PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Coke Stage Lineup

rmk
05-31-2005, 11:08 AM
Free with your gate admission. Concerts start at 9:30PM except where indicated. Lookin pretty good!

2005 Lineup
PROJET ORANGE

Appearing: Thursday, July 7th at 7.00 P.M.

The name of Projet Orange's new release, Megaphobe, is an ironic illusion. This album is anything but the work of a band that's afraid to make it big. From a sheltered community, they were about to launch themselves into a much bigger pond. The brothers Boies needn't fear, the material on this record is not proof of their ability to switch from their mother tongue to English; it's a big, bold, border-breaking artistic statement. Megaphobe - a record that breathes, heaves, sets you adrift and reels you in. Pay attention. It's pretty much a guarantee that you'll get those fluttery butterfly feelings and a chill up your spine that comes from hearing a great band take flight.

STABILO
Artist Website

Appearing: Thursday, July 7 at 8:30PM

As natural as the progressions in their music, Stabilo have moved from barn shows to sold-out cross-country tours and a major label debut. The formula was simple: Keep writing, keep practising, keep gigging, and one day everybody will get it. And everybody did. After selling thousands of copies of their independently released album (under the name Stabilo Boss), Stabilo found themselves as the only indie band nominated in the Best New Rock Band category at the 2003 Canadian Radio Music Awards. The close friends work hard on writing new music, devoting hours each day to their art and enjoying every show for what it is. Says Nathan: "It's all about connecting, with ourselves, with everybody." Judging by Stabilo's steady rise to success, everybody agrees.

PETER ELKAS

Appearing: Friday, July 8 at 8:30PM

Peter Elkas ventured into unknown territory when he took the stage as a solo artist armed with only voice and guitar. He admits that at first that it was a challenge to go it alone. Occasionally the situation called for a band and when it did Peter looked to various musical peers to assemble what he dubbed the "Elkaholics. " Over the last year Peter and band have supported an impressive list of acts including Jet, Sam Roberts, Sloan and Joel Plaskett. MapleMusic Recordings released Party Of One, Peter's debut full-length album in September 14. Musically, Party of One, showcases Peter's rich vocals and skill on the guitar. Emotions are effectively, yet simply, captured and reflected. He writes with poignant honesty, singing about experiences to which all listeners can easily relate, although few would have the nerve to broach with such candor.

K-OS

Appearing: Friday, July 8

k-os is at the forefront of the generation of rap artists who are pushing the limits of hip hop culture (i.e. Andre 3000 of Outkast, Missy Elliot). He has even added to his musical repertoire by playing guitar and piano on a few of the new songs. Much like Lauryn Hill, the artist he's often compared to, this album is a testament to his rare ability to harmonize and emcee; ignoring any creative straitjackets imposed on him by narrow rap or R&B categorizations. Though k-os may be compared to many great artists, his versatility makes it almost impossible to truly compare him to any.

ROONEY

Appearing: Saturday, July 9

The essence of rock & roll is the ability to reinvigorate itself each generation. Consider Los Angeles' Rooney. What makes them timeless is simple: their songs. They love classic pop records, and it comes through in the way the quintet captures the beauty and heartache of being young and loving music. They've been working hard since the start. Rooney is renowned for their attention to detail in songwriting, arrangement, studio recording, and live performances. "We are a band with a strong sense of direction and intent. We're not a jam band," says Brower. "Each part has as purpose within the context of the song." Furthermore, this is a band that knows its rock history. Rooney's songs are like term papers on the song structure, lyric writing, and sounds of all the '60s English stuff that followed the Beatles.

HOT HOT HEAT

Appearing: Sunday, July 10

Pushing the limits has been the musical credo
for Hot Hot Heat from the very beginning. It was in the late 90's in the sleepy suburbs of Victoria, BC that vocalist and keyboardist Steve Bays first joined forces with drummer Paul Hawley and bassist Dustin Hawthorne to form the creative core of Hot Hot Heat. The group released their first full-length album, the aggro-epic Scenes One Through Thirteen even as they began playing extensively, both locally and up and down the west coast. After pumping out another EP, Knock Knock Knock in the spring of 2002, they returned to the studio almost immediately with producer Jack Endino of Nirvana fame to begin work on a full-length album. Cut in six days, Make Up The Breakdown and its hit singles "Bandages", "Talk To Me, Dance With Me" and "No, Not Now" earned the band critical raves and worldwide attention. It's a following sure to grow with their new album Elevator. Elevator is a fast ride to the top ranks of rock and roll from a band that has learned exactly how to push our buttons.

TERRI CLARK

Appearing: Monday July 11

Becoming one of the perennial Female Vocalist
of the Year nominees for the Academy of Country Music, Terri Clark's kind of country is straight-up and hard-hitting. USA Today deemed the ravishing power vocalist, "an unrepentant honky tonker in an era of divas." It's a dream come true for the young singer, having grown up in Medicine Hat, Alberta and moving to Nashville at age 18. "Even more than an award or a tour or a moment on the radio. I think music has been a vehicle for me to show people that their dreams can come true - because really I am not that different than they are." After signing to Mercury Records, she reached No. 3 with her first single, "Better Things to Do," followed by hits like "When Boy Meets Girl," a remake of "Poor Poor Pitiful Me" and "Now That I Found You." She hit No. 1 in 1998 with the song"Easy on the Eyes". Though she still lives in Nashville, Clark won the Canadian County Music Association Fans' Choice Entertainer of the Year in 1997, 2001, 2002 and 2003 and is sure to be a favorite at this year's Stampede!

STAYIN' ALIVE - A TRIBUTE TO THE BEE GEES

Appearing: Tuesday, July 12 at 9PM

ABBA-MANIA - A TRIBUTE TO ABBA

Appearing: Tuesday, July 12 at 10:30PM

A tremendous tribute to two of the biggest groups of all-time, you'll once again capture the vibe of the seventies and eighties. A trip down memory lane, Abba Mania recreates the live concert experience featuring one of the greatest pop groups of all time. This nine-piece band puts on a superb performance of Abba's all time greatest hits, recounting a little history (all in a Swedish accent of course) and grabbing people up on stage for a little boogying to "Dancing Queen." Featuring opening act Stayin' Alive, a tribute to the Bee Gees, you'll also hear the great hits of the Brothers Gibb, and re-live "Saturday Night Fever" - a night to remember at Coke Stage.

JEFF HEALEY

Appearing: Wednesday, July 13

Rendered blind since the age of one, Healey picked up his first guitar at the age of three and played it flat on his lap, inventing the revolutionary playing technique that became his signature style. By the age of six, Healey was performing in public and had already played in several bands by his teens. The Jeff Healey Trio released their debut album, "See the Light", in 1988 and the guitarist immediately developed a devoted following in blues-rock circles. Featuring the hit single "Angel Eyes," the record went platinum in the U.S. Healey went on to tour the world, top the pop/rock charts with his singles, receive nominations and awards by the dozens (Grammy Awards, Juno Awards, CASBY Awards, Toronto Music Awards, Q107 Rock Awards), and garner silver, gold and platinum sales in Canada, America and the UK.

THORNLEY

Appearing: Thursday, July 14

For Thornley, this new band is the culmination
of more than a decade's worth of playing and writing. After moving to Boston to study guitar in the early '90s, the young Canadian began jamming with a group of musicians who eventually coalesced into the band Big Wreck. "I became singer by default," he says, chuckling. "I was writing the stuff, and couldn't find anyone to sing it who I could stand listening to." Big Wreck recorded two albums for Atlantic Records, and enjoyed wide success with the 1998 track "The Oaf (My Luck Is Wasted)." But as much as Thornley enjoyed the instrumental complexities Big Wreck's songs afforded him, over time he found himself drawn to a more direct mode of expression. While Thornley is excited about the release of his latest album, he's even more stoked at the prospect of getting out on the road. "Bruce Springsteen was my first concert - my dad took me - and I was like, 'That's what I want to do,'" he says.

BOY

Appearing: Friday, July 15 at 8 PM

One of Canada's hottest new bands, Boy was formed in the Yukon by front man Stephen Kozmeniuk. Their self-titled debut album was released in 2003. With its sweet, seemingly effortless melodies and undeniable pop aplomb, the album was quickly championed by media and fellow musicians alike and attracted the attention of manager Larry Wanagas. Now backed by MapleMusic Recordings, the new album "Every Page You Turn" finds Kozmeniuk in cock-sure, collar-up rock 'n' roll mode. Their latest single and video "Up In This Town" has become a chart climber on Muchmusic and their appearance at the SSW Conference in Texas was featured on CBC's "This Morning".

THE TREWS

Appearing: Friday, July 15 at 9:30PM

The Trews have spent the past year touring across the country, again performing more than 200 shows from St. John's to Victoria. The Trews have now performed over 400 shows since recording their debut album, House Of Ill Fame. The Trews have headlined their own gigs in Canada, and have shared the stage with Three Days Grace, Sam Roberts, The Offspring, Finger Eleven, Big Sugar, Nickelback, Evanescence and Default. The Trews have earned a tremendous reputation from their impressive tour schedule, stellar stage presence and musicianship. The Trews were nominated for two 2004 East Coast Music Awards - "New Artist/Group Of The Year" and "Rock Recording Of The Year" and a 2004 Juno Award for "Best New Group." The Trews were also nominated for "Best Independent Video" at the 2004 MuchMusicVideo Awards.

DAVID USHER

Appearing: Saturday, July 16

David Usher is one of Canada's premiere songwriters and performers. He has enjoyed a long and celebrated career as a solo artist and
a member of Moist. His lifetime album sales with Moist and solo are now in excess of 1.2 million units in Canada. The new album "If God Had Curves" is a vivid series of reflections from an artist who embraces change in his own life as a means of cultivating new perspective and inspiration. An open discourse on religion, faith, love and politics, "If God Had Curves" ponders the increasing fanaticism and dogmatic nature of the world turning its back on a shared vision of humanity.

JEREMY FISHER

Appearing: Sunday, July 17 at 8:30PM

Jeremy Fisher has been on a long road home. Along the way, he has developed his craft by writing songs on his acoustic guitar and working them out in front of live audiences across the country. With the arrival of Let It Shine, his latest album and first on a major label, Jeremy Fisher has compiled a group of songs that resonate with honesty, humour and self-expression.
Written mostly while on the road touring, Let It Shine is a lyrical illustration of Jeremy's experiences of the world. "It's a tip of the hat to my influences," Jeremy explains "and depicts a snap shot of my life at that time." His debut release "Let It Shine" has spawned the top 5 Hit "High School" which has also received heavy video rotation at Much More Music and MTV2.

KALAN PORTER

Appearing: Sunday, July 17

An 18 year-old ranch hand from Medicine Hat Alberta, Kalan Porter won the Canadian Idol competition on September 16, 2004 beating out 8,977 other competitors. He immediately signed a recording contract with Sony / BMG Music Canada. The next day, Sony BMG released Awake in a Dream, the ballad then went on to become eight times platinum and remain on the top of Canada's single charts for over three months. It was the biggest-selling single debut ever for a Canadian artist. Porter's debut, full-length CD, "219 Days", was released on November 23, 2004 and debuted at Number Four on the national charts. "219 Days" is already double platinum (over 200,000 unit shipped), an amazing feat for a Canadian artist. Porter's second single, "Single," was released in early February of 2005 and rapidly climbed to the top of the Top 40 charts. On February 4, 2005, Porter kicked off a cross-country concert tour, which will saw him play over 40 sold-out dates across the country, including Toronto's legendary Massey Hall.

TERRY STOKES
Artist Website

Appearing: Daily @ 2:30 and 5:00PM and Thursday, July 7 at 10PM

Terry Stokes is known across America as "America's Favorite Hypnotist". From the small pubs and bars in Atlanta, GA, through the greatest fairs and outdoor shows in North America, to the finest showrooms in Las Vegas, TERRY STOKES has become the premier stage hypnotist of our time. TERRY'S on-stage charisma has made "The Terry Stokes Show" the most unforgettable entertainment experience available.

THE HEEBEE-JEEBEES

Appearing: July 8, 11, 12, 14, 15 at 12:30 PM and 3:30 PM

If laughter is the best medicine, you'd better increase your dosage of these guys. The Heebee-jeebees are an internationally acclaimed, award winning comic a cappella ensemble born and raised in Calgary. Their sidesplitting humour mixed with high energy musical arrangements will cure whatever ails ya!
The Heebee-jeebees have had 12 years of musical highlights and zany antics entertaining thousands of family audiences throughout North America. They have released 5 CDs and won 3 International CARA Awards - the "Grammys" of a cappella music. Two-time Canadian A Cappella Champions, they have performed in Big Sky '95, the Calgary International Children's Festival and have opened for the living legends Percy Sledge and Clarence " the Frogman" Henry in New Orleans. So, grab some friends and some mini-doughnuts and sing along! The best prescription for an afternoon of family fun is the Heebee-jeebees at the Calgary Stampede. The laughter is contagious. Cedric Blary, Chris Herard, Ken Lima-Coelho and Jonathan Love are the Heebee-jeebees… the most FUN you've ever heard!

Appearance times and dates are subject to change.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

hustler
05-31-2005, 01:43 PM
woohoo for K-OS

civic_stylez
05-31-2005, 01:48 PM
thornley is awesome, i cant wait for them to play. its a way better lineup than last year..

QuasarCav
05-31-2005, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by civic_stylez
thornley is awesome, i cant wait for them to play. its a way better lineup than last year..

IMO that's about the only thing going for the coke stage this year.

Kalan Porter, and a bunch of other CJAY misfits dont really do it for me.

rmk
05-31-2005, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

IMO that's about the only thing going for the coke stage this year.

Kalan Porter, and a bunch of other CJAY misfits dont really do it for me.

barney's sing a longs is also going down every afternoon :thumbsup:

i do like rooney though.

ronaldo
05-31-2005, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by hustler
woohoo for K-OS

:werd: thatll b wickked

DEREK57
05-31-2005, 06:29 PM
Hot hot heat and Jeff Healey should be good. I'm really surprised to see him in the line-up. The Trews would be the worst show IMO.

Canmorite
05-31-2005, 06:55 PM
Well, nothing that I want to see.

method
05-31-2005, 07:01 PM
I'd see k-os, thornley, hot hot heat, rooney, and boy

maybe the trews..

pearljam
05-31-2005, 08:17 PM
Jeff Healy is fucking lame, hopefully he will pull out now that he has cancer

asp integra
06-01-2005, 08:21 PM
that line up sucks compared to last year, the only person worth seeing this year is k os, IMO 1 show from sum 41 last year destroys all those acts put together!

Xtrema
06-01-2005, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by asp integra
that line up sucks compared to last year, the only person worth seeing this year is k os, IMO 1 show from sum 41 last year destroys all those acts put together!

:werd:

ThaSpirit
06-02-2005, 09:46 PM
I'll pay the gate admission to see boy if it's a nice friday night. I missed their show when I was up in Edmonton. If you go see boy, it helps that if oyu're interested you can just park your butt there and watch the trews right after.

hockeybronx
06-06-2005, 11:18 PM
I'm kind of disappointed with this years line-up, usually it's the highlight of my Stampede but I don't think there's anybody I want to go see.

Last year I went to see The Ataris, Default, and Sum 41, and the year before I went to see The Tea Party, and Eve 6. All those concerts were unbelievable:thumbsup:

asp integra
06-06-2005, 11:31 PM
ya totally^ who knows, maybe cowboys and some other bars will have good acts

Nissanaddict
06-06-2005, 11:55 PM
no tea party? Damn. They fuggin rocked out last year good....finger eleven was great too.

hockeybronx
06-07-2005, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by asp integra
ya totally^ who knows, maybe cowboys and some other bars will have good acts

Yeah definitely we'll have to see what else comes our way this year.

Originally posted by Nissanaddict
no tea party? Damn. They fuggin rocked out last year good....finger eleven was great too.

I forgot about Finger Eleven being here last year too, I can't remember but I had something going on... I really wanted to see that show.

lam-boy
06-07-2005, 12:53 AM
k-os and hot hot heat :thumbsup:

Lo)2enz0
06-07-2005, 03:00 AM
I will probably go down to the grounds and have the meaning to go, but like last year, I will get to drunk in the beer gardens and end up gambling.