PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Users: Benefits of using external keyboard

GucciBoy
05-27-2005, 04:46 PM
Anyone else here use an external keyboard and think it benefits greatly?

I find over long periods of time on my lappie, that I get soar with looking down too low, and typing and being on a laptop for 12hours a day is not the most comfortable. So I got an external keyboard (BenQ X120) read good reviews on it how it has laptop keys. It doesnt quite, but its close. I really wish I didnt sell my Macally IceKey keyboard, that was the best keyboard to type on ever - but also $80! But this BenQ isnt bad for $20 (reg $30). Anyways, Im typing on it right now and just wondering if it is worth keeping using an ext. keyboard on a laptop. I propped up my laptop about 4inches off the table so its at a better height. What would you do?

BTW, Ive only had my toshiba laptop for 8 months and the keyboard keys are sticking, so Monday my new replacement comes in. do you think a laptop keyboard shouldnt be used for 10hrs a day every day, or it will wear down and get all mucky and dirty fast. Meaning a sooner replacement and the next time, I would have to pay $ for it, since the warranty will be over. What do you think? Laptop keyboards are like $80+ to replace. Wise to use ext keyboard on a laptop, keep the laptop keyboard for when Im out and cover it up with plastic when not used, so the crap doesnt get the keys to stick. Just lookin long term protecting my investment. I know you will say, a laptop keyboard should last years without having the keys stick. But you would be surprised with mine. I even used a plastic cover for when I was out for long times, never ate around it, and still so much sticky gunk - gross haha.

FiveFreshFish
05-27-2005, 05:29 PM
Some of the guys at the office have external keyboards connected to a docking station. It lets you move the screen to a better view position. A full-size keyboard has better feel and the keys are easier to touch-type with, IMO.

The "gunk" is mostly dead skin flakes, dandruff, pet dander, dust, overspray (like peeling an orange and it squirts between your keys) and food crumbs. Best to avoid eating near your computer. The other stuff is harder to control.

You need to blow it out with compressed air every few weeks and it'll last for a long time. I'm not talking about the little cans of air you can buy at the store; use an air compressor to blast out that shit! If you don't have one, go to any gas station with free air and use their air nozzle.

DarkDream
05-27-2005, 05:44 PM
For the hieght of the moniter I went to ikea and bought a stand with holes in the bottom for better ventilation for like 4 bucks it was in the "AS IS" section it worked pretty well it was high enough that i won't have to look down..... but later i just used a CRT moniter....

And yah its probably what "FiveFreshFish" said about why its all gunky in there is most likely due to those reasons....

GucciBoy
05-27-2005, 06:48 PM
[i]

You need to blow it out with compressed air every few weeks and it'll last for a long time. I'm not talking about the little cans of air you can buy at the store; use an air compressor to blast out that shit! If you don't have one, go to any gas station with free air and use their air nozzle. [/B]

Ya I will be doing this with my new keyboard haha.