ Lazy
05-26-2005, 03:45 PM
I'm not sure how usps/ups calculate there brokerage charges.

I know that when we rate our customers, we need the value of the shipment (commercial invoice supplied).

And we have our own brokerage schedule.

Example:

shipment Value: 101.00 - 250.00 we charge $XX.XX amount for brokerage, plus B3 GST (on the value), and then depending on the product if there are applicable duties and taxes those would be added on...

clapbak
05-28-2005, 02:40 PM
for my 130 CANADIAN set of 4 used 560 CC Injectors.. i got a 49 doller bill .. + my 20 bucks shipping..

fuck ups.. send it canada post / usps..

?????
05-28-2005, 02:54 PM
I think the customs website has a list of what is charged duty and the percentage of the value it is charged.

FiveFreshFish
05-28-2005, 08:19 PM
For USPS if there's GST applicable, they tack on $5 administration fee.

Most items cross the border WITHOUT DUTY. People confuse duty with GST, although it's money out of your pocket no matter what you call it.

turbo minivan
05-28-2005, 10:30 PM
depending on what your ordering and where it was made you may not have to pay duty. customs i dont know. if what your ordering was made IN the states then they cant charge duty, they may still charge somthing to look at your box, shake it up, and be as slow as possable letting it go through........
a.k.a. customs fees. i think to get it duty free like that though you may need a N.A.F.T.A. paper with your shipment that the company SHOULD supply that the border will look at. ask about it when you order. (north american free trade agreement) i hate ordering stuff with all the crap that goes with it!:thumbsdow

turbo minivan
05-28-2005, 10:31 PM
oh yes, the WILL charge you the GST for what you order. thats gay too.

BokCh0y
05-28-2005, 11:26 PM
Yeah dude send it usps...DO NOT USE UPS. Not only do they man handle your package, deliver it late, they also charge some wicked brokerage fees. I think it's like 35%. I ordered a set of floor mats from the states - $100 CDN and f'ing UPS charged me $35 dollars for the brokerage fees + GST + Duty. Overall shipping via UPS that time cost me like $50 - half the cost of the item. In the end it was cheaper to buy it in Canada thanks to the f'ing brokerage fees.

I think customs charges depends on the value of the item but you might have to pay GST once it gets into Canada. If you can, make sure you mark the value of the item like $30 USD or so and "gift". This will save you some money. But stay away from UPS of you can.

Only thing good with UPS is you will have it in roughly 7days assuming they are not late. So far everything I've been shipped via UPS has been either 1-2 days late or delivered to my office at 4:15pm right before our mail room closes at 4:30.

With USPS it is slower - like 10-14 days but way cheaper in terms of fees as they do not charge brokerage fees. Just the GST and whatever applicable duty charges and the $5 handling fee.

Like I said before, if you insist on using UPS then if you can then make sure you mark the value of the Item LOWER and mark it as gift otherwise.......your ass will be sore.

Khalil
05-29-2005, 08:40 PM
I'm using usps..
thankfully enough!

Its been two weeks..
hopefully it it will be here soon :p