PDA

View Full Version : Odor from A/C

00redLUDE
05-30-2005, 11:36 PM
Does your BMW do the same thing? Turn on the a/c, then when you turn it off there is a foul smell for a few minutes afterward. Yes I know this can happen to any car but just wondering if any of your BMW have this problem?

I had it explained to me that there is bacteria or mold or whatever growing in the a/c system that causes the smell. Have been told you should turn off the a/c for about 5 minutes before you stop the car to prevent or minimize this but if this doesn't work you can put some sort of liquid in the a/c system somewhere to try to kill the cause of the smell.

Any comments?

Weapon_R
05-30-2005, 11:36 PM
Does yours smell like fish?

00redLUDE
05-31-2005, 12:07 AM
Well my wife tells me, in her opinion, it smells like a damp cloth that has been sitting around for a few days. Don't know if it smells like fish? Why, does it make a difference in terms of the cause or cure?

ACS-e36
05-31-2005, 12:39 AM
i get that too.... i dont think theres a cure for it

nismodrifter
05-31-2005, 12:56 AM
not sure on specifics as I have no clue about BMW's from a technical aspect but try cleaning/replacing your cabin filter.

and yes, you should turn OFF your AC during the last little bit of your drive and turn up fan speed to eliminate condensation from the system.

I'm having the same problem in my VW, will try and fix it tomorrow and report backz0rs with results.

Also have heard that blasting your heat for like 5-10mins will kill the bacteria/odor as well.

GQBalla
05-31-2005, 01:03 AM
ohhh i know the smell of the damp cloth thingy

kinda stinks but you really cant describe the smell of it

Willie Bobo
05-31-2005, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by 00redLUDE
but if this doesn't work you can put some sort of liquid in the a/c system somewhere to try to kill the cause of the smell.

Any comments?

Yes, Wurth (http://www.wurthcanada.com/) makes such a product, in a spray can. Try the dealer (as i don't think you can buy from them directly.)

interlude
05-31-2005, 11:29 AM
There is a cure.. I fixed it on my 2000 323i, and now I just fixed it on my 2000 328ci

Just pick up a nice scented lysol aerosol can from safeway.

Open your hood, right underneath the windshield, there is a vent.

Start your car, and run it on the hottest setting, and on high.. spray the lysol into the vent under the hood. I usually spray a shit load. Your car is gonna smell like lysol for a bit, thats why get something that smells kinda nice lol

also.. make sure all your windows are rolled down. Run the car for 10 minutes to try to vent out all the lysol smell.

hope this works for you guys

I did this on my dads odyssey as well.. works great!

*NOTE*

I would double check the vent first before spraying anything into it. Just turn your heat on high and put your hand by the vent, you should feel the air being sucked into it.

FiveFreshFish
05-31-2005, 11:41 AM
Just replace the cabin filter.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=64119069895

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=64311000004

interlude
05-31-2005, 03:36 PM
the smell isnt from the cabin filter. its from using the A/C, all the condensation builds and forms mildue.. some lysol will kill it.

Weapon_R
05-31-2005, 03:40 PM
The reason I ask is because my friends Neon AC smells like fish and we were trying to pinpoint the problem. Its only noticable when the AC is turned on. Does anyone know if lysol will fix it? And where should we pour it?

interlude
05-31-2005, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by interlude
There is a cure.. I fixed it on my 2000 323i, and now I just fixed it on my 2000 328ci

Just pick up a nice scented lysol aerosol can from safeway.

Open your hood, right underneath the windshield, there is a vent.

Start your car, and run it on the hottest setting, and on high.. spray the lysol into the vent under the hood. I usually spray a shit load. Your car is gonna smell like lysol for a bit, thats why get something that smells kinda nice lol

also.. make sure all your windows are rolled down. Run the car for 10 minutes to try to vent out all the lysol smell.

hope this works for you guys

I did this on my dads odyssey as well.. works great!

*NOTE*

I would double check the vent first before spraying anything into it. Just turn your heat on high and put your hand by the vent, you should feel the air being sucked into it.

try that.. but the odor should come after you turn off the A/C

maybe someone poured nookmum (spelling?) into your vents haha

bigboom
05-31-2005, 04:09 PM
i know my car had that problem but what happened was the ac filter got replaced and it was gone.

interlude
05-31-2005, 05:12 PM
well.. for bmw's.. thats how I got rid of the foul smell

Weapon_R
05-31-2005, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by interlude

try that.. but the odor should come after you turn off the A/C

maybe someone poured nookmum (spelling?) into your vents haha

It also comes after the AC is turned off on the neon.

interlude
05-31-2005, 05:54 PM
try the lysol.. open the hood.. turn the heat on high.. and see if there is a vent thats sucking in air.. spray the lysol in

*disclaimer* the method I posted works on my bmw and my dads honda odyssey, I dont know what its like on a neon.

sillyd
06-01-2005, 01:12 AM
Do that stuff ^ to get rid of the smell. It smells because there is a mold/mildew or whatever that grows in a/c systems. Many people are allergic to this stuff and a/c makes them sneeze. To help prevent it, run your a/c at least every couple months and turn it off before you stop to dry out the system.

Xtrema
06-01-2005, 01:59 PM
Lysol works, try the antibaterial ones, they are even better.

maxboost_R
06-01-2005, 07:04 PM
I work at calgary bmw, what we usually do when a customer complains of a/c odour is we usually replace the microfilters, and use a mint a spray where you place the microfilters, or we use this fogger machine that ususally deodourizes the whole a/c system, both these fixes usually work for a while.

kerr
06-09-2005, 09:56 AM
Hey I have the same problem on my 98 540i. Check out this website it will solve all your problems it even has step by step pictures. www.bmwtips.com. Then click on the "Tips and Tricks" tab, scroll down to maintenance and check tip 12 (Foul A/C smell).:thumbsup:

00redLUDE
06-09-2005, 01:44 PM
^^^^ Tried clicking on the link and all that comes up is a WorldClient box requesting e-mail and password? Any ideas??:dunno: :dunno:

kerr
06-09-2005, 02:55 PM
Yea it did that to me just go to your browser and type it in, that worked for me.

legendboy
06-09-2005, 03:28 PM
The smell is caused by the a/c evaporator canister. Like when you put your windshield defrost on. It automatically turns the a/c on to remove moisture from the air before it hits your windshield.

Some smell, some don't :dunno:

DC328is
06-16-2005, 04:55 PM
spray stuff in it

00redLUDE
06-17-2005, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by DC328is
spray stuff in it

Nothing personal... but that was NOT helpful at all, thanks anyways. :dunno:

GQBalla
07-14-2005, 08:32 PM
hrmmm my civic just started to do this...recently you can't smell it when the A/C is on only when you turn the A/C off than you can smell it....im wondering if i should try the lysol thingy...

Goblin
07-20-2005, 11:43 PM
I have that smell too, thought my car was special. Going to try that lysol trick. Thanks