PDA

View Full Version : Helmet choice : full face ? open face ? Brand ?

GSR_aaron
05-28-2005, 09:23 AM
Im thinking about starting Auto-X (and Drag, Roadcourse if possible)

this summer.

and have been searching for helmets,

found some full/open faced helmets,

they are...

*RCI full face (from MOPAC) / ??
*HJC open face (from Blackfoot motor..) / 100$
*BELL open face (from Canadian tire) / 150$

I think I can use under 150$ for buying a helmet.

what kind of helmet would be good? between full face and open face?

any suggetions?

RCI full face looks safer, but visiblity is way bad..

at the same time, I dont wanna hit my steering wheel with my nose.. oooops.. :eek:

help me plz~ guys!

CSMRX7
05-28-2005, 09:28 AM
I f you are only going to be doing the above events I would recomend an open face. The HLC is a common choice because it is inexpensive and does the job.

I personally have an HJC fullface but I am also doing some carting.

BigMass
05-28-2005, 09:29 AM
Open face for sure. If you crash your airbag is going to deploy anyways. A full face helmet could actually hinder the safety features in your vehicle. Visibility is better in open face, more air get to your face so you dont sweat etc.

The only reason i would every wear a full face is if i was riding a motorcycle. If Jeremy Clarkson can ride an Ariel Atom at over 150mph with NO helmet then im sure you'll be ok. Obviously it's just IMO. Get what you fell safer with.

Also for reference, almost everyone i see at the road course uses an open face.

GSR_aaron
05-28-2005, 09:32 AM
Wow thx man,, now i got it.. ! :thumbsup:

240droptop
05-28-2005, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by BigMass

The only reason i would every wear a full face is if i was riding a motorcycle. If Jeremy Clarkson can ride an Ariel Atom at over 150mph with NO helmet then im sure you'll be ok.

haha man that was awosme I want one of those so bad lol

CokerRat
05-29-2005, 10:45 AM
Go with a full-face helmet, though you will need to spend around $250. A well-designed, proper-fitting full face helmet does not noticeably reduce your outward visibilty or peripheral vision. It does reduce your ability to look straight down, but why in the world would you do that when driving.

I don't agree with BigMass... I don't see how it compromises any safety systems. Also, every single one of the BMWCA instructors used full-face helmets (with or without visors) at the most recent school.

If you get into a bad crash, wouldn't you rather have something protecting your face?

hjr
05-29-2005, 11:05 AM
you need to check the specs on the series you are planning on racing in. may allow m2000 rated helmets (or m95), but certain higher levels of racing require sa2000 (or 95 depending). sa has a fire retardent layer.

schurchill39
05-29-2005, 12:24 PM
I dont have any stats or anything like that to share but i do suggest getting a full face helmet. If it fits right your vision isint significantly screwed up and your mugg is protected too. I wouldnt want my teeth getting knocked out or my nose broken thats for sure

FiveFreshFish
05-29-2005, 01:07 PM
What about the full face helmets that are hinged so the chin part of the helmet swing up with the visor?

Good for taking a drink from your water bottle without removing your helmet.

bol
05-29-2005, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
What about the full face helmets that are hinged so the chin part of the helmet swing up with the visor?

Good for taking a drink from your water bottle without removing your helmet.

they're crap. they might be 'ok' in a car situation but otherwise they're junk. it doesn't take much force to snap that hinge. they're more for the 'cool' or 'bling' factor, which in a safety application is just retarded.