PDA

View Full Version : Is a truck good for daily?

Zephyr
05-30-2005, 12:35 PM
Ok so I need opinions on this issue right now. I'm in the current process of looking for another daily car. I'm getting rid of the bimmer and the accord soon and my 240 is going to become a track whore soon so I need a regular car to drive myself around. Problem is the one big thing we are all feeling around the world, the wonderful gas prices. So I was wondering if a truck (NISMO frontier, Toyota Tundra, etc.) would be a good pratical daily car? I need the car basically to tow the 240 to events and basically used as everything else, to and from work, school, pick up some chicks you know the whole nine yards a regular car would do lol.

So should I go for a truck as a daily, or should I just get something like a 2004 Subaru WRX and instead just rent a truck and trailer to tow the 240?

I need opinions, been like running around like a chicken missing its head looking for a SR20DET and haven't been able to really think about this.

ecstasy_civic
05-30-2005, 12:44 PM
I love trucks, and personally, one of the reasons is because of the weather where we live.

So in your case, its hard to say, how often will you be towing your car around if thats all your using it for?

Weapon_R
05-30-2005, 12:45 PM
They're awesome for daily driving and come in handy almost every single day! I've been alternating between my car and truck almost daily now. I wouldn't go all out on one, however, and instead i'd buy a slightly used Sierra - animal trucks that will last forever and do everything you need. Better yet, a diesel 4x4 would be PERFECT.

Zephyr
05-30-2005, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
I love trucks, and personally, one of the reasons is because of the weather where we live.

So in your case, its hard to say, how often will you be towing your car around if thats all your using it for?

Yea I was thinking that...I was thinking close to twice a month..then there are those months that are like a event every weekend....

I sat in this lifted Ford that had that V10 in it, it was pretty cool, then I realized it was a Ford...things went downhill from that point...

Gah...I don't know.. trailer fee is around 100 bucks for two days..I dunno how much it is for a truck..

Zephyr
05-30-2005, 12:47 PM
But say if I were to get a truck, what would be some good ones to get? Factors of towability, gas, and reliability.

ecstasy_civic
05-30-2005, 12:53 PM
Id get anything GM.

Its the same technology for the past 5 yrs.
Durable trucks, ive seen LOTS of problems with all trucks, but ive seen the fewest with GM trucks.

Heres my new truck once my car sells.

FiveFreshFish
05-30-2005, 12:58 PM
Everyone wants to be your friend when it's moving day and you own a truck.

Zephyr
05-30-2005, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Everyone wants to be your friend when it's moving day and you own a truck.

LOL! Never thought about that...

Wow used GMC sierras are cheap!

Weapon_R
05-30-2005, 03:00 PM
They are cheap, and biases aside, they are simply one of the best trucks money can buy. They come very well equipped (i'm not talking about power windows etc, i'm talking about power and towing capabilities) and they last forever. I've seen so many older Sierras with 300k on them and still going for a lot of money.

PS - you will gain new friends when you have a truck. I guarantee you. I receive calls from ppl I barely know sometimes wanting to know if I still "have a truck".

sputnik
05-30-2005, 03:08 PM
If I didnt have a truck... owning a new house would be a pain in the ass.

Idratherbsidewayz
05-30-2005, 03:19 PM
If you don't buy a brand new truck, you could buy a trailer instead of renting...

max_boost
05-30-2005, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Everyone wants to be your friend when it's moving day and you own a truck. haha so true! but none of my friends have trucks so I'm SOL this week when I move.

Anyway, Toyota Tacoma is my pick for a truck. :thumbsup:

Nalgene
05-30-2005, 04:43 PM
toyota or nissan...but i do like the Mazda trucks

lastprodigy
05-30-2005, 05:40 PM
if i were to get a pickup as much as i love imports it would have to be a ram with the hemi......but the sierra c3 or denali is sweet too...as for imports the tundra is a solid chopice with the iForce v8 but looks pretty bland, the frontier looks better imo