PDA

View Full Version : insurance under your parents name?

Stratus_Power
01-15-2003, 02:29 AM
anyone here has their car registered under your parents name for insurance and you add yourself as a secondary driver?

Wats the Pros and Cons of doing this?

mrmattyk
01-15-2003, 09:39 AM
Cheaper, way cheaper

Melinda
01-15-2003, 09:40 AM
But if you go under your own name, you can start to make a good name for yourself within the insurance industry earlier on....insurance drops will be better for you in the future, just gotta make sure you aren't killing anyone or getting pulled over a lot while you're on the road.

Melinda

___2PaC___
01-15-2003, 09:53 AM
I was thinkin about doing the same thing as Stratus_Power but i dunno if I should or shouldn't:dunno:

Weapon_R
01-15-2003, 10:17 AM
Why wouldn't you? It's much cheaper than going about it alone. The only con is that you may be pulled over too many times and then the insurance company checks your record - if it sees you are driving the vehicle too much, it may cancel your insurance. That is what they did to me.

Oh well, just called up another insurance company.

Fluidic
01-15-2003, 10:55 AM
The problem with having insurance under your parents name... well... if you get into an accident... and you kill someone... and they attempt to sue you... then they can only sue your parents... since that's the name of the Insuree. If you die... and you die killing someone in another car... your parents are even more screwed.

If you have insurance under you own name, you kill someone, you live, the family sues you, all you own is a car... in theory... they can only take your car... since you may or may not have credit to destroy and/or money to sue for.

Think about it... save money now... for what?

Peter

Stratus_Power
01-15-2003, 11:16 AM
generallly do the insurance company care? like let say my mom drives a Van, my sis drives a Sedan, and my dad works in HK so he doesnt drive... If i were to say get something sporty like a tiburon, and put it under my mom's name.... do u think its possible? would they suspect that its actually me driving it Since Im the 18 years old teenager in the house? .. Since they are alll in Calgary and im in Deadmonton.. I probably just need to tell them im at U of A eh

missblondie
01-15-2003, 12:16 PM
yes they can question it, and if you get a ticket or in an accident they will question it.. we are going through this problem right now because zerovaccines acura El is registered and insured under his parents name, but the theft occured in Calgary so they are questioning it... Melinda is write.. get a name for your self now and suck it up...it may be expensive but it will save you and your parents a lot of grief.

GTS Jeff
01-15-2003, 02:17 PM
when i bought my car, my parents didnt want to let me put my insurance under theirs. but thats ok with me cuz their insurance is fuckall expensive and i hate my moms bullshit insurance stories.

max_boost
01-15-2003, 02:39 PM
If your a female, Ok.....but if your not, prepared to shell out big bucks!

It is just the liability issue but just becareful out there.......

Also dependent on number of drivers....if you have 4 cars and 4 drivers in the house it won't work....always need more drivers than vehicles.......or else it won't be considered part time

Stratus_Power
01-15-2003, 03:54 PM
yeh i think im looking at like a 2-3000 difference per year :(

cocoabrova
01-15-2003, 04:44 PM
Also if you f**k-up too many times under your parents insurance, the company can cancel the whole family's insurance

James
01-15-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by cocoabrova
Also if you f**k-up too many times under your parents insurance, the company can cancel the whole family's insurance

Thats why i have had my own insurance under my own Name since i was 16...my mom didnt want me to mess up her perfect Driving/insurance Record, which was understandable....then my Step-Dad goes and gets a DUI charge and fucks everything up! her insurance company of 20 Years Cancelled her policy, becuase eventhough he got his lisence taken away, he is still a "Liability" becuase he lives in our House:thumbsdow

three.eighteen.
01-15-2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Melinda
But if you go under your own name, you can start to make a good name for yourself within the insurance industry earlier on....insurance drops will be better for you in the future, just gotta make sure you aren't killing anyone or getting pulled over a lot while you're on the road.

Melinda

:werd:

Hipermax_d
01-15-2003, 08:35 PM
i just put my parents name for insurance.
its cheaper so thats all that matter for now