PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into post secondary... need advice.

Hakkola
05-30-2005, 10:40 AM
Just a little history, in highschool grade 12 I had something like an 83% average, and in Jr high I was getting student of the term awards etc...

Then I took a year and a half of part time studies, (only 7 classes) and I was having hardcore personal health and family health problems and I didn't do too well in MRC and UofC. My average was something like 66%. So I took last year off to work and get medical tests.

Now I would like to go back to school with my ultimate goal being to graduate with a Law Degree. I've been thinking about applying as an adult student which I believe is 21, but at SFU it is 23...
I'm 21 and I'm wondering what the best course of action would be. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Edit - On a side note, I have dual citizenship, Finnish-Canadian. As an English speaking Finnish citizen I have to do a year in the army, (if my doctor decides I'm healthy enough), in their international division, after which I'd have the choice to go and do some peacekeeping with the UN. I could do this anytime before I turn 28 if I want to keep my citizenship. If I do this will this open any more educational oppurtunities or make it easier for me to get into school. If I were to leave for the Army in January I would be at least 23 by the time I get back to Canada.

thinmyster
06-03-2005, 09:36 AM
your allowed two years out of your program i believe at the u of c then after that your subject to re-addmission requirements. which apparently are harder now. In anycase ask the registrar they know everything

ninjak84
06-03-2005, 10:08 AM
You might be a bit screwed....
I don't know if you'll graduate with a law degree before you have to go into the army. Look into it though. It also depends on how many credits you've got already.

Seven years doesn't sound like enough time to do everything on your list....

Hakkola
06-03-2005, 10:18 AM
I'm only obligated to serve in the Finnish army for a year, I have the option of serving with the U.N after that.

Really the only thing I'm concerned about is actually getting accepted in a good university or college, so I'm looking for the best way to get back into school.

finboy
06-03-2005, 11:50 AM
could just give up finnish citizenship and get your law degree :dunno:

Hakkola
06-03-2005, 11:57 AM
I could give it up, I'm not too concerned about the army, I'm just worried about getting back into school. Only reason why I mentioned it was in case I can't get back into school yet, I was wondering if going to the army and doing peacekeeping would look good for my when applying for law school. I'm not worried about getting schooling done before 28, I'm only worried about getting in with good highschool marks but a less than satisfactory GPA.

Super_Geo
06-06-2005, 05:24 PM
Hey Hakkola, how many years of university have you completely already?

Because GPAs are a big thing for Canadian law schools (who don't weigh the LSAT as heavily as American schools do). I think here they're on equal weighting, while at some American law schools the weighting is like 3:1 (LSAT:GPA).

At most of the big time law schools, if you want to enter as a mature student you need to have finished your undergraduate degree for 5 years, and no fewer. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

FiveFreshFish
06-06-2005, 05:44 PM
IIRC, a mature student is >=23 at U of C.

Hakkola
06-06-2005, 05:57 PM
Snap, so looks like I'm going to have to wait, or just go to an American school. Thanks for the info.

I was looking at the SFU website though and if I can gt someone, (ie an old school teacher) to vouch for my health problems and my high accomplishments before said problems it would help on my admissions.

FYI I have only completed 7 university courses.

Hakkola
06-06-2005, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
IIRC, a mature student is >=23 at U of C.

I was looking at the uofc website and it said an adult student is one being 21 years of age, but maybe an "adult" student and "mature" student are two different things, I'll be sure to look into it.

Team_Mclaren
06-06-2005, 06:07 PM
If you enter as a mature student, can't you just do your 4 year undergrad then. Since you have only completed 7 courses and stopped for a while, cant you just re-apply for a new degree and go from there?

Hakkola
06-06-2005, 06:11 PM
That's what I'm wondering, and it is actually possible to get into law school without an undergraduate though it is rare. I'm quite smart so I want to see how well I can do on the LSAT.

benyl
06-06-2005, 06:15 PM
Don't give up your Finnish citizenship. It will open many doors for you.

Team_Mclaren
06-06-2005, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Don't give up your Finnish citizenship. It will open many doors for you.
:werd: dual citizenship always helps in the long run.

here are a few links that might help if you havent already read them:
http://www.ucalgary.ca/admissions/adult_student_admission.html
http://www.law.ucalgary.ca/LLB_Program/academic.html

your best bet probably is to contact the admin office of Law AND UC in general, or SFU if you desire to go there.