PDA

View Full Version : Nuoc cham recipie?

blitz
05-27-2005, 05:46 PM
Anyone have a good nuoc cham recipie? I can't seem to get the same flavor as restaurants. I have a feeling it's the type of chili's, I'm just using fresh chili paste.

I finally found the right rice vermicelli (trial and error, when through 12 fricken types), now I just need to get this right.

hampstor
05-27-2005, 08:12 PM
umm... i use fish sauce, water, lime juice (from freshly squeezed limes), sugar, chopped up garlic, a tiny bit of soy sauce and the freshly crushed chillis.

i couldnt tell you exact proportions .. but i put in a bit more water then fish sauce. Also, use lots of sugar!!

BigDannyCool
05-30-2005, 01:51 AM
there's no soya sauce in there, but instead of lime juice you can also use vinegar

blitz
05-30-2005, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by BigDannyCool
there's no soya sauce in there, but instead of lime juice you can also use vinegar

Thanks guys. So it sounds like I have the right ingredients, just need to work on proportions:

Water
Fish Sauce
Seasoned Rice Wine Vinegar
Sugar
Garlic
Chilis

I'll keep messing around with it...unless someones works at a vietnamese restaurant and can sell it to me by the gallon :D

hampstor
05-30-2005, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by BigDannyCool

I just put a small amount for a slightly diff flavour

aaronck
05-31-2005, 10:43 AM
What restaurant has the best?
I think my favorite is at Oriental Pheonix, it's amazing.

A recipe I got used some COCO RICO coconut pop, sounded weird, but I think it was the closest to a good sauce I ever made at home
By the way, what was the "right" rice vermicelli you found?

sputnik
05-31-2005, 10:54 AM
google is your friend...

http://www.whats4eats.com/recipes/r_sau_nuoccham.html

lam-boy
05-31-2005, 12:21 PM
if you're gonna put carrots in it....i wouldn't just throw it straight in. i forgot how my mom does it but she either pickles the carrots or lets the carrot sit in sweetened water or something like that to make the carrorts softer and tastier in the nuoc cham.

blitz
06-05-2005, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
google is your friend...

http://www.whats4eats.com/recipes/r_sau_nuoccham.html

I did that....but none of the recipies I've found have tasted right.
Maybe it's because I'm white? :dunno:

Originally posted by aaronck By the way, what was the "right" rice vermicelli you found?]

Kongmoon Rice Stick, it's a red and yellow package, got it at Superstore.

BigDannyCool
06-08-2005, 01:21 AM
it's all just trial and error...just keep making it until it tastes good to you

Shotgun
06-08-2005, 04:07 PM
Try

One part hot water
One part sugar
One part fish sauce
One part vinegar or lemon juice

Remember to mix the hot water to dissolve the sugar before adding the fish sauce or vinegar. Add chopped up bird's eye chilis and grated carrots and then you are done!