PDA

View Full Version : UofC Engineering Registration

sabad66
05-30-2005, 02:51 PM
Hey I'm in the process of registering for my first year of engineering at the UofC. I figured out there is 4 course groups and I randomly chose course group B. I believe I need to choose a complimentary course too. I am unsure of what to do next. Can somebody point me in the right direction as to what to do next? I tried calling the faculty of engineering but they are very busy. Thanks.

Phy
05-30-2005, 03:09 PM
You should have been given a list (if not, find your info here (http://www.eng.ucalgary.ca/students/comp_studies.htm)) of courses that are approved to be taken as "complementary". Pick any one of these that you like/think will be useful, and that you can take first-year, and reg for it.

I'm assuming you already know how to use Infonet, or, gods forbid, the phone reg system.

sabad66
05-30-2005, 03:44 PM
Any suggestions for courses? Psyc205 wont fit my sched nor will econ

GSR Zero
05-30-2005, 04:30 PM
I've heard Psych 205 is an easy course. ECON 209 is a mandatory option for almost all of the facilties in engineering (at least it used to be when I was in ENGG). If you want to reduce your course load, you can always take your option like ECON in the spring and summer.

hustler
05-30-2005, 04:34 PM
take anything you want a lot of people took things like:

anth 201, soci, poli

Phy
05-30-2005, 04:37 PM
Linguistics 20-whatever (the low-grade one) was both fun and full of girls.

That second one gets important after you spend a few years in engg. ;)

KELSTAR
05-30-2005, 04:58 PM
Anthropology 203! very easy course.. just a lot of basic reading and multiple choice tests really! EASY A when I took it

V6-BoI
05-30-2005, 05:03 PM
ECON 201 is a really popular first year option for the engineers. It's easy as long as you read the book.

sabad66
05-30-2005, 05:09 PM
Damn I wish I could take Econ 201 but it doesnt fit in my schedule at all :( Will the registration people mind if i keep switching course groups until one fits econ 201?

kaput
05-30-2005, 06:04 PM

BerserkerCatSplat
05-30-2005, 06:38 PM
I took an English class, 395 if I remember correctly. ECON201 is easy, but you have to take ECON209 later, anyway.

A2VR6
05-30-2005, 07:23 PM
I took ANTH 201... it was ok... it wasnt the average booster I thought it would be (still managed a B+) but i'd reccomend ECON 201 since i hear its ALOT easier...

kaput
05-30-2005, 08:50 PM

sabad66
05-30-2005, 10:17 PM
Last question, how about psyc205? What would be the better choice for chemical engineering psyc205 or econ205?

Team_Mclaren
05-31-2005, 01:01 AM
anth 201 was gay... if you like to know 600billion different kinds of monkeys and their difference, and how they all swam 2000 miles across the ocean, then take that..

Canmorite
05-31-2005, 01:02 PM
Does UofC offer Automotive Engineering?

GSR Zero
05-31-2005, 03:06 PM
No U of C does not offer an Automotive Engineering program. The closes thing is join a project team like Formula SAE, Solar Car or Mini Baja.

kaput
05-31-2005, 06:19 PM

V6-BoI
05-31-2005, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by kaput
Most people I know did worse in their comp GPA 'boosters' then the core engg classes because they are so easy that nobody studies or goes to the class until the last day. Generally speaking you can just make it up as you go and do no work and still get a B or higher but hopefully that isn't a boost. Learn from these words of wisdom.

Yup Kaput's words are exactly true, I was one of those guys. Got bitch slapped in ECON 201, didn't read the book what so ever, and didn't know there were old tests to study from, and that Tracey only makes his tests different colours. Gotta put some effort in it to get an A.

Canmorite
05-31-2005, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by GSR Zero
No U of C does not offer an Automotive Engineering program. The closes thing is join a project team like Formula SAE, Solar Car or Mini Baja.

What's Formula SAE?

sabad66
05-31-2005, 07:49 PM
Is Psyc205 a pretty straight forward and easy course? Any other easy average boosters that you guys suggest?

kaput
05-31-2005, 07:52 PM

A2VR6
05-31-2005, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by kaput
I really suggest that you take something that interests you. That's the point of the comps, branch out a bit. Every course at that level is an easy A if you put in minimal effort so you might as well enjoy it and learn something at the same time. Maybe you'll find something you really want to do and transfer into a double degree program.

:werd: hence the reason why I didnt take econ, I have to take it 2nd year anyways for eng so why take it twice?

H4LFY2nR
05-31-2005, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite

What's Formula SAE?

The Formula SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Racecar Design Competition is an annual design series hosted by the SAE. The competition has been around since 1981 and has grown into the largest intercollegiate engineering design competition on the globe. 180 teams from first-class engineering and technical schools around the world compete in the four Formula SAE competitions; FSAE Detroit, Formula-Student in the United Kingdom, Formula Australasia in Australia and Formula Japan. These teams are challenged to design, manufacture, test and race an open wheeled racecar for use by a weekend autocross racer. The number of competitors is continuously increasing, meaning that many new ideas and technologies are introduced to competition each year. The University of Calgary strives to be an innovator and a strong competitor.

The University of Calgary Formula SAE Design Team has been in existence since 1997. The team was brought to fruition based on the fundamental idea that to be more competitive in the engineering industry graduating engineers should have practical design knowledge and hands on experience. Being a young team in this competition, each year we strive to improve our engineering and ourselves. Our car is praised for its design and competitive nature, continually showing that we Albertans do know how to race. The 2006 car is under development and well on its way to becoming a show-stopper at the new Formula SAE West event in California in 2006.

We, the University of Calgary Formula SAE Racecar Design Team, truly hope that we can make a difference in the quality of engineers and their education by providing a vehicle for practical experience and real world challenges. We hope you, too, will consider supporting our endeavors.

Kelsey Gier
University of Calgary FSAE Racecar Design Team
Team Manager 2004/05

It's a team run by Mechanical and Manufacturing. This July they are racing in England. Driver included it weighs ~600lbs and is powered by a certain 600cc motorcyle engine from Honda ;) . I plan on joining this upcoming year.

H4LFY2nR
05-31-2005, 08:49 PM
BTW I took Pysc205. It was easy. 3 in class MC midterms, 75 question MC final. I spent the night before skim reading the notes posted on the internet and the text for each exam and finish with a B. If you actually read all the notes and read the chapters (3 chapters per exam, non cumulative final) you could get 100% guarunteed. I recomend taking it.

Canmorite
05-31-2005, 09:04 PM
How and where do I join this SAE Formula program!?

A2VR6
05-31-2005, 09:50 PM

They will usually recruit sometime in september. But prepare to spend ALOT of time with the team. Im probably going to join the team as well this year.

GSR Zero
05-31-2005, 10:57 PM

Check out their website: http://www.enme.ucalgary.ca/fsae/
There is contact info there. I know they are busy getting the car ready for the race but I'm sure someone will get back to you soon.

Here's a pic of the car (not sure how recent). I was on the team back in the day when UofC sent their first entry to the race. Good old side engine design. But ya, great experience. The car is designed and built from the ground up by Engineering students (mainly Mechanical). Definitely recommend it but as said before, expect to spend a lot of time on it. There is a lot of dedication.

Phy
06-01-2005, 10:00 AM