PDA

View Full Version : Digital Rebet XT - First Impressions

Z_Fan
05-30-2005, 06:15 PM
Here are some pictures taken with my new Digital Rebel XT.

Now, ONE of these images is not from the Rebel, but from a Canon G2. See if you can determine what one it is just by looking at these images:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/whuzzup/IMG_2818.jpg
This is close to everything this cat does in a single day. Except for the victory laps after each dump.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/whuzzup/IMG_2853.jpg
2003 Nissan Sentra SPEC-V SE-R near Kananaskis Village

http://www.members.shaw.ca/whuzzup/IMG_2918.jpg
Me teeing off today on a hole (back-nine) at Kananaskis Mount Lorette.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/whuzzup/IMG_2931.jpg
The green on a par-3 over the water. (Tee boxes are way right out of frame)

http://www.members.shaw.ca/whuzzup/IMG_2969.jpg
A short par 3 over the river on the back nine of Mount Lorette.

Ekliptix
05-30-2005, 06:40 PM
The last one is the G2.

benyl
05-30-2005, 06:46 PM
It is either the one with the sentra or the last one.

The one with the sentra has some weird exposure. The sky is blown out but everything else is a little underexposed with bad contrast. Says to me it is a shitty lens.

The last one is also blown out and the detail isn't there like the other pics. It could be a bad compression algorithm too.

But then again, I could totally be wrong.

Z_Fan
05-30-2005, 07:42 PM
The one with the Sentra in it had the sky blown out. I put in some dot which is why it might look funny.

The last one was a little blown out - I didn't attempt to fix it. There were many images that were blown out and this was something that surprised me quite a bit.

The last one is a Digital Rebel XT photo...and it's the G2 photo is not the Sentra either! Hmmmmmm...

I will post up some other examples of ones that were really blown out. But that will have to wait until later...

Thaco
05-30-2005, 07:48 PM
if i had photoshop on this coputer i'd just save them and check the exif info :P that would be one sure fire way

Dj_Stylz
05-30-2005, 07:48 PM
The Second Last one is the G2?

Kaos
05-30-2005, 07:54 PM
Are you really liking the rebel?
I was gonna buy one but wasnt sure if it as worth the money.

Z_Fan
05-30-2005, 10:09 PM
Well, I like the Rebel, but unfortunately I think I need more lenses and I have a lot of reading so I know WTF I am doing...

The shots I took today were with this lens:

EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Which is not the one that normally comes with the thing. That is this lens:

EF-S 18-55/3.5-5.6 USM

The Rebel is way over my head. I have a lot of reading to do before I understand everything that it can do. Someone who is camera equipment competent can tell me this...

Would my shots get overexposed because the camera doesn't work right in really bright light because of the f/range that the lens has???

A lot of my pictures on the Rebel were absolutely horrid. In a simple "point and click" comparison using auto modes, the Canon G2 was vastly superior to the Digital Rebel XT in what it captured in comparison to reality.

See next post and I'll give specific examples...perhaps the learned folk can point me in the right direction since I know very little about cameras!

Z_Fan
05-30-2005, 10:15 PM
http://www.members.shaw.ca/whuzzup/129-2914_IMG_G2.jpg
Canon G2

http://www.members.shaw.ca/whuzzup/IMG_2858_XT.jpg
Digital Rebel XT

http://www.members.shaw.ca/whuzzup/129-2919_IMG_G2.jpg
Canon G2

http://www.members.shaw.ca/whuzzup/IMG_2981_X2.jpg
Digital Rebel XT

http://www.members.shaw.ca/whuzzup/IMG_2916_G2.jpg
Canon G2

http://www.members.shaw.ca/whuzzup/IMG_2920_XT.jpg
Digital Rebel XT

Ok. So, WTF am I doing wrong? Ideas/comments/suggestions very welcome!

I think the lens costs about a thousand bucks. (Guessing) Maybe it is not that expensive. Maybe it's 800 or so...I dunno.

Canmorite
05-30-2005, 10:18 PM
What lens are you talking about?

I have the same camera. Stock lens, isn't that great. What filter(s) are you using if any?

For really sunny days, get a 58mm circular polarizing filter. They work wonders.

Did you shoot those pictures on manual or fully auto mode?

benyl
05-30-2005, 10:22 PM
Ok, lens cost is not necessarily directly proportional to quality. It often is, but I don't know much about the new breed of EF-S lenses.

What I can tell you is that the lens you have (it could be a bad copy) doesn't have very good contrast. The lens on the G2 seems better.

I have never really shot in full auto mode on DSLR, so I can't tell you what you are doing wrong.

It is possible that your XT has a faulty light meter.

One thing to realize is that you light meter is dependant on the lens you have infront of it. The lens you have only opens to F4 at it's widest and will meter at that Fstop. When you zoom to the 85mm, it will meter at 5.6

It maybe that the camera is not seeing enough light and then overexposing (blowing out) the details of the shot.

Sorry, I can't give you a concrete answer.

Z_Fan
05-30-2005, 10:28 PM
The pictures were shot on full auto mode.

It was very bright outside. Hardly any clouds at all. Early in the day it was like no clouds...very bright sun...

There was NO filter at all. I have no filters that fit this lens. The only filter I got fits the stock lens of 58mm and I need 67mm filters.

The XT seemed to take fantastic pictures indoors when there was no bright sunlight. I didn't post those at all...other than the one of the cat which I had to shoot three times because the angle from other side was completely blown out because direct sunlight was coming in. So when I shot away from the sun is how the cat picture was shot...

Obviously it doesn't like super bright light and blows out all the highlight detail. :dunno:

Strider
05-30-2005, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Z_Fan

Ok. So, WTF am I doing wrong? Ideas/comments/suggestions very welcome!

Using auto mode...

maybe try a different metering mode...

or else try taking lots of pictures using manual mode and learn to use it quick

benyl
05-30-2005, 10:46 PM
He is shooting in AUTO mode... you can't really change anything except the file size it save as.

but I could be wrong on the XT

Ben
05-31-2005, 02:33 AM
When you buy a camera like a DSLR, it takes a little more patience and care spent on setting up the photograph, always checking your light meter levels and exposure settings for shutter speed and aperture. The days of walking around with your arms out infront of you like a zombi, snapping pics of stuff by watching the lcd are gone and over with, haha (sorry, was at a car show this weekend, hilarious watching the people flock to the models and all of them have outstretched arms taking pics which I know wont turn out.)

As for settings, my camera RARELY leaves M, EVER, except maybe once in a blue moon when i'm out with friends shooting indoor pub shots for fun, which I might turn to the nightshot flash feature because I dont have the time to monitor light levels and junk with fast candid fun shots being used for nothing more than just shits and giggles. Anything more than that, and Manual is the only way you'll know you're getting the photo result YOU want. I like to be able to grab the exact exposure I'm looking for because obviously, Auto doesn't do a good enough job, as the overexposure levels are attrocious in those golf course photos. As benyl did mention, I have to question whether your light meter is bunk, because thats not just a little bit off, thats WAY off.

I would be more than happy to offer advice/help at a very reasonable rate :tongue:

Head out some place and snap photos of the same stuff with my camera and your camera, bring a laptop and compare whats what. Can also make sense of all the jargon for ya too, it seems overwhelming at first, but it's easy to pick up after a while if explained properly.

Z_Fan
05-31-2005, 09:22 AM
^

OK. :D

I have to admit when I got the G2 I slowly became accustomed to using the LCD to frame photos. The ease of use of the G2 was really nice. It works incredibly indoors and outdoors and takes excellent pictures in AUTO mode. I did play with the M settings on that camera quite a bit to try to achieve effects.

I know I will have to use the M setting pretty much exclusively on the Digital Rebel. But honestly I think the pictures that AUTO provides should have been much better than what I got here...

I'll take a few more pictures (out doors) with the Rebel (maybe today) and make certain I know exactly what the settings are/were for the photo and see if I can get better results.

Thaco
05-31-2005, 10:09 AM
i personally rarely use the M mode on my rebel... i am always in Av or Tv... you really rarely need full manual. not only that but full manual is very time consuming and a little overwhelming when you have to check every single setting every single shot.

D'z Nutz
05-31-2005, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Thaco
i personally rarely use the M mode on my rebel... i am always in Av or Tv... you really rarely need full manual. not only that but full manual is very time consuming and a little overwhelming when you have to check every single setting every single shot.

No offense or anything man, but that's like buying a Lexus to drive to the bus stop! Where's the fun in that?

benyl
05-31-2005, 10:40 AM

You need to slow down then. I only use AV or TV if I am trying to get "snap shots". It allows me control over DOF, but other than that, you may as well use AUTO.

C4S
05-31-2005, 11:01 AM
350D is nice camera .. and damn good value to fit my budget too.. but .. it is too damn small for me ... :cry: :cry:

turboMiata
05-31-2005, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
ISO setting too high?

please, ISO has nothing to do with metering or exposure.

does the Rebel XT have an option that lets you select wich part of the feild its gonna take the light meter reading from, or does it just do a white balance average and go from there?

strike two. white balance relates to the light temperature. again, nothing to do with metering or exposure.

Don't use the auto mode. Instead, use "P". It's almost like auto but more flexible. try it. at some point, you should learn how to use Av or Tv. With shots, like this, check out the histogram after you take the shot. you are overexposing, therefore you'll see the values pushed to the right. In Av or Tv modes, you can adjust the exposure bias maybe 1/2 stop to the left to compensate.

maybe your meter does need to be calibrated.

benyl
05-31-2005, 11:20 AM
:drama:

Z-Fan, take you camera back to where you got it and compare it to another body. If you can't do that, then bring it to the Canon service center in the NE. It is near the Jaguar dealership.

turboMiata
05-31-2005, 11:40 AM

haha hey man I've never really used a Digi SLR, my logic proccess was in full swing.
Be an ass if you want, but ive never said i was the all knowing camera Guru, hahaha

Everyone here is trying to give Z_Fan advice on a problem on his camera. If you have something informed and meaningful to share, please do so. Otherwise, let's not steer him in the wrong direction.

benyl
05-31-2005, 11:51 AM

and a High ISO film will result in over exposed pictures if the camera does not have the ISO setting set correctly....

Strike three, your out!

This is digital, not film. The camera knows what the "sensor" setting is at. It cannot over expose if setting is incorrect.

Also, only a completely manual SLR will overexpose film if not set correctly. Most modern SLR cameras (the last 15 years or so) read the bar code on the film cannister and set the correct ISO. Even the point and shoot film cameras that you buy for $20 at walmart do this.

so sorry you all knowing camera GOD for sticking my nose in a camera thread and placing an opinion while trying to learn something at the same time

You "opinion" was stated as fact. You asked a question in a manner in which you acted like you knew what you were talking about. TurboMiata simply corrected your misinformation.

Do some research and understand what white balance is.

Don't know what that has to do with wangs.

Z_Fan
05-31-2005, 12:12 PM

Anyhow, I'm going to see about taking some more pics and I'll post them up later with the G2 beside it. I'll maybe even take some in M mode and see if I can improve things.

It seems to take nice pictures indoors.

Ben
05-31-2005, 12:39 PM
LoL, this thread is funny.

AV and TV are fine, but M GUARANTEES identical exposure levels on similarly lit shots. With AV or TV, if you are taking multiple photos in a similar lit environment (indoor car shows are a huge example), and if you have it set on Aperture Priority or Shutter Priority, the camera will often change the the shutter speed or aperture on you, up and down even though the lighting barely, if at all, changed, this results in photos in your series that turn out too dark or too light, they are not consistant.

Hey, M isnt for everyone, but for me personally it's really the only way to go, that and the fact I'm super quick at setting the camera up for lighting conditions anyhow, it's just as fast using M as it would be using auto. Comes with experience. I took just shy of 40000 photos last year alone. If M to you is too time consuming and whatnot, what are you doing buying a DSLR in the first place. [Everyones a pro these days].

That said, we're trying to help Z-Fan here, and unless you know what you're talking about and can back it up with examples much like benyl TurboMiata, and myself have been doing because he have LOTS of experience with these kinds of cameras, please stop posting, because it's not helping. If you have legitimate questions, by all means ask, just dont post as fact when it's not.

Strider
05-31-2005, 12:42 PM
Check the metering mode on both of your cameras...

My guess is that your rebel is set on spot metering (center), and your G2 is probably average or center-weighted average. That could explain the huge difference in metering between the cameras.

In your outdoor pics, it looks like the rebel is metering off of a bunch of dark trees, and adjusting the exposure so that they are nicely exposed, while everything else is blown out.

Fuji
05-31-2005, 01:11 PM

haha hey man I've never really used a Digi SLR, my logic proccess was in full swing.
Be an ass if you want, but ive never said i was the all knowing camera Guru, hahaha

and a High ISO film will result in over exposed pictures if the camera does not have the ISO setting set correctly....

so sorry you all knowing camera GOD for sticking my nose in a camera thread and placing an opinion while trying to learn something at the same time, your E-Wang is far bigger than my E-wang.....

hahaha :drama: :whocares:

Uh oh... here I am back to giving you a hard time as usual ( no i have nothing better to do)... Don't you ever get tired of being wrong? Just admit it once in a while instead of thinking everyone is a internet bully. no one will blame you, it's human. There are many threads with you providing wrong or erroneous information. Don't be screwin people over! haha

We won't think your less cool for admitting your wrong you know. lol

Thaco
05-31-2005, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Ben

If M to you is too time consuming and whatnot, what are you doing buying a DSLR in the first place. [Everyones a pro these days].
Sorry, my mistake, i was unaware that a digital rebel was a PRO dslr, i will rethink my purchase next time i decide to buy a consumer level product.

Ben
05-31-2005, 01:13 PM
Sorry, my mistake, i was unaware that a digital rebel was a PRO dslr, i will rethink my purchase next time i decide to buy a consumer level product.

It's not a pro camera at all buddy, but it does OPERATE LIKE ONE as far as the Shooting modes go. Manual Mode, and the ability to customize how the photo turns out is what makes these cameras so nice to have, whats the point of owning one if you use it like any other bargain basket point and shoot.

benyl
05-31-2005, 01:19 PM

actaully its the metal stripes on the film canister that it reads, and you can overide the automaitc ISO setting, well at least on mine it you can

oops, my bad. I meant the DX encoding. Look like a bar code to me.

(See Fuji, I can admit when I am wrong). ;)

Fuji
05-31-2005, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by benyl

oops, my bad. I meant the DX encoding. Look like a bar code to me.

(See Fuji, I can admit when I am wrong). ;)

Thanks! See (Rickdatuner) we can all learn from Benyl :rofl:

turboMiata
05-31-2005, 01:26 PM
so sorry you all knowing camera GOD for sticking my nose in a camera thread and placing an opinion while trying to learn something at the same time, your E-Wang is far bigger than my E-wang.....

damn these internet Bully's :dunno: :rofl:

the only thing you have contributed in this thread is misinformation and name calling. when people prove you wrong, you call them names and claim to be the victim. go whine somewhere else. if you want to add to this, post something valuable and factual like what strider had done above.

RickDaTuner
05-31-2005, 03:07 PM
okay i was wrong haha you camera geeks can have your thread back; I admited i was wrong? i guess next time I will put it in plain engrish

hahah

and in good faith i will remove all my previous posts
but you guys are still over the top:nut:

benyl
05-31-2005, 03:19 PM
okay i was wrong haha you camera geeks can have your thread back; I admited i was wrong? i guess next time I will put it in plain engrish

Wow, still calling us names eh?

and engrish? You aren't getting racial here are you? That isn't a typo, cause the 'r' is no where near the 'l' on the keyboard. Are you attacking our asian heritage?

RickDaTuner
05-31-2005, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Wow, still calling us names eh?

and engrish? You aren't getting racial here are you? That isn't a typo, cause the 'r' is no where near the 'l' on the keyboard. Are you attacking our asian heritage?

you honestly cant be taking all of this seriously? as a mod and relativly older person you should be Above all this. Honestly I respect all you guys, you wanna tell me I'm wrong then go ahead and tell me im wrong.

you and turboMiata have taken all this way out of context..

so go ahead have your fun, what do i care?

RickDaTuner
05-31-2005, 03:35 PM
but yeah anyway why dont one of you mods do us all a favour and delete the garbage post's so that Z_fan can have his thread back:thumbsup:

Fuji
05-31-2005, 03:35 PM

you honestly cant be taking all of this seriously? as a mod and relativly older person you should be Above all this. Honestly I respect all you guys, you wanna tell me I'm wrong then go ahead and tell me im wrong.

you and turboMiata have taken all this way out of context..

so go ahead have your fun, what do i care?

He's not a mod and hes not older either lol

Anyways, I think that you should maybe just think about things before you type. Intentional or not people construe things in the way they want.

Back on topic now ... cameras.

Z_Fan
05-31-2005, 03:37 PM
:devil:

I'm sorry to interfere in the bitchfest this thread turned into...

I have an idea...if you want to bitch about something...send a PM because everyone else reading doesn't care...or at least...I'm sure more people don't care than do...

SO...personally I'd like to discuss cameras and how to make them function better...

Let's get everyone updated on what is going on...

Firstly, each camera (The G2 and the XT) when in AUTO mode use evaluative metering. The XT takes an average of all its AF points and attempts to determine the settings for the shot. The G2 does the same thing. You can NOT control the metering method while using the AUTO functions of either camera. At least, that's what the manual says...in either case, you must use one of the other modes in order to alter the metering methods.

For some reason, still unknown to me, the Rebel XT was not establishing the correct Tv (Shutter Speed) and Av (Aperture) settings when in AUTO. BOTH cameras were unable to establish these settings ideally unless you put them into manual mode and just adjust until the metering is exact. For some reason, the G2 just seemed to get a lot closer to reality while in AUTO mode as compared to the XT. The G2 was setting shutter speeds of 1/640 and a 7.1 aperture and the XT was setting 1/125 with a 5.6 aperture. So, clearly we've got the makings of massive overexposure and that the results seen are in fact a logical and correct result based on the settings the XT utilized to capture the image.

Frankly, I had just got the camera the day before I took these pictures, and didn't have any opportunity to really read the book. So I was not in a position to know anything about the camera or how it functions...but naturally...I wanted to use it right away!

Today I spent about one hour just quickly skimming the manual for the Rebel XT. I then took the camera outside and starting shooting in M mode. I found it extremely easy to adjust the Tv and Av settings and the shots it took were fantastic. Even the shots the G2 took in M mode were even better than the AUTO mode (albeit no where near as much improvement like the XT saw - just cuz XT was so far off in AUTO mode). Because the photographs look stellar when using the M mode, and because the settings were established using the cameras metering, obviously there is little or nothing wrong with the metering sensor. Something is going haywire in AUTO mode. But the metering sensor definitely works right as it establishes the correct exposure in M mode.

Also, I did several tests shooting in M mode in RAW format. I even forced the camera into taking overexposed shots in an attempt to simulate the bad settings of AUTO. I was extremely impressed by the software's capability to correct (or atleast attempt to correct) an overexposed photograph. This is something that I simply could not achieve with my other photos via Photoshop because they were all taken in JPG format. The flexibility of RAW is definitely awesome...

Bottom line, I'm not sure why the Digital Rebel XT AUTO mode was so poor in bright light, but shooting in M mode has resulted in fantastic results and I suspect I'll never shoot in anything except M mode. (Or very rarely to be certain...) I tend to agree with Ben that the time it takes to set up the shot is minimal. Like a second or two. So no big deal IMO.

The good news is that I will be going to Kananaskis again and golfing both courses there again in the near future - and by that point I'll be armed with much more experience with the camera. Hell, even right now I could go back and take far superior pictures just by using M mode.

As to why the XT doesn't like bright light, I'm not sure - but since I don't plan on ever using AUTO outdoors again, I'm not sure it matters!

lint
05-31-2005, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Ben

It's not a pro camera at all buddy, but it does OPERATE LIKE ONE as far as the Shooting modes go. Manual Mode, and the ability to customize how the photo turns out is what makes these cameras so nice to have, whats the point of owning one if you use it like any other bargain basket point and shoot.

There are plenty of pro-sumer point and shoot cameras that offer full manual control. Even the lowly A80 that I started out with.

Full manual is not the only way to customize a shot. Even in Av or Tv mode, you set the white balance, the exposure compensation, the iso.

Originally posted by Ben
If M to you is too time consuming and whatnot, what are you doing buying a DSLR in the first place.

So you're wasting the cameras potential by setting ONLY 5 parameters instead of 6? :rolleyes:

I would say that people are moving towards consumer DSLRs because for one, the price point on them has dropped dramatically, allowing more people to get more serious into photography. People like me buy them because it's a nice hobby, and a learning experience. Also, even with the loads of manual controls that higher end point and shoot cameras provide, there is still a limit to what you can do. Not all accept lens add ons, ISO is limited, shutter lag gets annoying, etc.

Questioning someone's purchase of a DSLR because they don't use it the same way you do reeks of arrogance. It's his money, let him spend it/waste it as he pleases.

You would think that those into photography would be more open to welcoming new users, sharing your knowledge, happy that more people share in something that you enjoy. Instead I mostly see posturing about who is a pro, who isn't, who's not using their camera "properly", ridiculing those who ask questions.

Nice.

Originally posted by Ben
[Everyones a pro these days]

Does anyone contributing in this thread make their bread and butter solely through photography? No? Seems like even those who aren't pros like to think they are.

Thaco
05-31-2005, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by lint

Does anyone contributing in this thread make their bread and butter solely through photography? No? Seems like even those who aren't pros like to think they are.

not only that, but i am getting sick of the "everybody thinks they are a pro" comment, i know I (and i am pretty sure Rick) never claimed to be a pro...

and beleive it or not, Ben, at one point, you too were a beginner, wether you want to admit it or not..

and i constantly see this "if you need any questions answered go ahead and just ask, we will help you" and then any time anyone does ask a legitmiate question they either get ignored or belittled.

it is possible to respond to a post without being an ass.

Ben
06-01-2005, 03:01 AM
*laughs*

Ah this is good. Anyhow, here it goes. Not once did I say I was a pro, nor did I comment that I am better than anyone, or point out whos pro and whos not, or for that matter, insult anyone on their decisions, simply stating my observations from being in the industry, that it's kind of a waste to buy a camera which has the ability to take such awesome photos, and then say "Meh, takes too long so I'll settle for less" so to speak. I was offering some insight on something I have a good amount of experience with and as is apparantly evident, so happens to differ from what other people seem to think. I really dont know what to say, other than the fact that I feel Manual mode is by far the best way to assure perfect photos, this has been the case for all the events and whatnot I have covered, and when I'm out doing personal work, has yielded the highest net return of usable photos for clients and even my own personal collections than using the other modes on the camera. People in this thread were looking for advice, I shared my experience and favored method, which apparantly worked out well with Z_Fan and his testing today, and I then questioned others on why they feel it's too time consuming if you have the means to do it, and here I am being yelled at for it. Calling me an Ass? Rereading the posts it kinda looks like I was tame compared to others. Hell, I wasn't even thinking I was coming off mean and if I was, I appologize. I simply used stern questioning on something that I felt pretty surefire and proper to be a good way to get the perfect photo exposure, and then being told I'm wrong. (Like trying to tell me the earth is square or something). We all have our ways, this I know, you're welcome to do things however you like, merely a suggestion based on results.

And just because I seem to have pissed off a few of you up and coming photographers (here I am being arrogant again, because that was my original goal :rolleyes: ), the [Everyones a pro these days] comment was a generalization based on the fact technology has come so far in the past few years, dramaticly slashing the ground floor pricing on pro/like quality equipment. More and more people getting into the hobby of photography (which is awesome, finally it's no longer looked at as a loner, nerdy sort of art form, its now a respected and technologically advanced hobby), and as such, more and more people thinking because they have nice gear they can do wonders. This is great, ambition is crucial to your success, however some dont realize that it does not matter what kind of gear you have in your hand, but what kind of gear you have in the right side of your brain. Photography is an art form, and being able to effect a photograph that catches the mood (or the clients mood) is more based on the user and less on the equipment. I've seen some insanely good photos come from entry level point and shoot cameras, and I've seen some extremely bad photos coming from multi-thousand dollar setups of the same thing. What camera you have may make a difference in the mediums you can present your work, however it wont change the fact that it's a tasteful, well framed, properly exposed, emotional image of something or someone. Seeing the image before it's snapped, those kinds of things make a big difference. Your 'style' of photography is what gets you hired, much like musicians, or models, or actors. You create a style all your own, and express yourself through your images. If people like your style, or more importantly your versatility to be able to envelope your style around the clients demands, this will help you out.

Of course I was a beginner at one time, hell, I'm still a rookie, what kind of question is that, this was never a talk about beginners and pros, it was about learning the ins and outs of a new DSLR camera, and sourcing out overexposure issues with Z_Fans cam. No, I dont make my bread and butter solely on photography, noone here said they did, I have however made a good chunk of change doing it, and have have well over a decade of experience with Single Lens Reflex cameras, as do others in this thread who sport lots of experience, so arrogant or not, I'd like to think I at least have some experience and paid gigs to back up my talk. I'm NOT spouting off bullshit and misdirection just to get a laugh at the end of the day like people do in the car related threads. If people can learn from my trials and tribulations over the years, hey, all the power to ya.

Cheers and happy clicking.

C4S
06-01-2005, 03:48 AM
:) easy easy.. let's keep on cheering Z_fan new toy! :)

Photography is fun ... chatting about cars is also fun! :)

Z_Fan
06-01-2005, 09:57 AM
For the record, my wife knows someone who also has a Rebel XT and her camera takes excellent pictures in AUTO mode. No overexposure like mine does...:dunno:

She also said with her previous Rebel she had to take it into get fixed on two occasions!

In any case - I suppose I should take it in and get it looked at. But on the other hand I am happy that it will take good pictures in the mode I am most likely to use.

benyl
06-01-2005, 10:01 AM
I would get it looked at. From time to time, my camera goes in the hand of a point and shoot person. I then put it on AUTO for them.

Kaos
06-01-2005, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Z_Fan
For the record, my wife knows someone who also has a Rebel XT and her camera takes excellent pictures in AUTO mode. No overexposure like mine does...:dunno:

She also said with her previous Rebel she had to take it into get fixed on two occasions!

In any case - I suppose I should take it in and get it looked at. But on the other hand I am happy that it will take good pictures in the mode I am most likely to use.

So quality-wise (pic quality, user friendly options, etc...) which camera would you stick with?
Im guessing you would take the G2 over the rebel?
Im asking this because I am shopping for a camera so I can take professional-like pictures ;)

Z_Fan
06-01-2005, 10:50 AM
I guess I'll get my camera looked at. I know I should and it costs too much to not have it working right.

I would take the Rebel XT over the G2 all day long.

The G2 won't provide the flexibility the Rebel XT can. The ability to have mutliple lenses for different purposes ensures that.

I'm sure if my Rebel XT worked correctly in AUTO mode, it would even be more obvious of a choice.

But the G2 is definitely all you need if you plan on taking great pictures used only for making photographic prints or small enlargements. It has all the necessary controls to shoot in M mode and it takes even better pictures if you do that! It's a GREAT camera. Just 4MP isn't enough for what I want.

Khyron
06-02-2005, 11:52 PM
Back to the XT...

I also bought one awhile back for my trip to Florida, and I love it. Some people say it's too small, I found it perfect while travelling.

A few things I've found - the auto-white balance is ass. If you are outside and it's sunny, use the sunny setting not the "auto". If indoors, the custom white balance seemed to work quite well.

Also, the default paramater setting has the saturation up a notch - I dropped it back.

Here's a few I took with the cheapo kit lens:

http://www.nexus-point.net/pictures/disney-world/IMG_0860.jpg

http://www.nexus-point.net/pictures/disney-world/IMG_0875.jpg

http://www.nexus-point.net/pictures/disney-world/IMG_0884.jpg

http://www.nexus-point.net/pictures/disney-world/IMG_0863.jpg

Khyron