PDA

View Full Version : Got ran into... Need some suggestions...

SAiamNE
05-27-2005, 03:15 PM
Today as i was pulling into a parking lot (still on main street) some old lady backed into me in some station wagon with a hitch on the back for a trailer. It smoked my drivers side fender and is now rubbing on the tire. I pulled it back so I could goto a bodyshop and get a quote but still looks horrible. I got all her information and called my insurance company. They told me to go to the Police if it was over $1000, so I did. Police sent me to get an estimate for the repair. Took it to one of my mothers friends places who owns a body shop. He priced out the quote for ~$600 to my surprise.

I am not looking for some suggestions as to what to do next.
The girl said she would get her husband to contact me who is a lawyer aparently and all this. Should I wait and talk to her and try and sort it out privately? If I take this estimate back to the Police station what can they do for me?

She still thinks it was somehow my fault but it was obviously hers.

Looking for some help boys.. Point me in the right direction.. What would you do if you were in my situation?

Thanks!

ninjak84
05-27-2005, 03:47 PM
Screw her husband's "advice"!

Come on man, he's a lawyer. Of course he wants to talk to you about it. He probably wants you to stay away from police too. Then pretty soon he'll twist the story and make it your fault. Before you know it, you're doing 20 years for a murder in Moscow.

I say handle it by the book. She's clearly in the wrong, and police/insurance is the fastest way to settle it.

Kaos
05-27-2005, 03:59 PM
If it is in a parking lot or on a main road, whatever one it is.
if it was in the parking lot, it should be 50/50.

Dont take her husbands advice, go through insurance!

talonboi
05-27-2005, 03:59 PM
dont even speak to her "lawyer" u dont have to, tell him if he wants to talk, your insurance company will get in touch with him

freakin
05-27-2005, 04:05 PM
Go to the police with the estimate asap....they tend to favor whomever shows up first to report it. Also, report it to your insurance. If you both decide to settle it away from the insurance companies, you can still do so. But if you wait too long to report it you'll get screwed. I've been stuck in that boat before. A 'friend' hit my car and said he'd pay for it. He was leaving for Australia a couple months later, and did so without paying me. I had a hell of a time getting the insurance to belive that the accident happened 2 months ago.